account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

If you want to get the max out of your Xperia phone then check out Xperia tips page.

Do not use under water

SOLVED
Talent
Message 11 of 130
Message 11 of 130

Re: Do not use under water

Thats as clear as mud.

Marketing images show pictures being taken while swimming but now that is not recommended. Is this the same for all previous Xperia devices that claim to be waterproof?

Come on Sony be honest. Update all media and guidance to be consistent. Stop saying the devices are waterproof.  They are more like water resistant.

Message 12 of 130
Message 12 of 130

Water resistant means some water can enter the device and it will still work. Also it should be able to withstand greater depths as far as I know. That is not the case.

Moderators are not affiliated with, or work for Sony Mobile, and their posts represent their own opinions and views. Click here to find out more about the different roles on the community.

Talent
Message 13 of 130
Message 13 of 130

Alexton

So how do you classify the z5? It is stated as being water proof but not recommended to submerge in water. To me that is contradictory. Not to you?

Message 14 of 130
Message 14 of 130

From my point of view, waterproof was the correct term for xperias although newer ones had no 3.5 mm input cover and latest don't have USB covers either (this takes us to water resistant as some water enters). Waterproof does mean something that doesn't let water to get in and the materials are waterproof too and the techniques to build such a thing are special. 

But normal people used the devices in untested environments as Johan has said. I think the best purpose for these devices is accidentall spill/drop of/in water or being caught by rain. The certification allows the device to do more,but that is under controlled tests.

Moderators are not affiliated with, or work for Sony Mobile, and their posts represent their own opinions and views. Click here to find out more about the different roles on the community.

Talent
Message 15 of 130
Message 15 of 130

It would be nice if Sony took the same view and marketed the devices as such and not show users swimming with them as that gives the impression that I could also do that (but some Sony text says differently).

Message 16 of 130
Message 16 of 130

But you imagine people did swim and had no problems. The devices are certified and are able to do that. On the forum and internet you have only a small part of xperia buyers. The majority of users are pleased. You don't come to a support forum unless you perhaps have a problem and sometimes to say thank you.

After all, I see this new way of advertising waterproofness as a good thing, a positive change which may result in fewer cases damage done by users to their own devices.

Talent
Message 17 of 130
Message 17 of 130

This has nothing to do with the contradicting advice from Sony. Please stop defending the undefendable.

Enthusiast
Message 18 of 130
Message 18 of 130

They started doing this with the Z3+/Z4.

It's called false marketing. They should drop the IP rating to IP65 only and stop marketing it as IP68 tested. In fact, advertising the phone as IP68 certified and disclaiming it in the fine print may be illegal in many countries.

Let's put it to the test, shall we?
Enthusiast
Message 19 of 130
Message 19 of 130

By the way, Sony had ALPS design a waterproof headphone jack and USB port for them. The only problem with them would be short circuiting and corrosion, but not taking in water. The water should get into the sockets but not through them into the phone.

Same with the speakers. Their membranes get wet, but water shouldn't go through or past.

This is just damage control. They should fess up, and retain responsibility for all previous products marketed as waterproof. They can't back off from claims made for products already sold. That is also illegal in any country with respectable consumer rights.

But... showing someone violently dunk an Xperia Z3 in sea water to take a photo of a fish in a commercial probably had nothing to do with people thinking they could go for a swim with it.
Inhabitant
Message 20 of 130
Message 20 of 130

I use a Xperia Z1 and I have used it to take photos underwater. So far i have taken more than 100 pics using the shutter key (I used the default camera, not some third party app) submerging the phone in a swimming pool for about 1 meter deep. So far the phone is functioning properly. I had my flaps checkd before putting it underwater. I'm not implementing or recommending anything. Just sharing my personal experience. And if the Xperia Z5 cannot do what my Xperia Z1 could do, I might as well just go to a different phone.

Cheers Slightly smiling Face