account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

If you want to get the max out of your Xperia phone then check out Xperia tips page.

Huge battery drain with Marshmallow. Android OS never lets phone sleep

SOLVED
One time poster
Message 11 of 51
Message 11 of 51

Re: Huge battery drain with Marshmallow. Android OS never lets phone sleep

I have the same problem. I tried factory reset, repair through Sony Bridge for Mac, and flashtool, but the problem is still there. Android system is always on the battery usage, which drains my battery . Do you have any suggestions for that matter? Last night I charged my Z5 fully, and now the battery is empty eventhough I haven't touched it. 

Highlighted
Adept
Message 12 of 51
Message 12 of 51

Same problem here the android system use the 20% the my battery I'm desperate and I don't know what to do
Adviser
Message 13 of 51
Message 13 of 51

My Z5 Premium Dual was giving me 1.5 days battery when I was using Stamina mode during Lollipop days...but this superb feature is now missing after I received Marshmallow update (it seems due to native Doze mode from this OS)...and now I need to charge my phone by mid day! Totally unacceptable especially when I bought this phone primarily due to Sony's product claim of providing 2-day battery life (via Stamina mode). I've called and written to Sony asking for reinstatement of Stamina and Ultra Stamina mode. You should do the same.
One time poster
Message 14 of 51
Message 14 of 51

Finally got the Marshmallow update yesterday.

This morning took my Z5 off overnight charge (100%).  Sat in bed using the phone (reading Pocket) and just noticed the battery level had reduced to 28% !

In 90m of normal usage (reading)?   Battery app reported that 50% of my battery usage was screen.

Suddenly I want to lick my lollipop again. Defintiely my first and last Sony mobile.

Learner
Message 15 of 51
Message 15 of 51

Doze mode is not working as god as stamina mode. Need to recharge battery in the evening now wich I didnt have to do before the update. Give me back the stamina mode.
Regular
Message 16 of 51
Message 16 of 51

Ok, So my phones battery usage has returned to normal.

I did some testing and found that it must be some wakelock that is causing my phone to stay awake and not go to sleep. I have narrowed it down to 2 things.

1. Bluetooth: When my phone disconnects from my cars bluetooth, I think a wake lock happens and something keeps the phone awake and doesn't allow it to go to sleep or doze. A restart usually fixes the issue. But then again, sometimes this does not happend.

2. Uni WiFi. On my Uni WiFi, especially the eduroam network, the phone stays awake too, if i forget the eduroam network (or just switch WiFi off), and restart the phone, the issue does not return.

Im not sure what exactly causes these to happen. But i have found that either one or the other sometimes cause the phone to constantly stay awake. I would love to do more troubleshooting but I am not rooted and dont want to tamper with the phone any further.

Not using the eduroam WiFi network, or not using my cars bluetooth stereo seems to prevent the phone from staying awake.

Now, i get 1-2 days battery life with 3-4.5 hours screen on time. But on average my phone lasts me easily 1 day with around 50-60% remining when i am in bed.

View solution in original post

One time poster
Message 17 of 51
Message 17 of 51

I updated my Z2 yesterday to Marshmallow and therez no stamina mode... I agree 100% to the above comment
Enthusiast
Message 18 of 51
Message 18 of 51

Can you check if location improvement from bluetooth and wifi is on
One time poster
Message 19 of 51
Message 19 of 51

I'd been experiencing this horrible problem after updating to 6.0.1, and after many attempts, now the battery drain had stopped. Not sure if it'll happen again, but today was the very first day after the update when I unplugged from the charger and spending 9 hours outside, and only 15% used. I think there was multiple problems going on behind my Xperia Z3 Compact (D5803).

The factory reset I did (start button and volume up) did nothing to fix it.

It appeared to be multiple issues caused by Google services and Wifi.

#1: It could be the location service running behind with apps. I forcefully terminated location serice on some of the apps.

#2: Someone already mentioned here - I had two devices both Xperia tablet and my Z3C simultaneously getting location service from same Google account. I disabled the tablet's location service.

#3: Disabling Wifi search. I was manually disabling Wifi, but I think you can actually go to Developer Option and turn on to force switch to mobile network when Wifi signal is weak instead of searching for Wifi network.

After playing with these settings, I think the battery drain stopped. By the way, I am not using battery saver mode or Airplane mode. I spent 3 weeks trying to fix it, but I hoping these had resolved my problem.

Hope this post give you some hint.
Enthusiast
Message 20 of 51
Message 20 of 51

Nothing of this helped for my problem. Android System is still draining my battery on XPERIA Z5.