account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Want to know more about Xperia 5? To read more about it go here.
If you can't find the answer to your question there please post it here and let the community help you.

Do not use under water

SOLVED
ezy
Commissioner
Message 21 of 130
Message 21 of 130

Re: Do not use under water

i also have used my z1 in a swiming pool and in a spa... 

but this isnt the z1, it is the lighter thinner z5 with a different frame / glass build

i cant see how sony can have the marketing pictures they have then say "it could be ip65 or it could be ip68"  if it is ip68 by default it has to be better than ip65 as it is more of the things that ip65 is measured to...   so putting both ip65 and ip68 in the disclaimer is ridiculous.  

mine is ordered and i am not cancelling but if it is ip65 it is not ip68... if it is ip68 it doesnt need ip65 or any other lower rating mentioned...  it just needs ip68 explained as "gentle environment - don't knock phone, dont use it in aggressive water"    which dont forget ip65 actually says can take an occassional soft blast from a jet wash 

PJM
Regular
Message 22 of 130
Message 22 of 130

This still bothers me you can't say that a device is ip65/68 rated and then say it can't be submerged. Ip65 means that it is protected against low-pressure water jet spray for at least 3 minutes. And 68 that it is protected against the effects of continued immersion in water at depths greater than 1 metre! So it's supposed to stand both those things. That's a little more than being caught out in the rain. 

Demigod
Message 23 of 130
Message 23 of 130

Hi All,

No offence, but bare this in mind. That IP rating feature is to protect against unseen circumstences such as if you're stuck in a rain or accidentally drop it to a pool or water or what not.

Submerging to take picture, is not that it couldn't but is not advisable. As per Johans's post, many situation and condition is not able to assess.

Talent
Message 24 of 130
Message 24 of 130

Yes, but Sony marketing material shows their devices being used under water therefore customers could assume that Sony are telling them they can also do that but the small print says not to. Conflicting information. 

Inhabitant
Message 25 of 130
Message 25 of 130

IMO I assume that all these claims where waterproof became faulty could be due to a) flaps closed improperly and/or b) fau;ty flaps/damaged rubber seal etc. Once one of my friend's phone got water damage but he accepted that it was his fault that he hadn't closed the usb flap properly and water has gotten to the inside through that. Even if I buy the new Z5, the first thing I will be doing is submerging it underwater and trying to take some pics. Will post results when I do. If Sony is advising not to do it in small print, that could because they are'nt confident enough in their innovation or they're just trying to be on the safe side. However bear in mind that I'm not recommending to submerge phones, but I had the experience several times and nothing bat happened,

Cheers Slightly smiling Face

Message 26 of 130
Message 26 of 130

@Ian1234 wrote:

Yes, but Sony marketing material shows their devices being used under water therefore customers could assume that Sony are telling them they can also do that but the small print says not to. Conflicting information. 

Tbh I think it's a good thing Sony are showing that in the media because legally you should be able to use that to guarantee a repair under warranty because it is not functioning as advertised, Sony have made this mistake before misadvertising the functionality of the PS Vita, here, http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-04-06-sony-rewards-after-class-action-vita-lawsuit-are-now-av...

Sony Need to tread very carefully. 

Message 27 of 130
Message 27 of 130

Sony changes stance on waterproof phones

Heads up guys!

"Sony changes stance on waterproof phones: Do not use underwater. Sony Mobile has made a hugely controversial change to its advice around Xperia waterproof devices. Despite most recent Sony Xperia waterproof devices achieving an Ingress Protection rating of IP68 for water resistance, the highest possible, Sony now says that they should not be used underwater."

Source: xperiablog.net

Emperor
Message 28 of 130
Message 28 of 130

Re: Sony changes stance on waterproof phones

@Francis_RN

There's an ongoing thread

http://talk.sonymobile.com/t5/Xperia-Z5-Z5-Compact-Z5-Premium/Do-not-use-under-water/m-p/1034198/hig...

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

Message 29 of 130
Message 29 of 130

I see. I'm so sorry. Thank you!
Emperor
Message 30 of 130
Message 30 of 130

@Francis_RN

anytime

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)