account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

If you want to get the max out of your Xperia phone then check out Xperia tips page.

Do not use under water

SOLVED
Learner
Message 31 of 130
Message 31 of 130

A suggestion to sony in regard to the future of xperia z devices ip rating

(Could anyone send my post directly to sony employees or bring their attention to read my post? Thanks in advance!).

In the long run xperia z devices will do better with less ip rating (something like ipx3) no matter where you live because of a few reasons:
1. Super high quality front stereo speakers and better sound recording are more desirable features.
2. It is just too risky putting such expensive device in water even if it is ipx8 because no one promise that the phone will be 100% protected.
3. If the phone is damaged from water then no warranty will cover for it and it will result in paying a lot of money for repair and in worst case it turns to a brick.
4. When i think about sony one of the things that comes to my mind are top audio quality, not waterproofing. I want "wow" and "one sony" to be resembled in front speakers quality and sound recording.
5. Better heat dissipation.
6. With ipx3 it still has water protection (!) against:
a. Dripping water - Dripping water (vertically falling drops) shall have no harmful effect.
b. Dripping water when tilted up to 15° - Vertically dripping water shall have no harmful effect when the enclosure is tilted at an angle up to 15° from its normal position.
c. Spraying water - Water falling as a spray at any angle up to 60° from the vertical shall have no harmful effect.
IP Code for more info.

Bottom line: There is no viable reason to keep ipx8 because ipx3 still has very usable and suffice water protection (maybe even slightly higher ipxx then 3 won't interfere with sound?) and you get 3 pluses - top speakers quality, better sound recording and better heat dissipation. I can't think of a better solution then this for the overwhelming majority of consumers.

Emperor
Message 32 of 130
Message 32 of 130

Re: A suggestion to sony in regard to the future of xperia z devices ip rating

@AmirProg

http://support.sonymobile.com/global-en/contactUs/

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

Highlighted
Message 33 of 130
Message 33 of 130

Re: Do not use under water

PLEASE DONT DO FALSE ADVERTISEMENT OF YOUR WATER RESISTENT PHONE AS WATER PROOF AS SEEN IN YOUR SWIMINGPOOL ADVERTISMENTS 

Message 34 of 130
Message 34 of 130

@INCEPTION_LEVEL3

Kindly try to disable CAPS lock button when you post in the future. As for your request: Sony already stopped advertising underwater activities starting from Z3+ and Z5, you won't find any advertisement with taking photos or using mobile underwater anymore.

Feel free to kudo this post or mark it as solution so that other users facing the same issue can find it

Disclaimer: Moderators are not affiliated with or work for Sony Mobile, their posts represent their own opinions and views. Click here to find out more about the different roles in the community.

Talent
Message 35 of 130
Message 35 of 130

But there is still contradictory text in their marketing material.....

Message 36 of 130
Message 36 of 130

@Ian1234

How is that?

Feel free to kudo this post or mark it as solution so that other users facing the same issue can find it

Disclaimer: Moderators are not affiliated with or work for Sony Mobile, their posts represent their own opinions and views. Click here to find out more about the different roles in the community.

Talent
Message 37 of 130
Message 37 of 130

Check out this link

http://support.sonymobile.com/gb/dm/water-and-dust-resistance/

Linked from Z5 page and talks about swimming.

As I have said before to others, stop trying to defend Sony. They still want people to think their devices can be used while under water while small print says otherwise.

Message 38 of 130
Message 38 of 130

It's not about defending Sony, it's defending logic wherever it exists. You are right indeed that this page you linked has some legacy information and advertising material from phones older than Z3+, and it's totally obvious from the pictures that it's not Z5. On the same page in Arabic this part of taking pictures has been removed. So it might be an un-updated page, as it's clearly stated now that taking pictures and vigorous activities underwater is not tested and thus not under warranty in Z5.

I owned a Z, Z1, Z2, and Z3 and used them all underwater and took pictures with them with no problem at all. The only problem I had when I washed my Z with soapy water and got the power button damaged (then I learnt that soap will allow water through seals). If you want I can post one of my underwater pictures as a proof. As Alexdon said on a previous post, the majority didn't face water damage problems, while some did, may be due to manufacturing defects or may be due user misuse.

To sum up, I agree that you should not use your Z5 phone underwater unless totally necessary and while bearing responsibility of any misuse you could do. Now that Sony stated that clearly.

Talent
Message 39 of 130
Message 39 of 130

Well we will never agree on this.

The Xperia devices are heavily marketed as being part of your 'active' lifestyle but in reality, and as Sony are now starting to allude to, they can't really take active use. I own Xperia devices and have never believed the hype myself. I treat them like any other expensive electronic equipment I own. Keep dry and treat gently. However, others do seem to belive the hype and end up with broken devices. Sony need to get their act together and respect their customers. Update ALL guidance to reflect their new way of thinking about the waterproof nature of their devices.

Enthusiast
Message 40 of 130
Message 40 of 130

Indeed the problem is that since Sony marketed previous models in the Z series as being capable of underwater use, people will assume it is true for the newer Z models as well unless it's made clear. It cannot be hidden away in the fine print.

Marketing the Z series with people swimming and dunking it in the sea was a terrible idea to begin with. That's inviting people to be careless. Then, all of a sudden, they pretend like it's raining (no pun intended).

Their ego is writing checks their body can't cash.