account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Troubleshoot, find support articles, run tests directly on your phone with the support application.
Read more and discuss the app here.

microphone

Learner
Message 1 of 6
Message 1 of 6

microphone

HI, my microphone can hear my voice only when i use camera (for recording video). But it do not work for phone call . Any solution?

thanks before

5 REPLIES 5
Sony Xperia Support
Message 2 of 6
Message 2 of 6

Re: microphone

Hi @dekkres, sorry to hear about this. Slightly frowning Face

When you are recording videos or using the device in speaker mode during a call, the second microphone will be used and not the "main" one.

There is an inbuilt test in the device for the main microphone that I recommend that you do. That way we can see if the microphone is working or not. The test can be found in Settings > Support > Xperia tests > Microphone.

You can also try putting your device on speakerphone during a call and see if the counterpart can hear you then, just so we know if the behaviour is connected to the main microphone or if you experience the same behaviour even with speakerphone.

Let me know how it went! Slightly smiling Face

Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums, make sure that you've read our Discussion guidelines.

To get in touch with your local support team, please visit our contact page.

Learner
Message 3 of 6
Message 3 of 6

Hi @Jonas, thanks for your answer. Yes, i have test my microphone and its not working. Like you said, it work on call when i use speaker mode. So, is it mean that my main microphone break?

Is there any way to use only second microphone? Or it must be repair?

Highlighted
Sony Xperia Support
Message 4 of 6
Message 4 of 6

Hi again @dekkres!

There is no setting that will change you use the second microphone when you have the device up at your ear during a call (unless you activate the loudspeaker, but since calls can be very private, it's not the optimal way of using it). You can also use a headset and use the microphone on that one.

To further troubleshooting the main microphone, could you try and restart your device in safe mode and see if the microphone works in here? You can also make sure that nothing is covering the microphone or that there is any dirt or moisture inside the microphone hole. You can see where the microphone is placed at the link below and it's number 9.

https://support.sonymobile.com/global-en/xperiaz3plus/userguide/overview---iy/

If you still aren't able to hear anything when you do the test after doing the troubleshooting above, perform a software repair using Xperia Companion, but remember to create a backup, as the repair will delete all data stored on the internal storage of the device.

Keep me posted!

If you're new to our forums, make sure that you've read our Discussion guidelines.

Learner
Message 5 of 6
Message 5 of 6

Thanks @Jonas

"To further troubleshooting the main microphone, could you try and restart your device in safe mode and see if the microphone works in here?" 

Yes, I have tried it,  but it doesn't work.

"You can also make sure that nothing is covering the microphone or that there is any dirt or moisture inside the microphone hole"

Yes, it clean outside. But not sure inside.

Before I replace the LCD, this can work. I have replaced it with a new LCD and trouble has come. Can this affect?

I'm afraid to release it again, because it's so fragile.

Sony Xperia Support
Message 6 of 6
Message 6 of 6

Hi again!

All repairs are done at authorized service centres, so I can't really say if changing the display can have any impact on the microphone, but if you replaced the display and you experienced this behaviour directly after and since it was working fine before, it could very well be the cause.

In your case, it's probably best to take a second look at everything and see if there anything you can do.