account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Troubleshoot, find support articles, run tests with the support app directly on your phone.
Read more and discuss the app here.

My Sony Xperia z5 died and I want to open the backup file of contacts

SOLVED
Learner
Message 1 of 5
Message 1 of 5

My Sony Xperia z5 died and I want to open the backup file of contacts

Hello all,
My Sony Xperia z5 died.
I am able to connect the usb and make a backup with sony companion.
The contact file output is someking of encrypted xml file that I can't read/import to other phone.

1) How do I convert this into a csv or vcard file ?
Or
2) How can I read the content ?

Thank  you Slightly smiling Face

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Learner
Message 5 of 5
Message 5 of 5

Re: My Sony Xperia z5 died and I want to open the backup file of contacts

I managed to find another old sony phone and use Companion to restore the contacts to it.
Than it was easy to use 3th party app to transfer the contacts and also save them as csv file.

By the way, when you use "xperia Transfer" in "Sony companion" you can also restore in the same time the contacts to a Google accounts.
If I knew that in the first place I would have use that option and extract the contacts from Google there.

The main purpose was to move the contacts to a new Samsung phone.
I think this is very narrow minded to prevent users to have there data easily (in a common format) unless you keep working with the same brand products.

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Learner
Message 2 of 5
Message 2 of 5

Anyone please ? I really need a solution.

Apprentice
Message 3 of 5
Message 3 of 5

did computer / laptop detect your phone when you attach it

Learner
Message 4 of 5
Message 4 of 5

Yes. But very difficult to operate as the screen isn't working (the touch is though Slightly smiling Face ).
Bottom line is that I have the backup files from sony companion.
How to convert the contacts file to csv or Vcard file?
Or any other suggestion will be appreciated Slightly smiling Face
Thanks

Learner
Message 5 of 5
Message 5 of 5

I managed to find another old sony phone and use Companion to restore the contacts to it.
Than it was easy to use 3th party app to transfer the contacts and also save them as csv file.

By the way, when you use "xperia Transfer" in "Sony companion" you can also restore in the same time the contacts to a Google accounts.
If I knew that in the first place I would have use that option and extract the contacts from Google there.

The main purpose was to move the contacts to a new Samsung phone.
I think this is very narrow minded to prevent users to have there data easily (in a common format) unless you keep working with the same brand products.