account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Curious about what is happening at IFA?
Read more and discuss the press conference here.

Do not use under water

SOLVED
Regular
Message 51 of 130
Message 51 of 130

Re: Do not use under water

On YouTube some videos popped up of a German guy filming with z5 under water and keeping z5 compact in a container with coca cola. Stupid, of course, but it still works after coming out of the coke. Probably not for long.
Emperor
Message 52 of 130
Message 52 of 130

@Ian1234

Before assuming you should read the forum guidelines 

http://talk.sonymobile.com/t5/Welcome/Discussion-guidelines/m-p/349678#U349678

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

Rookie
Message 53 of 130
Message 53 of 130

Waterresistant or not? Z3 compact and Z5 compact

Hello,

its confusing that Sony tells that these phones has ( IP65/68) classification. Apparently its IP65, if you read how you can use the phone. If somebody byes and uses it like you use IP68 phone, you dont have any warranty whatsoever.. Now there is theoretical value and practical value and the difference is huge.

Is this same fenomeon thatn with VW-cars?.. in lab you can have different values than in practise.. Thats not good.

I tried that with my Z3C (rip). its fell small distance to sink and the covers opened, it got water inside.. Not included in  Warranty. had problems with the covers all the time (4 months).

Is the cover now better in Z5C, even it has still the IP 65 -classification? -in real life..

regards,  ricce

Master
Message 54 of 130
Message 54 of 130

Re: Waterresistant or not? Z3 compact and Z5 compact

Well, the design is a bit different for the Xperia Z5 Compact. For example the USB port doesn't have a flap like the Xperia Z3 Compact. Please visit a retailer to compare the two phones. Regarding the IP classification you can read more about it here: http://www.sonymobile.com/global-en/xperia/technologies/waterproof/

sony_sign_logo.png - Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums make sure that you have read our Discussion guidelines.
If you want to get in touch with the local support team for your country please visit our contact page.

Message 55 of 130
Message 55 of 130

I did some research and my conclusion is, Sony doesn't really want you to use it under water because IP68 is just designed for some accidental situation but not for use it underwater. Also many people's Xperia phones got water damaged because their covers weren't closed tightly before went into water. But still, IP68 is certification so it won't lie. My suggestion is check covers before you use it underwater and do it at your own risk. Xperia devices prevent water from come inside but not prevent water damage like short circuit.

Message 56 of 130
Message 56 of 130

Oh by the way, the pools always have lots of chemical stuff. The sea is always salty so.... you know what I mean. Those stuffs kills every electronic......

Apprentice
Message 57 of 130
Message 57 of 130

@Zacabeb wrote:

advertising the phone as IP68 certified and disclaiming it in the fine print may be illegal in many countries.

Let's put it to the test, shall we?

It is not legal in the UK. If you advertise a red apple and deliver a black grape then small print cannot protect you from the LAW.

Rookie
Message 58 of 130
Message 58 of 130

Thanks, that helped a bit. I think that Z5 has better sim/memory card cover, than Z3.

I red the waterproof link. There is still a problem:

if you say Z5 is IP68 it means that Sonys claims that device can be in continuous immersion under water.

if Sonys warranty doesnt cover immersion, the classification can be MAX IP66. There is not any other options.

You CANNOT state that classification is IP68 but warranty is not valid if you put device under water.

Other wise you are doing misleading marketing and Sony doesnt do that does it?

regards Klaus

a former owner of drown Z3

(1 inch deep water).

One time poster
Message 59 of 130
Message 59 of 130

This case is bad for Sony. The bottom line is that Xperia fans are fooled. I planned to replace my Z1C with Z5C, but I'm now seriously reconsidering!

Btw, my Z1C did get some water damage (no salt water) and the local official repair shop didn't even consider any warranty option (my opinion is that the USB cover has a design failure - continuous opening-closing damages the seal etc). The phone still works, but has some flaws.

As a result I have lost my belief in Sony, after many-many years of good experience.

Learner
Message 60 of 130
Message 60 of 130

I just put my Xperia z5 underwater, everything is good but the touchscreen still not work underwater.....but didn't Sony say the z5 can used the touchscreen underwater? did someone here tried before?