account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Troubleshoot, find support articles, run tests directly on your phone with the support application.
Read more and discuss the app here.

How do I set read/write permissions before plugging it into a computer?

Adviser
Message 1 of 5
Message 1 of 5

How do I set read/write permissions before plugging it into a computer?

My Xperia Z5 Premium has a cracked screen. I can see what is on the screen, but I can only tap on the lower half. As such, I was unable to even unlock my phone prior to buying an OTG adapter and a USB-C mouse. After I got it, I found I could navigate the contents of the phone and everything was fine so I wanted to move everything onto my computer so that I could take the phone to be repaired.

The problem is that, in order to transfer files, I have to give it permission each and every time it is plugged in, but I can't actually click to give it permission without having the mouse plugged in, which I can't do while it is plugged into the computer. 

What I'd like to know is if there is any way to tell it to allow file transfers when plugged in prior to being plugged in. Like a permanent trigger. I know it's a security feature, but I can't access my data any other way. While I could transfer some files to an SD card, other android security features prevent me from backing everything up that way and I want to use the Sony Xperia software.

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Scavenger Hunt Winner
Message 2 of 5
Message 2 of 5

Re: How do I set read/write permissions before plugging it into a computer?

@Elliander wrote:

My Xperia Z5 Premium has a cracked screen. I can see what is on the screen, but I can only tap on the lower half. As such, I was unable to even unlock my phone prior to buying an OTG adapter and a USB-C mouse. After I got it, I found I could navigate the contents of the phone and everything was fine so I wanted to move everything onto my computer so that I could take the phone to be repaired.

The problem is that, in order to transfer files, I have to give it permission each and every time it is plugged in, but I can't actually click to give it permission without having the mouse plugged in, which I can't do while it is plugged into the computer. 

What I'd like to know is if there is any way to tell it to allow file transfers when plugged in prior to being plugged in. Like a permanent trigger. I know it's a security feature, but I can't access my data any other way. While I could transfer some files to an SD card, other android security features prevent me from backing everything up that way and I want to use the Sony Xperia software.

this is by far one of the most trivial and stupid processes when using Google's "Download" file manager system

when you  get the pop up to grant permission, you're taken to the "Download" app, here select your OTG, then make sure your currently viewing the root directory of the OTG, use the drop down menu to go to the OTG root , and you should see a "select" button in text ... Tap this, and that will grant access to the root folder of the OTG, there by granting R/W access to children directories located within the "root folder"

sketch-1516501023169.png  sketch-1516501429123.png

//----------------- C:\》$ Path- Thyme: .trawler //-----------------Auto-Correct Disclaimer: Not sorry. //----------------- Batteries not included.
Adviser
Message 3 of 5
Message 3 of 5

... I don't think you read my question. I am not trying to use an OTG device for file transfer. I am using an OTG device for an on screen mouse so that I can unlock the screen and grant permissions.

What I am trying to do is use Sony Xperia Update Tool (On a Windows 10 PC) to backup the contents of a Sony phone, but am unable to do so because I can't click the screen with my finger, only with a mouse. As I said, there are just certain things I can't do due to Google's limitations on Android so "I want to use the Sony Xperia software."

Please re-read the question. There is no download prompt when I plug my phone into my computer. The default setting is "charging only" and I want the default to be file transfers. I'm not using any apps here either.

Adviser
Message 4 of 5
Message 4 of 5

I'm still waiting on a solution here. The only person to respond assumed that I wanted to transfer files to a USB device, when I explicitly stated that I wanted to use the Xperia backup tools on a computer to backup EVERYTHING prior to repair. Even the very topic of this thread makes that clear: "How do I set read/write permissions before plugging it into a computer?" 

I need a way to tell the phone to allow file transfers when it is plugged into a computer via a USB cable by default because I am unable to select an option after plugging it in due the the cracked screen. I can only select things with a mouse pointer, and only when I plug it into the phone prior to booting the phone up.

Forum Legend
Message 5 of 5
Message 5 of 5

@Ellianderhave you tried to use Xperia Companion?

________________________________________________________________________________
The Man! The Myth! The Forum Legend! -Scott Sterling