account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Troubleshoot, find support articles, run tests directly on your phone with the support application.
Read more and discuss the app here.

Automatically transfer photos to PC over wifi

Adviser
Message 1 of 10
Message 1 of 10

Automatically transfer photos to PC over wifi

Hi all,

Has anyone found a good solution for this? 

I have a Z5 and want to transfer my photos and videos automatically over wifi to my PC. This was apparently possible on my old Z2 using Media Go (though I personally never got it to work properly).

At the moment, I'm using a third party app called "Photosync". It works quite well, except that it doesn't rotate photos or videos upon import (they told me that there's no standard way of embedding the info into the media so they can't determine which way each item goes).

Does anyone have a good, working alternative? (Or could some clever person tell the Photosync guys how to find out which way up a photo/video goes?).

Thanks,

Nick

9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted
Scavenger Hunt Winner
Message 2 of 10
Message 2 of 10

Re: Automatically transfer photos to PC over wifi

Do you mean instantly or manual transfer?
Instant as in - take a photo and woosh... it goes to your PC

//----------------- C:\》$ Path- Thyme: .trawler //-----------------Auto-Correct Disclaimer: Not sorry. //----------------- Batteries not included.
Adviser
Message 3 of 10
Message 3 of 10

Ideally woosh instant! Or at least automated to chcek and backup once or twice a day or something.

The Photosync app I'm using is fairly much instant, but it doesn't rotate, which is a huge pain.

Why would Sony take out the best feature of the Sony Companion / Media Go thing, and then not put it in the Xperia Companion?

Scavenger Hunt Winner
Message 4 of 10
Message 4 of 10

Built in: Google Drve and Google Photos, Sony Album Sync, Picasa

This stuff can eat your data if you don't watch it carefully though

Play Market: Dropbox

//----------------- C:\》$ Path- Thyme: .trawler //-----------------Auto-Correct Disclaimer: Not sorry. //----------------- Batteries not included.
Adviser
Message 5 of 10
Message 5 of 10

Thanks, but I need something offline as I live in the middle of nowhere and my Internet/Wi-Fi is 4g, so I've got a low monthly limit. 

I do use Google Photos to sync when I'm somewhere where I can use unlimited Internet, but if I wanted any of those to sync back to the pc I think it would use bandwidth (and Google Photos would reduce file size I think).

Thanks 

Scavenger Hunt Winner
Message 6 of 10
Message 6 of 10

set up a dlna, your wifi only works 50m max by the way and thats if you want a decent speed and you can physically see the computer, so you'll need to be taking photos near your computer with what you're describing

Adviser
Message 7 of 10
Message 7 of 10

Haha, obviously I didn't make that very clear!

What I meant was "how can I get photos that I take on my phone (whilst out and about, at home, wherever) to automatically copy/sync/backup to my PC via wifi when I arrive home?"!

I'm guessing there's no good solution, it sounds like one of the most basic things to me, but I guess it isn't.

Thanks for your help though

Sage
Message 8 of 10
Message 8 of 10

@byrd1uk

You could use Google's photo app and let it sync them by the cloud.

This is the more straight solution I can think about.

Scavenger Hunt Winner
Message 9 of 10
Message 9 of 10

@byrd1uk wrote:

Haha, obviously I didn't make that very clear!

What I meant was "how can I get photos that I take on my phone (whilst out and about, at home, wherever) to automatically copy/sync/backup to my PC via wifi when I arrive home?"!

I'm guessing there's no good solution, it sounds like one of the most basic things to me, but I guess it isn't.

Thanks for your help though

That one is easy

You need tasker or another macro app, and then create a task to transfer.

The best way I would recommend is

1) Need a storage location: Server/SMB/FTP/NAS/HDD on Router

2) Use a decent File Manager (File Commander is... meh... Ok... but meh... ) Solid Explorer is not too  shabby. (Expect to pay for a decent app). X-plore File Manager is ok.  If you have any Networking or NAS equipment by ASUS, then get the ASUS File Explorer. Look for anything that has active development within 4 weeks of current calendar date. I use File Explorer by NextApp.

I'm biased with NextApp F(ile)X(plorer), because I like it's features, when ES File Explorer Pro still doesn't remove the Task Manager App (with Advertising) links

3) Setup the the storage location address on the App, and make sure you can transfer files.

4) Setup a task to detect when connected to home wifi, transfer "Source Images Folder" to "Destination Storage Location" using "My Preferred File Manager"

I know what you want, because that's what I do - I try to avoid cloud because I try to keep my data usage to a minimum. There are some devices I have that I give unrestricted usage - but certain things, I only want under certain conditions.

FX is really good at this because I do manual transfers using it's in-app split panel, and I connect directly to my PC, or I can do it via WAN with port forwarding on my router, or LAN, or WiDirect to another device with FX.

http://imgur.com/a/FIbga

There's also a reverse method - have your device move the photos to a DLNA that the device shares, and then from the computer, have a task to detect when the device connects, and then pull the images from the DLNA shared folder

Adviser
Message 10 of 10
Message 10 of 10

Nice! That sounds like it!

I had no idea that I could do that, I'll give it a go (sounds a bit comlicated for a noob like me but it sounds like it will do exactly what I want).

Thanks for your help!