account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up cart mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Android 6 on Z5 Premium - First Impression

Regular
Message 1 of 17
Message 1 of 17

Android 6 on Z5 Premium - First Impression

Hi Community,

Yesterday I updated my Z5 Premium to Marshmallow using PC Companion. Here's what I have found within 24 hours:

1) No change to Xperia Home - just a Settings page to change the icon size and pane transition. Big deal.

2) STAMINA mode is gone. With a battery life much worse than my Z3, this is something I can't accept.

3) No trace of anything called Doze.

4) Dialer is changed a little bit. Still, if the contact picture is not in the correct resolution (what is the correct resolution anyway??), the Dialer shows it in a small circle on the lower left corner not in full screen. This awfully simple issue is not resolved.

5) Fingerprint scanner does not recognize me. I never had this issue on previous build.

My first phone ever was Sony CMD-Z5 (introduced on 2000) and I have used Sony/SonyEricsson phones ever since. Now it is time to reconsider.

Regards

Omid

16 REPLIES
Emperor
Message 2 of 17
Message 2 of 17

Re: Android 6 on Z5 Premium - First Impression

@Shojaee

since this is a major update you should reinstall Marshmallow with PCC, it will smooth things out, do you have any other security apps?

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

Regular
Message 3 of 17
Message 3 of 17

Hi,

Thanks for reply.

Please elaborate. As I mentioned, I did the update with PCC. Do you mean I have to reset to factory settings after update?

And no I don't have any other security app installed.

Regards

Omid

Emperor
Message 4 of 17
Message 4 of 17

@Shojaee

I just updated my Z5 Premium and it gave me 2 options, either update or factory reset + update

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

Message 5 of 17
Message 5 of 17

@Shojaee wrote:

Hi Community,

Yesterday I updated my Z5 Premium to Marshmallow using PC Companion. Here's what I have found within 24 hours:

1) No change to Xperia Home - just a Settings page to change the icon size and pane transition. Big deal.

2) STAMINA mode is gone. With a battery life much worse than my Z3, this is something I can't accept.

3) No trace of anything called Doze.

4) Dialer is changed a little bit. Still, if the contact picture is not in the correct resolution (what is the correct resolution anyway??), the Dialer shows it in a small circle on the lower left corner not in full screen. This awfully simple issue is not resolved.

5) Fingerprint scanner does not recognize me. I never had this issue on previous build.

My first phone ever was Sony CMD-Z5 (introduced on 2000) and I have used Sony/SonyEricsson phones ever since. Now it is time to reconsider.

Regards

Omid

1. There are home screen settings, where you can change icon size, icon appearance,  you can apply transitions, you can select to enable keyboard when searching apps.

2. Stamina mode has been replaced with doze. You can read more here.

3. You can't actually see doze, because it is a feature that optimizes. See this article.

4. It seems this should be ok now according to this user.

5. Have you tried to clean the sensor? Now it should work smoother, everyone accepts that. See this thread for further info.

Moderators are not affiliated with, or work for Sony Mobile, and their posts represent their own opinions and views. Click here to find out more about the different roles on the community.

Adviser
Message 6 of 17
Message 6 of 17

-instead of doing useless dailer UI update, how about actually add something useful Sony, like call blocking and sms blocking which were in my Galaxy S3 since 4 years ago. Right now I have to rely on my anti virus to block calls, and there is nothing I can do to block sms spam from the same phone number. Don't tell me to go download some 3rd party app, how about actually do your own work for the people that pay 1k for your phone.

-my previous finger prints don't work either I have to rescan all my fingers. I think they switch over to built in API from google, which takes longer to unlock.

-Battery life is definitely worse here, MM doze mode is not very effective, stamina mode from before is much better. The battery life is more or less like 5.1 without stamina mode, maybe a bit worse.

really hoping they will allow 5-6 icons in a row by default, so far the effort Sony put into Z5P software is pathetic, it shares basically the same software across all the Z5 line up beside a couple of their own apps that take advantage of the screen. Youtube still doesn't allow 4K play back which should be the biggest no brainer to make it compatible. Tons and tons of 4K contents on youtube.

Emperor
Message 7 of 17
Message 7 of 17

@gitaroo

no 4K content access on youtube its up to Google to allow it, not Sony. 

You already have an answer on your post regarding the phone number blocking.

https://talk.sonymobile.com/t5/Xperia-Z1-Z1s/Please-add-call-or-phone-number-blocking-option/td-p/47...

Android 6.0 its a major update, you should consider re-install it with PCC, it might smooth things out

I can't recreate the finger print not being recognized. 

I wasn't aware that you bought a Z5 Premium, based on your posts.

https://talk.sonymobile.com/t5/forums/recentpostspage/post-type/message/user-id/112403

its a great phone.

@gitaroo wrote:

-instead of doing useless dailer UI update, how about actually add something useful Sony, like call blocking and sms blocking which were in my Galaxy S3 since 4 years ago. Right now I have to rely on my anti virus to block calls, and there is nothing I can do to block sms spam from the same phone number. Don't tell me to go download some 3rd party app, how about actually do your own work for the people that pay 1k for your phone.

-my previous finger prints don't work either I have to rescan all my fingers. I think they switch over to built in API from google, which takes longer to unlock.

-Battery life is definitely worse here, MM doze mode is not very effective, stamina mode from before is much better. The battery life is more or less like 5.1 without stamina mode, maybe a bit worse.

really hoping they will allow 5-6 icons in a row by default, so far the effort Sony put into Z5P software is pathetic, it shares basically the same software across all the Z5 line up beside a couple of their own apps that take advantage of the screen. Youtube still doesn't allow 4K play back which should be the biggest no brainer to make it compatible. Tons and tons of 4K contents on youtube.

Talent
Message 8 of 17
Message 8 of 17

Excuse me but the problem was solved for contacts under lower dPI but the phone dialer now is worse. When I get a call everything is messed up with 320 dPI.

That's my only issue with MM for now everything else is great. 

Talent
Message 9 of 17
Message 9 of 17

Again, no burst mode with at least 8mpx in stock camera app.
I think its the poorest stock camera app with settings among top 10 flagship phones, excluding Apple. And even iPhone has burst with full resolution and zero shutter lag...

Edit: and no touch to focus while video recording.

These are all simple and small things that are considered as ''standard'' in today's terms and yet, they are missing...

Adviser
Message 10 of 17
Message 10 of 17

"no 4K content access on youtube its up to Google to allow it, not Sony. "

No, all other 2K phones allow youtube to pick up their screen res and set the video to 1440 as long the high quality source is available to match the screen. It sony that restricted the res to 1080p max that locked out all the higher res video on youtube app because youtube see the phone as a 1080p phone. And that call blocking method is sloppy and just a cheap work around trick. What if I don't want them to go into my voice mail, I dont want my mail box to filled with spam. Real call blocking is you look at your call log or sms log, click on the call and block it permenantly like instantly hang up the phone the moment they call you again and delete sms before you even see it. I bought the z5 premium dual last yeah, the hardware is great but looking at the way sony deal with the software really makes me reconsidering to ever get a sony phone ever again. Coming from z ultra especially, sony had done something right with the UI with 6 icons in a row due to much large screen. The z5p 5.5" screen is better with 5 smaller icons or 6 makes the 1080p resolution less appearent and icons sharper.