account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

If you want to get the max out of your Xperia phone then check out Xperia tips page.

[HOW TO] Deal with finger print issues

Adviser
Message 1 of 5
Message 1 of 5

[HOW TO] Deal with finger print issues

Hi.. As we know some of Xperia Z5 users are having a horrible issues with their fingerprint scanner.. For me.. It was like a pain.. I nearly never unlocked my phone using my fingerprint since I bought it.. BUT finally I found the solution and I would like to share it with you to help me improving it or thinking in some thing else ! Thinking Face

«The Cause»
The main cause of these issues is that in some XZ5 units ( maybe the Earlier ones ) they has a so sensitivey fingerprint, In other words.. If your finger has a little bit dirt or oil it will NEVER unlock!

«The solution»[Finally after ONE year of trying]

46_232_82648b.jpg

All we need to do is to install an insulator on the FingerPrint Sensor but we can't use anything.. We must chose a very thin and clear one.. I searched a lot and finally find the perfect insulator : " Tape ".. Yeah this is our hero! Just cut a nano piece and install it on your sensor and everything should work fine Smiling Face

Fact : I tried to install it on GS6 device and the sensor couldn't take any fingerprints which mean our device has a more powerful sensor so be proud guys :smileysmileythumbsup:

«BUGS»
- NOT easy to install ( you need a very steady hand)
- The insulator always gets dirt
- Over days it will start getting off the sensor

«Disques»
Can you guys suggest any other material to use? Or maybe other solutions..

4 REPLIES 4
Enthusiast
Message 2 of 5
Message 2 of 5

Re: [HOW TO] Deal with finger print issues

Great

-------------------------------------------------------
Xperia Z5 Premium (E6853) | Xperia Z1 (C6903)
Sony Xperia Support
Message 3 of 5
Message 3 of 5

Here's some tips if you're having touble with your fingerprint scanner:

Q: My device does not recognize my fingerprint

A: Try these methods one after the other. Verify whether the problem was solved after each method, before trying the next one.

• To unlock the device, simply touch the power key with a finger that you have registered as a fingerprint. After you press the power key to wake up your device, do not press it again. If you do, your device will return to standby.
  • Check if the fingerprint sensor recognizes your finger by looking for the message “Try again” at the bottom of the screen when you touch the power key.  If you don’t see the message, make sure that both your finger and the power key are clean and dry. Use a clean, dry cloth to wipe off any dirt or moisture from your finger and the power key before trying again.
  • Restart your phone and register your fingerprint again.
  • Unlock your device with your backup PIN or password. Using the Fingerprint Manager, delete all the registered fingerprints and register your fingerprint again.
  • Any dents and scratches on, or near, the fingerprint sensor in the power key may decrease the recognition rate of the fingerprint function.
  • Make sure that no protective cover or case blocks the fingerprint sensor located in the power key.

Q: What can I do to improve the reading of the fingerprint sensor?

A: 

• Dirt or moisture on your finger or the power key during the registration of your fingerprint can affect the sensor’s ability to later recognize your fingerprint. 
  • Use a clean, dry cloth to wipe off any dirt or moisture from your finger and the power key before registering your fingerprint.
  • Using the Fingerprint Manager, you can register a fingerprint up to five times to improve the recognition rate of the fingerprint sensor.  
  • Make sure that you do not only register the center area of your fingerprint. Between each vibration of the power key during the registration process, move your finger slightly upwards, downwards and sideways to include a wider area of your fingerprint in the registration.
  • The condition of your skin, such as cuts, dryness, or moisture may have an effect on the fingerprint recognition rate.
  • Any activity that may affect the state of your skin, such as showering, cooking or exercise, can have an effect on the fingerprint recognition rate.
  • Any dents and scratches on, or near, the fingerprint sensor in the power key may decrease the recognition rate of the fingerprint function.

Q: How can I unlock my device when my finger is wet?

A: 
Since fingerprint recognition may be affected by moisture, you should dry your hands before unlocking your device. After swimming or a shower, it may take a while for your fingers to dry completely. If your fingers are too wet for the fingerprint function to work, unlock your device with your backup PIN or password.

Q: Why does the first attempt to unlock my device using fingerprint fail?

A: After you have pressed the power button to wake up your device, do not press it again. To unlock the device, simply touch it with a finger that you have registered as a fingerprint. If you press too hard, your fingerprint may be distorted.

Q: Which activities or substances can affect the fingerprint recognition rate?

A: Any activity that may affect the state of your skin, such as showering, cooking or exercise, can have an effect on the fingerprint recognition rate.
Fingerprint recognition rate may be affected by dirt and by moisture such as sweat, lotions, and oils. The general condition of your skin, such as dryness or cuts, may also affect fingerprint recognition rate.

Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums, make sure that you've read our Discussion guidelines.

To get in touch with your local support team, please visit our contact page.

One time poster
Message 4 of 5
Message 4 of 5

Fingerprint not working

In my Xperia Z5 the Fingerprint isn't working. 

Highlighted
One time poster
Message 5 of 5
Message 5 of 5

How did you use the tape for this solution you mention here? 
Btw, in my Xperia Z5 Compact its happening that fingerprint sensor configuration is gone :'(