account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Want to know more about Xperia 5? To read more about it go here.
If you can't find the answer to your question there please post it here and let the community help you.

Bug report: Location bug on Xperia Z5 Compact

Message 1 of 7
Message 1 of 7

Bug report: Location bug on Xperia Z5 Compact

Hello Sony,

I stumbled upon a bug in the latest official system update for the Xperia Z5 Compact. If this isn't the correct place for such report, please forward me where appropriate.

Every time I restart my device, instead of the Cached Network value being null (as it's just been rebooted), it always reports a fixed value of:
Lat/Lon: 47.0 / 4.0

No decimals, always exactly those values, regardless of where I am in France/ to which Cell tower or Wifi network I'm connected to.
Currently it's located 350km off where I truly am.

I fail to understand where these value are caught / generated from and really could use some help to try to find out.

None of my other Android phones behave this way (all Xperias, on Android 5.1.1 / 9.0), they report N/A (null) at first and after a moment Location starts to work correctly and accurately. I believe this is the intended behavior.

But for some reason on this Z5C, these values seem to be hardcoded somewhere as, again, every time I restart, I get these exact same values immediately upon reboot.

This phone has Android 7.1.1 original ROM from Sony.
It's rooted now, but the same bug always occured when it was not rooted before.

The stock / built-in Android Network Provider is com.qualcomm.location.

I tried playing with gps.conf and izat.conf, but no value I could change ever made a difference when it comes to this Cached location value popping out of nowhere on reboot.

I also tried to disable the Network Provider completely (freeze com.qualcomm.location package) and it does stop the wrong reporting thankfully, but then only the Play API and GPS are availble as Location providers, which is not ideal.

While it's not a problem for Google Maps, as it relies on the Play API, it is for every widget like Meteo, that rely on the native Android Network Provider. They always locate me in "Arleuf" (this place I've never been to in my life, located at exactly Lat/Lon: 47.0 / 4.0).

I tried everything I could think of, factory reset, used another google account on the phone after a factory reset, tried different region customized ROMS, tried to leave Maps opened with Wifi disabled for hours so it could learn where I was, nothing helps : at every reboot, the Cached Network provider reports Lat/Lon: 47.0 / 4.0.

On the attached pictures you can see the bug: I reboot the device then the first thing I do is take the pictures.

Thank you very much for your time reading this and please let me know if there's anything I can try or modify to fix this seriously annoying bug, or if you need any further infos. 
Regards,

TSR
0_Screenshot_20181222-182220.pngNotice Lat/Lon reported by the different providers.

Screenshot_20181222-165641.png

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Message 2 of 7

Re: Bug report: Location bug on Xperia Z5 Compact

Here is the same bug experienced by users in the UK:

https://talk.sonymobile.com/t5/Xperia-Z5-Z5-Compact-Z5-Premium/weather-widget-with-wrong-location/td...

The Weather widget does rely on the Android Network Provider, which is buggy on the Z5 family of phones.

I really hope a dev can look into it in details and hopefully issue a solution / patch.

Message 3 of 7
Message 3 of 7

I wonder if the media would be interested in Sonymobile's utter lack of support, because of course I reported the bug, multiple times , on questions.fr@support.sonymobile.com and was everytime redirected here. Is there truly no way to get in touch with fw devs to report a genuine, reproducible bug?

Emperor
Message 4 of 7
Message 4 of 7

@TheShadowRunner 

As you know this is a global user based forum, not sure why they redirected you here but have you considered live chat instead of contacting Sony through Email?

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

Message 5 of 7
Message 5 of 7

Yes I've actually no clue where to get proper support for this one.

When I contact sonymobile via mail, I'm redirected here, I believe they just don't want to deal with it, that the Z5 series is long dead to the dev team.

Yet the location bug I report can be easily reproduced (and most likely easily fixed as well) on any device in the Z5 series.

In a nutshell the "Network Location Provider" powered by Qualcomm Izat on the Z5 series is semi-broken ( com.qualcomm.location ), always starts with rounded coordinates when it shouldn't. Other Network providers on the Z5 such as "Play Network provider" or GPS based provider work just fine.

But because of the Qualcomm Izat bug, after each restart of the device the Location is way off.

It'd be really great if Sony could fix it, maybe as the last thing they do on the Z5..

Message 6 of 7
Message 6 of 7

Up, come on Sony, show a little care for your older devices... Help.

Message 7 of 7
Message 7 of 7

Any expert can relay this bug report to the relevant team, most likely the firmware dev team?

That'd be great..