account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Troubleshoot, find support articles, run tests with the support app directly on your phone.
Read more and discuss the app here.

Do not use under water

SOLVED
PJM
Regular
Message 41 of 130
Message 41 of 130

Re: Do not use under water

I wonder what Sony thinks about this, someone put it underwater at the IFA presentation already.

Z5 in fountain

Adviser
Message 42 of 130
Message 42 of 130

Waterproof phone?

Highlighted
Emperor
Message 43 of 130
Message 43 of 130

Re: Waterproof phone?

@Peter50

Check all the posts on this thread

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

Sony Xperia Support
Message 44 of 130
Message 44 of 130

@PJM wrote:

I wonder what Sony thinks about this, someone put it underwater at the IFA presentation already.

Z5 in fountain

Sony Mobile is committed to providing the highest standards of product quality and customer service. Xperia models that feature levels of dust and water-resistance are validated independently and based on Ingress Protection (IP) standards agreed and used across the industry. We have every confidence in the qualities of Xperia devices, which are built to exacting technical standards and are designed to perform to high standards in normal usage. 

The recent changes to guidance we provide to our customers are designed to more clearly illustrate the best ways to protect devices in day-to-day usage. We communicate necessary precautions, and the specific parameters of ingress protection ratings, to help customers to protect their smartphones and tablets in line with the applicable warranty we provide. 

We have also recently updated our marketing visuals to better advocate sensible usage of our devices. The warranty terms provided for our products remain the same and any customer concerns will continue to be considered on a case by case basis in line with these terms.

Apprentice
Message 45 of 130
Message 45 of 130

Lawyer's speech. A lot of words without saying anything. Slightly smiling Face

My stance: The devices are as waterproof as before, but they just don't want to say it anymore because some lawyers told them so...

Enthusiast
Message 46 of 130
Message 46 of 130

So, just to make sure I'm getting this straight, Sony Mobile now advices us to disregard their previous advice?

Nice spin doctor boilerplate copy though.

Demigod
Message 47 of 130
Message 47 of 130

I've checked the Sony Xperia Z5c/Z5/Z5premium page's and there is no advertise of the device in water submerged . It does say , the device shouldn't be completly submerged , and so i recommend owners to not take it for a swim , even if the IP certifiction allows you to. The new Sony advertise that the device shouldnt be submerged means that if your device dies becuase it was submerged , it wont be repaired for free even if it was a device defect because they would clearly say  "The device shoulnt be submerged" as they wrote in the warrenty/website

They probably wrote that because of the amount of water damaged phones which were made because of the device fault , not the user. If they continued replacing water damaged phones , they would end up going bankrupt. 

Currently the IPX8 is on a accidentall splash of water (spilled drink) , a walk in a rain or a drop in a bath , not for taking underwater pictures.

Using your device in a pool is on your own risk because the IPX8 allows you to but sony doesn't

This all basically doesn't make sense ...

How can the device be waterproof for 30 minutes in 1,5m of depth if it cant be sumberged? 

Sony's trying to mislead the users. 

Apprentice
Message 48 of 130
Message 48 of 130

That's odd, it seems my last post has been deleted now too.

Anyways, I've just been into Carphone Warehouse and the Manager there was unaware of the updated warranty information. He rang the Sony rep and the Sony Ambassador for our area, the result is that Sony will repair/replace a water damaged Z series phone as long as its NOT SALT water.

He also added that as they (CPW) would be dealing with the repair, as they would expect to keep the customer happy, he assured me that it would be dealt with to the customers direction.

Fingers crossed they keep to this in the unlikely event of a water damage claim.

Let's hope this post doesn't disappear lol.
Talent
Message 49 of 130
Message 49 of 130

Yes, there does seem to be some cenceship of posts going on. Shame this forum is not impartial.
EHo
Enthusiast
Message 50 of 130
Message 50 of 130

Does it have to do with the new capless usb port since z3+? M4 aqua, m5, z5....