account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results forΒ 
Search instead forΒ 
Did you mean:Β 
Tips & Tricks

If you want to get the max out of your Xperia phone then check out Xperia tips page.

CPU Limit on nougat

SOLVED
Enthusiast
Message 51 of 70
Message 51 of 70

Re: Seriously SONY?

I thought I might weigh in on this. And yes I rolled back from nougat to mm and I took screen shot of the cores and clock speed. 

So can someone explain why in mm all the cores seem to be active and at maximum 1.96GHz and phone doesn't overheat compared to nougat. 

The mm screen shot is from firmware version. 253Screenshot_20170613-184500.png

Screenshot_20170531-203748.png

Message 52 of 70
Message 52 of 70

I can't believe people still think Sony turned off all the high power Cores.

I assume these crippled phones all get around 2,000 in Antutu, which is all they would get on lp Cores.

Moderators are not affiliated with, or work for Sony Mobile, and their posts represent their own opinions and views.
Click here to find out more about the different roles on the community.

Commissioner
Message 53 of 70
Message 53 of 70

Can u pls explain the above screenshots? @viridis _  I can't understand y it's soo tough to admit this fact.  Does antutu really matters to certify that a device is performing well. This is absolutely Sony's move to prevent overheating or let's say for better battery management. How does pr team or developers just missed the logic that cutting the wings is inversely proportional to stress generation in the device itself? 

Message 54 of 70
Message 54 of 70

So you honestly think Sony turned off the 4 hp cores?

I don't need to look at the shots, It been explained MANY times in this thread that some apps detect ok, some don't.

Moderators are not affiliated with, or work for Sony Mobile, and their posts represent their own opinions and views.

Highlighted
Learner
Message 55 of 70
Message 55 of 70

But if that 4core working why image processing is so slow?  Why  some graphical games running lagy?!

In android 7 Evenwhen that 4core are offline phone temperature going too high! And batery performance not increased!! 

Sorry for my bad English πŸ™ 

Message 56 of 70
Message 56 of 70

@omidgi wrote:

But if that 4core working why image processing is so slow?  Why  some graphical games running lagy?!

In android 7 Evenwhen that 4core are offline phone temperature going too high! And batery performance not increased!! 

Sorry for my bad English πŸ™ 

Your English is fine, I understood perfectly, 

If the hp cores weren't working, the game wouldn't hardly run at all.

Honestly, the cores are running, it's just some apps are still running off an earlier Android api so won't see the cores.

Commissioner
Message 57 of 70
Message 57 of 70

I didn't said that...but I blv they kept the cores to idle instead of taking the load!!  And one can clearly say and feel that there's something wrong with the performance at minimum to heavy loads which was quite easily managed on MM..if this happens to certain or one group of variants.. We can call it as a device specific issue!!  But if v observe _ almost everyone disregarding the variants is facing overheat and performance drop!! DO u hav an answer for performance drop and horrible battery management even on newer devices with Nougat which was par gud on MM....?This is something to consider by Sony (as they said user experience is their priority) and make the device use its energy in an efficient way instead of breaking it.!! I Wil look into that app which monitored the cpu and Wil update here regarding api levels. Regards!!  

Genius
Message 58 of 70
Message 58 of 70

I think you guys don't know how a SOC get configured and what a GOVERNOR is. You need also to understand that there may be serveral reasons why a governor goes banana and the device will start to overheat or slow down.

Governors are small piece of software into the kernel that decide how the CPU is awaken, what cores need to be active in specific moments and at what frequency.

If after a software upgrade (ie: from MM to N) some folders containing the CPU settings become ro (read only) then the governor has no way to set frequncies and turn on/off cores accordingly and the phone perform bad. For that reason every OEM in the world advice to perform a software reset (or a software repair using Xperia Companion) in order to fix all the issues related to configuration occurred after a major software upgrade.

If there are outdated app installed into the system calling outdated functions of an outdate API, everything may go wrong and the SOC will receive, for example, the wrong information about active cores and frequencies because it's expecting a low power demand while instead the app is an high profile one. OR that a small app will call wrong functions and the SOC will go HP for nothing or maybe allowing the CPU to stay ON all time - hence battery drain/overheating... I mean, there is a reason why many times Xperia's customer services and users of this forum ask "Did you try in safe mode?" - in safe mode no apps will run during startup so you can debug what can be the app that provoke overheating! Do you see the light now?

Saying that Sony did something sneaky with the Android N it's absolutely, incredibly and certainly wrong, it may be that the apps you are using are outdated and perform better on MM or that your device require a software repair.

... In any case, benchmarks are never accurate and they never reflect "real life" performance.

Peace!

Β» If you find that an answer helped, say thanks and give kudos Slightly smiling Face

Wizardry is the key! β€’
Commissioner
Message 59 of 70
Message 59 of 70

Thanks!! That's a great _convincing explanation to an end user but not for an advanced user _those r all very basic terms to hear in his daily routine (I can provide much better article on types and behavior of different governors from my rack though ) An advanced user tests the device in different aspects or tries to findout and  solve the issues before raising it, ppl reportd same issues still exists even after  fresh installations.. I don't know how many times I performed software repairs  (I forgot the count) without any success... As u said App residues can be the culprits with OTA s but the scenario is completely different on fresh installations_ I didn't said that Sony stopped those cores_ somehow I blv tht they kept it idle for better device (heat _battery) management as we see in battery life aimed kernels which isn't soo welcoming gesture from Sony _ u might be having gud tym with ur device.,But not others including me_ gud day!! 

Enthusiast
Message 60 of 70
Message 60 of 70

all i can say is... performed full hard resets on both MM and N.

and i could clearly see in MM the other cores being used for everyday things, eg browsing web etc.

and the phone would not heat up compared to N

So to me it seems that in N the 4 higher frequency (1.96ghz) cores are disabled, maybe not fully, but disabled to the point that youd have to running some kind of high cpu intensive program before they get activated.

At no time (and i dont do gaming, just browsing etc) on Nougat did i see the other cores running.

so there is something deliberate going on there.