account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Troubleshoot, find support articles, run tests directly on your phone with the support application.
Read more and discuss the app here.

Insane battery drain for nougat

One time poster
Message 171 of 300
Message 171 of 300

Re: Insane battery drain for nougat

I'm also having this issue... ever since the last Nugat update battery is droping to 35% after only 2 to 3 hours(!)

I tried to do a factory reset but it didn't help at all... witch makes me think that the issue is with the update itself...

Learner
Message 172 of 300
Message 172 of 300

Hi, I'm having the same battery drain problem.

I been following this thread for some time and tried all the tips posted... nothing worked. I even tried downgrading as posted in message 113(could not find a Marshmallow-version that fits). 

Nothing is working and must say I'm very dissatisfied with Sony passive approach to this issue. 

I'm hoping for at fix when Nougat 7.1.2 gets rolled out in July(?) other wise it might be a new phone brand.

Cheers

Adviser
Message 173 of 300
Message 173 of 300

OleErnst, i hate to blow your bubble. I do not believe you will get any reprieve from that update owing to the following observations: 1) Each time Google releases the updates, they get loaded onto their Google brands of phones first. Thereafter, they get released to other phone manufacturers. For some reason, Sony always gets them and releases them to us much later. 2) Despite Sony releasing these patches/updates much later (most times more than 3 months later), they do not take time to test them and establish whether they will work with Sony devices before releasing to us. The end result is that we end up taking in all the bugs and irrespective of how many of us complain, nothing happens and in many cases; no help comes from Sony. The Android Nougat 7.1.2 update was released to the Nexus and Pixel devices in March 2017 without a fix to most of the issues we have been wailing about. Just watch this space and see whether our issues will be any different. My observations on a Sony Xperia z5 dual (E6633) throughout the following updates/Android Nougat 7.0 builds 32.3.A.0.372, 32.3.A.0.376 and most recently 32.3.A.2.23 have been approximately the same (with the only exception or single fix having been that of call volume imbalance between ear piece and mouth piece). If what the Pixel and Nexus user complaints as well as Sony's behaviour with Nougat thus far are anything to go by, I wouldn't upgrade to that July update if I were you; unless the intention is to have some (if not all) of the following: boot loops, installation problems, issues with the fingerprint sensor, camera problems, various problems with Bluetooth, charging problems, problems typing, abnormal battery drain, cellular data issues, issues with Wi-Fi, problems with the microphone, various issues with sound, issues with Google Assistant

Inhabitant
Message 174 of 300
Message 174 of 300

Hi

I've had similar problemse with my Z5 - but after I removed the following 3rd party software my phone has acctually been working faster and the battery drain has gone down grately - 360 Security ! This seems to have been tempering with a lot of the basic functionality on my phone. I'm not 100 % sure that this was the major problem - but after I removed this software my phone holds the battery like never before :-)

So just a tip from me

Droopy
Learner
Message 175 of 300
Message 175 of 300

Possible soultion for Battery and Data drian on Nougat

Had major issues with this problem since Nougat.

Have tried everything, disabling apps, turning off all syncs, disabling email account, factory reset, sending phone back to Sony. restricting permissions on apps, Etc......

My Solution is: TURN OFF LOCATION

Data use has gone down from a daily 10MB background data to a few KBs a day

And Battery Life has extended to almost 3days

I have put a shortcut to my home screen for Locations settings if I need to use Google maps.

Having location on all the time was handy, but since Nougat update my background data use got out of control.

I'm not sure if there is an underlying issue with my Google account or something  that could fix the issue, but I've spend so much time tracing down the problem I happy with my fix.

Hope this helps.  

One time poster
Message 176 of 300
Message 176 of 300

If you want to do a clean  install of the stock rom 6.0.1(downgroad) you can always use flashtools and xperifirm to get it, it wont need big knowledge to do it, and i will do it right now since this nougat update ruined a very good terminal. 

If you´re interested check on youtube how to use flashtools and thats it, not big deal and just wait till´ sony says something

One time poster
Message 177 of 300
Message 177 of 300

Exactly the same problem with the same build 33.2.A.3.32.

Please Sony, do something for us, we love your smartphones and spend a big amount of money for them!

My Z5 must last at least one day !

Adviser
Message 178 of 300
Message 178 of 300

It turns out that Google has changed the way Location works within Android O beta release. They believe it will solve the battery drain issue or reduce it substantially. Has anyone picked up and installed an unofficial beta ftf on any z5 dual? If so, how are the results? Considering the fact that the official ones released by Sony come months late, untested and precisely with all the issues that Google gadget owners experienced at the time of release; is this not a better option?

Highlighted
One time poster
Message 179 of 300
Message 179 of 300

Hi Emir

I have updated to Android 7 system update only a few days ago and every day since the last update my Z5 has been fully charged in the morning to 100% and then I have issues whilst listening to Bluetooth music in car (Spotify) and receiving or making calls by Bluetooth. This was fine before the update.

Then around mid afternoon or early evening each day I have experienced an extremely hot phone, sometimes the phone has switched itself off or restarted itself and when I check it I learn there has also been a huge drain in battery. 

Prior to this recent Android 7 update I used to get a day and a bit or day and a half with moderate to low usage of phone throughout the day. 

As to battery usage in the Settings, it appears Phone Idle and Android System are the biggest killers. See screenshot of battery usage graph. 

Hopeful for Sony's help before I make any decision to purchase a new phone. 

Screenshot_20170524-203940.png

Learner
Message 180 of 300
Message 180 of 300

Here’s how to fix Battery Drain issue in Android Nougat 7.0 and 7.1.1

Make sure that you have made a backup of all data on phone on computer or external storage.
Do not make a backup of user installed apps using any utility. Just get the list afterwards from Play Store’s My Apps tab.
Go to Settings > Backup and Reset.
Perform a factory reset and wipe all data.
It will restart the phone.
When the phone turns on again, one by one open each app and give the permissions you want to.
This is make the OTA installation work more like the clean install.
It should fix the battery issues on your Nougat firmware right away.
Also make sure to charge the phone once without using it.
If this method does not work, then you have to do to a clean install. Otherwise this issue might persist. Even the future updates from Google might not be able to fix it. There are some more useful tips in Sony Xperia Z5 Manual that you can use to save battery on your phone.