account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Troubleshoot, find support articles, run tests directly on your phone with the support application.
Read more and discuss the app here.

Fast charging

Learner
Message 1 of 10
Message 1 of 10

Fast charging

My device is z5 dual e6633 and I bought few days ago

Fast charging function is not working

9 REPLIES 9
Enthusiast
Message 2 of 10
Message 2 of 10

Re: Fast charging

Hi,

Please see my posts on this thread here. I tested this extensively over 6 weeks after I purchased the Z5 Dual and a UCH10 Quick charger and found it wasn't charging any faster than the stock charger.

I proved that it does work by installing the single sim firmware to the phone but this wasn't a viable solution as the sim card was no longer detected. 

Sony have falsely advertised the Z5 Dual as Quick Charge is not enabled in the firmware of this model even though the hardware has the capability. 

I tried to report it to Xperia Support but they just don't seem to care as even though I ended up speaking to the escalations team, they have yet to get back to me.

Highlighted
Commissioner
Message 3 of 10
Message 3 of 10

Latest firmware xxxxxx.154 (7.1) with sept security patch broke this function with stock charger as well as with others too.
Scavenger Hunt Winner
Message 4 of 10
Message 4 of 10

@pravi wrote:
Latest firmware xxxxxx.154 (7.1) with sept security patch broke this function with stock charger as well as with others too.

Are there any differences if the device is charged while power is off?

//----------------- C:\》$ Path- Thyme: .trawler //-----------------Auto-Correct Disclaimer: Not sorry. //----------------- Batteries not included.
Enthusiast
Message 5 of 10
Message 5 of 10

Update may have broken this function on single sim Z5's but I tested the Z5 dual all the way back to Android 5.1.1 and it has never been enabled on this device.

Scavenger Hunt Winner
Message 6 of 10
Message 6 of 10

My compact is fine,  but I'm using the AOSP boot because I have a custom recovery. 

So I've made sure that all the Qualcom stuff is not missing

//----------------- C:\》$ Path- Thyme: .trawler //-----------------Auto-Correct Disclaimer: Not sorry. //----------------- Batteries not included.
Enthusiast
Message 7 of 10
Message 7 of 10

I eventually found that just flashing the kernel.sin file using Flashtool from the single sim firmware enabled the Quick Charge on the dual (keeping all the other firmware files from the dual firmware) but then the SD card could not be detected. I presume the single sim kernel.sin is looking for the SD card in a specific place and maybe it is different on the dual?

I have no idea how to do it but I presume if you could extract the kernel.sin contents, could you modify the section where the Quick Charge or max usb current is set? 

I'm a web developer but not too familiar with Android development. From all the testing flashing one file at a time, I think the system.sin handles sim card detection (as this broke when i flashed the full single sim firmware to the dual) but kernel.sin seems to handle the Quick Charge and SD card detection. 

Scavenger Hunt Winner
Message 8 of 10
Message 8 of 10

@0ctane82 wrote:

I eventually found that just flashing the kernel.sin file using Flashtool from the single sim firmware enabled the Quick Charge on the dual (keeping all the other firmware files from the dual firmware) but then the SD card could not be detected. I presume the single sim kernel.sin is looking for the SD card in a specific place and maybe it is different on the dual?

I have no idea how to do it but I presume if you could extract the kernel.sin contents, could you modify the section where the Quick Charge or max usb current is set? 

I'm a web developer but not too familiar with Android development. From all the testing flashing one file at a time, I think the system.sin handles sim card detection (as this broke when i flashed the full single sim firmware to the dual) but kernel.sin seems to handle the Quick Charge and SD card detection. 

you just need to rebuild the AOSP Device tree healthd module and the other qualcom bits to do with battery and charging... basically the boot image... which is the kernel.sin

this also has all of the USB detect and charge mode, and has the potential to disable charging completely if not done correctly

sometimes the sd card is mounted differentlyfor each build, or other parts of the firmware require different mount points

Commissioner
Message 9 of 10
Message 9 of 10

Im on stock and  not rooted !I always charge the device in offline mode > Shut it down then charge ! It takes nearly 120 mins from 15-90% with the lastest xxxxx.154 build which was 65-70 mins in previous builds !! Hope this could get a fix for that along  with latest security patch !

Scavenger Hunt Winner
Message 10 of 10
Message 10 of 10

@pravi wrote:

Im on stock and  not rooted !I always charge the device in offline mode > Shut it down then charge ! It takes nearly 120 mins from 15-90% with the lastest xxxxx.154 build which was 65-70 mins in previous builds !! Hope this could get a fix for that along  with latest security patch !

I suspect that it could be changes to SELPolicy that don't get applied properly during an update, or other policy bits and pieces causing problems further down the line.

I was messing around and getting my device to overheat amongst other things..

Screenshot_20171122-054258.pngScreenshot_20171122-054738.pngScreenshot_20171122-064610.pngScreenshot_20171122-060317.pngScreenshot_20171122-055516.pngScreenshot_20171122-054253.png