account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Troubleshoot, find support articles, run tests with the support app directly on your phone.
Read more and discuss the app here.

Cannot play song from SD card

One time poster
Message 1 of 5
Message 1 of 5

Cannot play song from SD card

Hey guys, I recently bought a new Z5 and have found that when trying to play songs from the SD card I encounter an error.

This is the case when I use the simple file manager on a PC to move the songs over, when I use Media Go, and when I upload the songs to the Google Play Music cloud and then download them onto the card again.

All of the music appears to play correctly when on the internal memory, though this isn't really a solution.

I have found what appears to be a loophole, in that when I move the music to the internal from an OTG (it might work from the PC as well), then from the internal to the SD card - everything works fine. this isn't ideal but appears to work for now.

Does anyone have any ideas why this all might be the case? I've reformatted the card a few times, tried turning it off and on again [Insert I.T. Crowd meme], all without success.

The songs show up in the music player, but just don't play.

Scratch that temporary fix: The songs play for between 0.5 - 1 second before skipping to the following song... just enough time for me to get my hopes up...

4 REPLIES 4
Forum Legend
Message 2 of 5
Message 2 of 5

Re: Cannot play song from SD card

make sure your sd card is formatted according to android specification, i think it is fat 32?..

make sure the files are supported by the device, it may be an mp3 file but sometimes it is encoded in diffrent encoder,

try to clear media storage. settings> apps>show system> media storage>clear data

clear music app data settings>apps music>clear data

have you tried inserting other sd card>?

________________________________________________________________________________
The Man! The Myth! The Forum Legend! -Scott Sterling
One time poster
Message 3 of 5
Message 3 of 5

Sooooooo Annoying.
I cannot transfer music directly onto the SD card because then the music doesn't play properly, maybe a few seconds.
If I transfer the music direct onto the phone it works fine, and then if I use the phones "transfer data to SD card" it stops working again. And If I transfer apps or photos to SD card they dissapear.
The SD card works fine in other devices and I have tried a number of SD cards in the Xperia. They are 64 or 32 GB so in the correct size limit. I formatted them.
Is there something i'm missing? It's so frustrating, I'm very dissapointed in Sony.
Please advise,

Sage
Message 4 of 5
Message 4 of 5

Have you tried with File Commander?

One time poster
Message 5 of 5
Message 5 of 5

I find a workaround:

Try to rename your music folder on the SD card using some file explorer, like Total Commander. Rename it for exmaexa from "Music" to "Music2". The music app then detects it as a new folder and starts indexing.

You can then rename it back to "Music", which will do the same thing again and your music should be available now.