account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Troubleshoot, find support articles, run tests directly on your phone with the support application.
Read more and discuss the app here.

Black screen while making a call

Highlighted
Message 1 of 2
Message 1 of 2

Black screen while making a call

Got xperia 5 compact  bought from singapore which worked fine for a few months then screen blanked when making a call. Did software repair via sony companion and reinstalled software. No apparent difference however I find that when phone ringing if I push power button twice quickly and see home screen symbol at bottom of screen . Press it and swipe down top left  and you can see a call tab with an 'end' command which if pressed will end the call if you wanted to! Grinning Face

1 REPLY 1
Sony Xperia Support
Message 2 of 2
Message 2 of 2

Re: Black screen while making a call

Hi @Craftycockney, I am very sorry to hear about this.

There is a sensor at the upper part of your display (see item 6 in the overview of the phone) intended detects if your ear is within proximity or not, and if it is then your display will go dark during calls. This is to avoid you accidentally ending calls with your cheek for example. 

You can test the functionality of the sensor using the Diagnostics tool that is pre-installed in your phone. In order to do this, find and tap Settings > About phone > Diagnostics > Tests > Proximity sensor. 

Do you have a display protector mounted on your device, or any cover which could cover the sensor? Try removing it in that case to see if the display. You can also try to clean the area around the sensor with a dry cloth and see if the phone behaves the same during calls.

If these measures do not manage to improve the behavior of the display during calls I would suggest that you contact your local support team in order to have your phone sent in to an authorized service center. If you have any questions regarding the service, such as routines, warranty and consumer laws, these type of questions are best answered by your local support team as well, as they vary between markets.

I hope this answered your question. If there is anything else that I can help with, feel free to ask! Slightly smiling Face

Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums, make sure that you've read our Discussion guidelines.

To get in touch with your local support team, please visit our contact page.