account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Troubleshoot, find support articles, run tests directly on your phone with the support application.
Read more and discuss the app here.

How to fix 'can't play video' error

One time poster
Message 1 of 15
Message 1 of 15

How to fix 'can't play video' error

From few days I'm facing this problem of can't play video in all of video player apps.. Please help with resolving this problem... Shall I uninstall the updates of Google apps... Will dat fix this issue?
14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
Message 2 of 15

Re: How to fix 'can't play video' error

I'd suggest performing a reset or software repair using Xperia Companion, you'll need to backup your data first.

Feel free to kudo this post or mark it as solution so that other users facing the same issue can find it

Disclaimer: Moderators are not affiliated with or work for Sony Mobile, their posts represent their own opinions and views. Click here to find out more about the different roles in the community.

Sony Xperia Support
Message 3 of 15
Message 3 of 15

Hi Pratik_jain,

Welcome to the community,

I'm sorry to hear about this issue, however. I am having some trouble understanding what video player you are referring to, is this related to Videos taken with the camera, or do you mean you cannot play videos online?

I am sorry for this inconvenience.

Please let us know.

Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums, make sure that you've read our Discussion guidelines.

To get in touch with your local support team, please visit our contact page.

One time poster
Message 4 of 15
Message 4 of 15

I have the same issue, i've watched the video I made once or twice and after its no longer possible with popup window "Cannot play video".....  The same with a cnown issue with grey box in photo's. Thoes not matter if its sd card or internal, or moved on PC...

One time poster
Message 5 of 15
Message 5 of 15

Hi Jake,

I am experiancing the same issue. videos taken from the phone as well as downloaded video from my GoPro Hero 4 does not play. File format is .mp4. Already tried running in safe mode but still the same issue. My girlfriend is using an Experia Z and she is experiencing this too. 

Let us know what to do.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Erik

One time poster
Message 6 of 15
Message 6 of 15

I am also facing the same issue.
Smartphone: Sony Xperia XA

Error: :Video Can't Play."

Video type: sony camera made videos as well as whatsApp videos.
applcation used: Album.

fix it ASAP.!!

One time poster
Message 7 of 15
Message 7 of 15

I had the same problem with my phone and all I did was to restart the phone 📱 and it worked fine. 

Visitor
Message 8 of 15
Message 8 of 15

restart fixed mine also. cannot play video error in album app. trying to play camera video or mobizen .mp4 clips

One time poster
Message 9 of 15
Message 9 of 15

Cant play video on my sony experia

One time poster
Message 10 of 15
Message 10 of 15

Same issue with my X Compact. Videos won't play in Instagram or even the videos I took with the stock Camera app.

Issue still persists in 2018. Why is your software so buggy Sony? Will have to shop around for my next phone.