account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Curious about what is happening at IFA?
Read more and discuss the press conference here.

NFC not working on a Z5.

SOLVED
Highlighted
Visitor
Message 1 of 15
Message 1 of 15

NFC not working on a Z5.

I bought a Z5 the other day and I haven't tried NFC until I got me a scr42 style cover for it. I noticed the smart window function doesn't work and realised that the phone doesn't display the NFC icon in the status bar. I've tried activating NFC from both the pull-down menu and the settings and in both the option lights up as if it were enabled, but the icon does not appear and the phone doesn't react to the tag on the cover. Is there something I'm missing or is this a known problem with an android version or the phone itself?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Forum Legend
Message 5 of 15
Message 5 of 15

Re: NFC not working on a Z5.

Hi,

As far as I know, the NFC icon is not shown in status field for the Z5. This can depend on the software and its customization.

sony_sign_logo.png - Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums make sure that you have read our Discussion guidelines.
If you want to get in touch with the local support team for your country please visit our contact page.

14 REPLIES 14
Master
Message 2 of 15
Message 2 of 15

I suggest that you try to repair the phone software using PC Companion..

If you're new to our forums make sure that you have read our Discussion guidelines.
If you want to get in touch with the local support team for your country please visit our contact page.

Adviser
Message 3 of 15
Message 3 of 15

NFC works fine on mine.

Have you tried settings/support/diag/testnfc ?

Do you have any other NFC tags you can try?

Visitor
Message 4 of 15
Message 4 of 15

Ok it seems that after software repair, the phone reacts to nfc tags, but I still can't get the icon to appear in the status bar. In the options there is a section to choose which statuses the status bar displays and nfc is not an option. Is this the way it's supposed to be? I remember seeing pictures of the phone with the nfc symbol visible in the status bar so I'm a little bit confused.

To put it short: Nfc works, but no icon in the status bar.

Forum Legend
Message 5 of 15
Message 5 of 15

Hi,

As far as I know, the NFC icon is not shown in status field for the Z5. This can depend on the software and its customization.

Visitor
Message 6 of 15
Message 6 of 15

Alright, thanks for clearing that up.

One time poster
Message 7 of 15
Message 7 of 15

I have a slightly different perspective. If use the phone outside of the Sony Sc42 case the NFC and tags work well. But when the phone is in the Sc42 case the NFC will not read tags that are tapped on on the back(over the correct position on the phone)

Anyone any ideas why an official Sony case will not allow NFC to work?
Message 8 of 15
Message 8 of 15

Just to clarify: The screen must be on for NFC to work.

The NFC icon is enabled in some firmwares (I believe German for example) and disabled in others (e.g. Central Europe) but it should be working when activated nontheless.

Apprentice
Message 9 of 15
Message 9 of 15

its probably because your cellphone is overheating alot. the NFC is located where the logo is present in the back so its right behind the mirowaved battery by the SUPER POWER CPU. i am sure your NFC is fried by now. probably all of ours is.

One time poster
Message 10 of 15
Message 10 of 15

I just fixed this issue take the cover off.
Turn on nfc on the phone.
Touch the nfc from the cover ( inside under the window)
It connect.
Put on the case n close..
Nfc needs to stay on..