account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

If you want to get the max out of your Xperia phone then check out Xperia tips page.

Insane battery drain for nougat

ezy
Commissioner
Message 61 of 300
Message 61 of 300

Re: Insane battery drain for nougat

Last night i charged the phone to 100%... then just turned the ring volume down to low and put the phone on a table...

12 hours later i picked the phone up and unlocked the screen...  there were several text, email, whatsapp notifications and a battery of 92% left...

so that would suggest its when the phone is being "used" (always waking the screen to look at it) is when the battery gets killed...   even though i have my screen on about 10% brightness....

Rookie
Message 62 of 300
Message 62 of 300

After 2 weeks, Sony does nothing and says nothing.

This will be the last thing I buy from Sony! Gratz, you just made it into the black list.

Learner
Message 63 of 300
Message 63 of 300

Yes, this is what makes me most upset as well. Mistakes happen, we all make them. It's probably not easy to release new Firmware to older devices and make everything work flawlessly right from the start.

But when hundreds and thousands of people are complaining about exactly the same issue, then you could at least acknowledge that there might be a problem and say "Okay people, we don't understand what's going on yet, but we will look into it ASAP. Please be patient.". Instead not saying anything at all after WEEKS of people reporting the same problems, it's a slap in anyone's face who installed this update. Did the update description contain a note about  "Lots of people complain about seriously reduced battery runtime"? No. It contains some blabla about Doze and ehanced STAMINA Mode that prolongs battery life. It's all marketing bull**bleep**, worse, it's lies! I haven't seen a single (!), not one single (!!!) person on the whole internet reporting increased battery life after installing the Nougat update. Almost everyone says it's worse, a few say it's always been bad and they don't notice a difference.

Well, I hate to say it, but... If this doesn't get fixed, I'll be forced to try and downgrage my phone. When I then get the performanse from 6.0.1 that I was used to, I can live with it until fall of this year when the device turns 2 years old and I get a new one with a new contract. If I'm not able to downgrade, then the local customer care and I will become very close friend, as we'll talk every single day until this gets fixed...

This is a joke, a bad one. At least admit "Yes, there could be a minimal problem in the battery area and we have no clue what's going on nor do we have intentions of telling our single 13 year old developer to fix this, as he's probably not even able to.".

Well played.

Enthusiast
Message 64 of 300
Message 64 of 300

@ezy wrote:

Last night i charged the phone to 100%... then just turned the ring volume down to low and put the phone on a table...

12 hours later i picked the phone up and unlocked the screen...  there were several text, email, whatsapp notifications and a battery of 92% left...

so that would suggest its when the phone is being "used" (always waking the screen to look at it) is when the battery gets killed...   even though i have my screen on about 10% brightness....

I also tested the phone overnight and don't see an insane battery drain. Usually 6-8% overnight.

However, I feel a battery drain. Not extreme but yes, the battery lasts less than Marshmallow. At least when using apps like Facebook, Chrome and such.

Highlighted
Apprentice
Message 65 of 300
Message 65 of 300

Re: HI after upgrading my phone it started heating.

Hmmm, my phone works as a pocket stove, well. Without anything to do ;-)

Please be realistic. There are some topics to clearify. 

Battery drain

Heating phone

Bluetooth issues

SONY: It is YOUR turn now!

Learner
Message 66 of 300
Message 66 of 300

Re: HI after upgrading my phone it started heating.

Yeap...same here as well.
It is a pity since i really like the nougat update, but now i wish i could go back to marshmallow.
One time poster
Message 67 of 300
Message 67 of 300

hello i have the same problem question is a way to downgrade to the original os that came the phone when i bought it? cuz with all the updates i had seen the battery is drained more and more Face with stuck-out Tongue

One time poster
Message 68 of 300
Message 68 of 300

Same problem here on my Z5 compact.

Yesterday evening 100% charged. This morning remaining 69% (with Stamina mode always on).

Power consumption:

• Android OS: 46%
  • Phone idle: 30%
  • Bluetooth: 8%
  • Cell standby: 6%
  • Android System: 3%
ezy
Commissioner
Message 69 of 300
Message 69 of 300

it would be interesting to know what "android os" is doing when the phone should be idle...

the android os seems to cover too many processes and thus hide what could be "awake" and active and cuasing a drain..

because you would think that breakdown should have phone idle & cell standby as the top not android o/s

Learner
Message 70 of 300
Message 70 of 300

So, will Sony officially address thiss issue?

I think it's clearly been established in this thread, that the problem comes with the Nougat update and isn't caused by various different apps that all the affected people have installed.

Is this now how things are and will remain in the future, or will Sony try to fix this by rolling out an update fixing this problem?

If the latter won't happen, I would appreciate instructions about how I can install the previous stable Marshmallow 6.0.1, which had none of the issues described in this thread. I'd rather have a battery that lasts 30 instead of 8 hours instead of a few small features I don't really need, even though they would be nice. I need to get my phone to get me through a whole day, that means at the very least 24 hours, and now I can't even reach half, unless I'm just putting it in airplane mode and let it sit on the table...