account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Troubleshoot, find support articles, run tests with the support app directly on your phone.
Read more and discuss the app here.

Google Play Movies & TV playback issues after recent update

One time poster
Message 11 of 16
Message 11 of 16

Re: Google Play Movies & TV playback issues after recent update

So what can we do about this? It's not really acceptable that Sony should be pushing updates for hardware that is not compatible with the updated software.

Rookie
Message 12 of 16
Message 12 of 16

Ah so it isn't just me then. 

I'm running an Xperia z5 compact. Netflix works pretty perfectly 99% of the time (briefly judders when I plug in power for some reason). Google play movies is unwatchable. I also can't find a setting in dev options to help. 

Any thoughts Sony on a solution? 

Apprentice
Message 13 of 16
Message 13 of 16

Hi all - I've been chasing this issue with Sony Support since Decemeber and after numerous emails back and forth, still no further forward.  Essatially the hardware is incompatible with the vidoe player that was downloaded with system update - the issue is with Sony, not Google.

It would appear our devices have been 'broken' by the system update, as what was an original inherent feature of the device, has been disrupted by the update.  Sadly Sony don't seem to bothered by this.

I suggest you all email details to operatorsupport.uk@support.sonymobile.com and specifically mark for the attention of Ash Banks, who is a complaint manager.  He is aware of the siatuation.

If anyone has luck in sorting this out, please post on the forum.

Dave

Rookie
Message 14 of 16
Message 14 of 16

Thanks for that info, that's really useful. I've sent a message to that address marked FAO Ash Banks and asked if Sony could provide an update here. I'm really hoping something happens to fix this, I'm generally pretty happy with my phone but this is definitely a frustrating issue.

Highlighted
Enthusiast
Message 15 of 16
Message 15 of 16

My case has just been escalated to complaints department. But I've just read that an old 'C' series Xperia from 2015 has been given a new software update so maybe there's hope yet? 

One time poster
Message 16 of 16
Message 16 of 16

I have the same exact issue you described with the GP movies App on two portable devices. A Samsung Galaxy Tab S3 and a Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge. Works fine on Roku devices either streaming or downloaded or my wife's Ipad. I agree with you, it has to be app or an upgrade that is the issue.