account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Curious about what is happening at IFA?
Read more and discuss the press conference here.

Bendgate Xperia Z5 Premium- Sony Singapore claims its my fault

Visitor
Message 1 of 19
Message 1 of 19

Bendgate Xperia Z5 Premium- Sony Singapore claims its my fault

This is a prime example of poor customer service, and poor product design.

Issue:

After putting my 3 month old phone in my back pocket (i always put my phone in back pocket, including 3 generations of Samung Galaxy Note) and taking my 18 mnth old for a bus ride I noticed while snapping a pic of my son that my phone is bent.

Took it to Sony centre at 313 Somerset and was informed that they will charge me for replacing LCD and frame as this is not covered by warranty. when I asked for explaination as to why, i wasnt given a satisfactory response. Response was in the tune of because its not.

Since when as putting your phone in the back pocket become a "misuse" of smartphone or a user fault. where does it state on the warranty that putting your phone in backpocket voids warranty? clearly Sony is trying to cover up for selecting faulty materials and poor design and pushing the "blame" on the user.

3 generations of Galaxy Note didnt suffer from #bendgate #poorservice #z5premium. Sure Samsung has boring UI, but atleast their phones are capable of being put in my back pocket and i get great cusomer service from them. (replaced cracked screen free of charge for first time issue).

Now, im waiting to get a call from Ron's manager as I refused to accept charges. Will keep you all posted.

first time Sony user and really regretting my choice!!

18 REPLIES 18
Sony Xperia Support
Message 2 of 19
Message 2 of 19

Re: Bendgate Xperia Z5 Premium- Sony Singapore claims its my fault

Hi @BilalSethi,

Welcome to the community.

The manufacturers warranty covers issues that would have occured through the manufacturing process or outside of your control. The act of putting it in your pocket is not the issue, but a bend device is classed as physical damage, and in most regions will not be covered by the conditions of the manufacturers warranty.

I hope this clears things up for you. I'm sorry you've experienced this problem.

Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums, make sure that you've read our Discussion guidelines.

To get in touch with your local support team, please visit our contact page.

Emperor
Message 3 of 19
Message 3 of 19

@BilalSethi

I'm sorry to hear that your phone was bent, what I get from your post, it seems that you had it in your back pocket and you probably sat on it >> bending it. you can check other brands an well you might find similar problems 

http://www.valuewalk.com/2014/10/samsung-galaxy-note-4-bendgate/

http://bgr.com/2014/10/08/galaxy-note-4-vs-iphone-6-plus-bend-test/

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

Highlighted
Demigod
Message 4 of 19
Message 4 of 19

No offence, but devices don't bend on it's own unless a certain amount of pressure or forced apply that will cause things to bend specially to metal or aluminium.

What if someone net's enough to do this and blame the manufacturer for materials used too?

Not mentioed, at back pocket. If that is a jeans and tight, when you bend over to grab some stuff it will also apply forced to bend and for sure it won't happen over night is over a number of prolong time.

Visitor
Message 5 of 19
Message 5 of 19

Hi @CameronT Thanks for the reply. However, I would like to point out that a device would only bend if the structural (frame) is weak. Why was it that none of my previous 3 Samsung Note devices didnt bend. I used them the same way. Also, why is it that the bend from the right side is ~20 degrees and on the left is 10-15 degrees? the reason is that the right side the frame is weaker due to the power button. Clearly a sign of low quality material selection, poor design and testing (or having lower standards of approval in stress testing) Hence, I argue that this should be covered by the manufacturer. The customer experience provide is very poor as I have not abused the phone nor have I dropped it. This occurred due to normal use of the phone. Placing phone in your pocket and sitting on it is normal. What I expected: I expected Sony to recognize that this is a issue, repair the phone at no charge BUT explain to be that if this happens again i would have to pay for the repair myself. Thats a great customer experience. And that's exactly what Samsung did for me when I cracked my screen on Note 4 Edge.
Visitor
Message 6 of 19
Message 6 of 19

@uliwooly

Yes I am aware of those phones bending and just like the Sony Experia z5 "Premium" device they are poorly designed. or have failed to create awareness within the users of the vulnerablities in design.

I expected better customer service from Sony, which I did not revcieve. Sony should have replaced the frame and lcd for free, notifying me that any further issues related to bendgate would have to be paid for.... they had a chance and they failed miseribly.

Visitor
Message 7 of 19
Message 7 of 19

@Bandolero

No offence taken, and no i dont wear tight jeans. But I do keep my phone in my back pocket as I dont like the feeling of a phone limiting my stride.

and yes, having the phone in your back pocket may result in you sitting on your phone. but it is my belief that manufacturers should create frames that can withstand certain pressure. I am not obese, and the weight/pressure I exert on a phone while I sit on it is not an outlier which would have bent the phone. My previous 3 Samsung Note devices had no bendgate issues.

another indication to the poor design and material selection (pointing to manufactuere fault) is that the bend on teh right side of the device (with the power button) is ~20degress, and left is about half that (10 degree), indicating that the space carved out to make room for teh power button further degredated the material strength, and made it more vulnerable to bending.

#poorquality, #poordeign, #poorcustomerservice

Message 8 of 19
Message 8 of 19

@BilalSethi

Wow, 20 degrees at one side and 15 at the other? I dunno why Samsung repaired your previous crack on Note 4 Edge but may be it was a nice gesture from them which they are not obliged to do it. If your claim is true that it's a bad design or poor materials, we'd see more of these bends around the globe from "normal use". I'd call iPhone 6 phenomenon a "bendgate" as you'd bend one using only 2 fingers, but I don't see this with Xperias.

I'm really sorry that you're having this bad experience, but may be you need to stop the habit of putting phones in your back pocket, it's not OK as you say it's a big no. 

Feel free to kudo this post or mark it as solution so that other users facing the same issue can find it

Disclaimer: Moderators are not affiliated with or work for Sony Mobile, their posts represent their own opinions and views. Click here to find out more about the different roles in the community.

Emperor
Message 9 of 19
Message 9 of 19

@BilalSethi

I understand that you are frustrated but I don't see why it has to be repaired or replaced for free if the you bent the device, I know how disapointed you might feel but the Z5 Premium its quite sturdy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZx44AjV1V8

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

Visitor
Message 10 of 19
Message 10 of 19

@quester

Yeah lesson learnt. howevr when you have a 18month in your hands, you are in a bus, holding a stroller, you would place the phone in any pocket you find. This seems to be a common problem with Sony phones. not just the X5 "Premium"...... not sure if I can call it premium anymore.

below are some links pointing to a global problem. simply google search for your self:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/xperia-z5/general/xperia-z5-bend-pocket-t3259654

http://www.in.techradar.com/news/phone-and-communications/mobile-phones/Sony-Xperia-Z5-Dual-just-got...