account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Troubleshoot, find support articles, run tests with the support app directly on your phone.
Read more and discuss the app here.

Fingerprint scanner issues

Apprentice
Message 1 of 109
Message 1 of 109

Fingerprint scanner issues

in the last few days my fingerprint scanner has started to be quite picky. I've set it up with 5 different prints so I can unlock with either hand but recently it's not recognising any of my fingerprints. Today it;s working maybe one in every thirty attempts. I've removed fingerprints from the memory, when trying to re-add them it tells me to wipe the sensor/finger but both are clean.

Seems like another issue dragging down what should be a brilliant phone. Has anyone else had issues like this?

108 REPLIES 108
Emperor
Message 2 of 109
Message 2 of 109

Re: Fingerprint scanner issues

@albabarn

Do you experience the same while on safe mode?

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

One time poster
Message 3 of 109
Message 3 of 109

I'm having similar issues and my phone is only 3 weeks old.

At first it didn't work very well, so I went back into fingerprint settings to rescan.

From here came up a warning message saying "Something went wrong" the sensor needed wiping, or I was pressing the button too hard, or I was pressing the button too softly. 

I therefore wiped the sensor button (which was clean anyway) and proceeded to take the steps to rescan again.  The same thing occurred.

After numerous identical attempts, I decided to remove the fingrprint option and use pattern instead.

I livechatted Sony and was advised to log in using a laptop and do a software repair which I have done.  Now it gets as far as the demo screen showing you where to place your thumb.  I press the "Got It" button to proceed and it just goes back to the settings menu???

Any ideas Sony? Shall I send my handset back in?   

Adviser
Message 4 of 109
Message 4 of 109

Try doing another software repair, and once it's completed restart your phone after it boots up, then try. That's how my Z2 was fixed when it had issues. Let us know.
Apprentice
Message 5 of 109
Message 5 of 109

The phone seems to have sorted itself. Keen to get the latest software update to see if there is any improvement but it looks like the phone might need repaired/replaced due to potential issues with the proximity sensor.

Demigod
Message 6 of 109
Message 6 of 109

If the xperia z5 power button is built from the same material as the rest z's phones then it wont last for long. The power button easly scratches on my z3+ and z3. Scratches may affect the fingerprint scanner performance unfortunately :/

Apprentice
Message 7 of 109
Message 7 of 109

same issue here, the fingerprint scanner has mind of its own

One time poster
Message 8 of 109
Message 8 of 109

I have the Z5 compact and experience the same issue. After the latest software update, which was supposed to improve the fingerprint scanner performance, nothing changed. I am starting to believe this is hardware issue, as after shaking the phone the issue seems to temporarily disappear.

One time poster
Message 9 of 109
Message 9 of 109

I have the z5 one month now i dont know if the fingerprint senzor broke down after the update or not..it hasnt had any scratches on it!!after one restart it works fine again for a wail after that brakes again and fails...and in settings diagnostics fingerprint test always fails why is that????please fix this sony
Rookie
Message 10 of 109
Message 10 of 109

Means I won't be getting this until they fix it