account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up cart mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Decode SonyBnR (Backup & Restore) files?

Adept
Message 1 of 14
Message 1 of 14

Decode SonyBnR (Backup & Restore) files?

Sony's Backup & Restore tool allows to back up application data, call logs, contacts, text conversations and other settings to an SD memory card or Google Drive. The different backup categories are stored in files coming in pairs such as SETTINGS and SETTINGS_meta, or CALL_LOG and CALL_LOG_meta.

I have used Backup & Restore to successfully transfer over my settings and data across a factory reset. However, I'm looking for a way to open and inspect the backup files without having to do an actual restore on the phone (which overwrites the current settings). For example, I have another set of Backup & Restore data from a previous Xperia phone, and I'd like to check the text messages that are stored in that backup set, without having to overwrite (or add them to) the messages I have on my current phone.

The _meta files are uncompressed XML files containing some information about the backup set, such as the time at which it was created, and a checksum. It also contains a tag "<isCompressed>1</isCompressed>". This is an example, my CONVERSATIONS_meta file:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><root><deviceId>##TRUNCATED##</deviceId><clientVersion>2360324</clientVersion><checksum>4267047373</checksum><signature>##TRUNCATED##
</signature><modificationTime>1476100656386</modificationTime><initializationVector>UL5xoPlnxlqembfFIc6wvA==
</initializationVector><isCompressed>1</isCompressed><json_data/></root>

The CONVERSATIONS file itself, though, seems to be a compressed binary format. The first line is plain text and legible:

XT XML VERSION=00000001

but the rest is not readily decipherable, and I couldn't figure out how to do it. It's not a regular ZIP or GZIP file, at least not with standard headers (in contrast to the backup files created by PC Companion). Apparently, there is also no standardised binary XML format, everybody seems to be developing their own.

Has anyone had any success in opening and reading these files, or would know how to approach decoding them? Are they simply compressed, or also encrypted in some way?

13 REPLIES
Learner
Message 2 of 14
Message 2 of 14

Re: Decode SonyBnR (Backup & Restore) files?

Hi, did you ever get anywhere with this? My sony went away for repair and never came back and I ended up with a Samsung phone. I'm now tearing my hair out trying to find how I can restore the relevant backup stuff.

Adept
Message 3 of 14
Message 3 of 14

Nothing yet, unfortunately.

I might take another look at it myself on occasion. Considering almost everything else is stored in standard formats, I somehow doubt that this would be somehow encrypted or in a strange proprietary format. Having both the backup and the actual files still on the phone might help with the figuring out how the files are built.

Learner
Message 4 of 14
Message 4 of 14

Restore backup from sdcard

Hi Guys,

I used to own a Z5 Compact till yesterday when I traded it in. In my stupiditity I didnt use to native transfer app to transfer from the Xperia to the new HTC. But i did do a backup for the Z5 on my sdcard for my contacts, sms, call logs etc.

Now I would like to know how can I extract from these backups? To clarify it's not the .dbk file. The files I have are like "CONTACTS" and "CONTACTS_meta".

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Omer

Emperor
Message 5 of 14
Message 5 of 14

Re: Restore backup from sdcard

@OxoneGTR

Is the backup encrypted ?

http://talk.sonymobile.com/t5/Xperia-Z5-Z5-Compact-Z5-Premium/Decode-SonyBnR-Backup-amp-Restore-file...

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

Visitor
Message 6 of 14
Message 6 of 14

Hi guyz, I really don't know what to do now. I need to restore the apps that I was able to back up but the thing is it ask for a password that consists of 4-8 characters. And I can't remember that I created one. Please need help badly. Thank you
Learner
Message 7 of 14
Message 7 of 14

Re: Restore backup from sdcard

Hiya,

Yes the problem mentioned in that thread is exactly what I am facing.

Cheers.
Message 8 of 14
Message 8 of 14

If it ask your password it's kind of impossible to decrypt, if you don't know the password. You at least have know the password. 

You should hope, that's not an AES Encyrpting method used.

Please use Uniextractor to find the right way to extract your Backup files.

Visitor
Message 9 of 14
Message 9 of 14

Hi,

I have the same problem.. does Uniextractor resolved the problem ?

Thks

Roman

One time poster
Message 10 of 14
Message 10 of 14

Hi
I've go the same problem. I did a backup, reflashed the firmware in phone, and now I cannot restore. Phone sees backup, asks what to restore, and when I press the restore button nothing is happening. Uniextractor can't figure out the format. Is there any chance to get my contacts back?