account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Want to know more about Xperia 5? To read more about it go here.
If you can't find the answer to your question there please post it here and let the community help you.

Fingerprint scanner issues

One time poster
Message 11 of 109
Message 11 of 109

Re: Fingerprint scanner issues

Yea I'm having same issue too.

At first I thought is my fingerprint pattern issue, I reset the pattern few times thinking to improve it accuracy.

However I able unlock my phone with 3 out of 10 attempts, most of the time will lead to fingerprint locked.

I think most of us wish to know it is wheter hardware or software failure causing this issue, and of course get response from Sony as soon as possible.

Adviser
Message 12 of 109
Message 12 of 109

fingerprint sensor is very terrible on z5... It doesnt recognize many times and after 5th trial it is locking itself ending you up with pin lock, silly.... I can already unlock via pin, why sony put this stupid sensor which can rarely recognize the prints? you must definitely put your finger in a specifc angle otherwise that idiot sensor doesnt get it at all... I hardly remember the moments that I succeeded unlocking via print sensor.. It is totally useless, rubbish... a sensor would not be worse... when you attempt saving a new print, it says thats ok perfect great wonferful etc etc, when it comes to unclocking, fingerprint locked, try pin... GET OUT!!! .. very angry with this stupid hardware... this phone can be considered with no fingerprint sensor on it... If this feature has any contribution on sale price, it should definitely be removed immediately..  non-existing hardware....

Learner
Message 13 of 109
Message 13 of 109

Well my Z5 Dual Sim accepts my fingerprint but then allows every finger on all my hands to open my phone - including a plastic coaster which I tried just for the heck of it.

I repeat - every finger works and in fact it can be anything you want to use to open the phone - yes I have deleted my finger prints a number of times and checked all the settings with Sony Customer Service and nothing is incorrectly set. At first I thought it was working but all you have to do to open the phone is quickly double click with any finger pressed against the button or hold down the button and the phone will open.

Very impressed (not) with the security of my phone and how finger print technology works. I'll stick to using a PIN

One time poster
Message 14 of 109
Message 14 of 109

same issue here...

fingerprint sensor works sometimes but generally fails.

It is no use to have an "unreliable" fingerprint sensor.

Hope Sony will react and fix this issue quickly.

Highlighted
Scavenger Hunt Winner
Message 15 of 109
Message 15 of 109

FingerPrint.pngScanner.png

Explanation for those pics can be found:

http://talk.sonymobile.com/t5/Xperia-Z5-Z5-Compact-Z5-Premium/Z5-premium-fingerprint-scanner-issues/...

and here:

http://talk.sonymobile.com/t5/Xperia-Z5-Z5-Compact-Z5-Premium/Z5-Dual-Fingerprint-Scanner-Problems/m...

After  trying that, and cleaning the sensor, and not having your scan finger completely dry.... and scanning your finger really slowly... .... only registering 1 finger, 5 different times, swiping at all different angles... if it's still saying there's an error... then it's probably busted.

but don't forget the pause... when you tap the power button to initiate the scan, when you completely cover the button, pause, then lift... i feel like making a video to show an example of how much you can actually smash the scanner with your finger, or just prod at it... one of my finger registers has half of the samples with me pressing super hard and some super fast... but if you've tried all that, and it's still having problems... then it's probaly busted....

oh, almost forgot... i've noticed that with some scans, i've managed to finish all the samples when the circle was only about two thirds of the way around.. it just completed the rest of the register automatically... if you notice that happen. then you've probably got a good reference stored in the register. i only think this because everytime i've had it happen to me, the scanning to unlock is almost faultless, and i can be lazy with how i scan my finger to unlock... or poke and prod really fast. the other scanned fingers, i'd still need to swipe with purpose, and try to place my finger in the same spot each time.

PS Devs: I've tried the scanner on other body parts and it can recognize it.

**EDIT - if you first read this, and the method i posted seems a bit odd and counterintuitive, because if you scanned the way where i've put the dont scan like this sign, you'll actually get more of your finger print (theoretically) ... it's doesn't. when you scan  across the length and not up or down the length of the device, there's a shorter distance between the surfaces that is touching your finger, and the closer they are together, the more likely it is to cause problems when you press harder because of the way your skin will bend around the sensor, if both points of contact are bending , and the distance is shorter, then the bit thats left might still be bending too much while it's going across the sensor, and it's also easier for your finger to wrap around the edge of the device (exactly how it looks in the picture - eitherway, moving your finger towards you, or towards the backface), and not make complete contact with the fingerprint scanner. it's also easier to control where you stop when you slide your finger up the side, rather than across it. you can usually feel when youre about to make complete contact with the sensor, because the tip of your finger will touch it, and then it's a fairly good measuring point to have the centre of your fingerprint swirls directly over the power icon, so you know, you're close to the same sample that is stored in the register.

//----------------- C:\》$ Path- Thyme: .trawler //-----------------Auto-Correct Disclaimer: Not sorry. //----------------- Batteries not included.
Adviser
Message 16 of 109
Message 16 of 109

Man it shouldnt be that difficult just to scan finger on a phone... If you will try to do all things here, leave it alone dont use go with pin lock, this is torture..
Z5D
Adviser
Message 17 of 109
Message 17 of 109

Hi there,

I made a little video regarding the fingerprintsensor/scanner and put in on Youtube.

It's a quite funny video (IMO).

please check (if you want to ofcourse).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sM9YjTmuzDU

Hey there, so I tried something funny today. I sanned 3 fingers on 1 fingerprint ID for the Sony Z5P. It worked. Essentially, you can registrate all 10 fingers on your phone. I don't know if this also works with other phones. Later. D.
Scavenger Hunt Winner
Message 18 of 109
Message 18 of 109

haha. Nice.
Have you scanned the back of your knuckle or lips?
//----------------- C:\》$ Path- Thyme: .trawler //-----------------Auto-Correct Disclaimer: Not sorry. //----------------- Batteries not included.
One time poster
Message 19 of 109
Message 19 of 109

Same problem with Sony experia z5 premium it worked great only 1st week and now it doesnt work at all. Pretty disappointed with the phone actually it lags a lot. Never had a problem with my z3. I hope next software update is going to fix it. Come on Sony do something about this
One time poster
Message 20 of 109
Message 20 of 109

I have the same problem. Scaner just stoped to recognize my thumb (and other fingers).

I added the same finger three times, it didn't helped.