account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Troubleshoot, find support articles, run tests directly on your phone with the support application.
Read more and discuss the app here.

Z3 D6603 still in production?

Learner
Message 1 of 4
Message 1 of 4

Z3 D6603 still in production?

Hello all,

I'm new to this forum. I found it while seaching some information regarding the Z3.

My Z1 is in use for 5 years now, and I still like the design, the waterresistance, the earphone connector, the quality and the "charging pins", which is much better way to charge than any other "plug".

No actual Sony phone is offering this.

However, my Z1 is getting old and needs replacement soon.

On Ebay, I found lots of offers for the Z3. NEW.

I'm wondering how old theses devises could be. It's not the phone itself, but the batteries are aging over the time, even when not used. Is there a way trace this with the IMEI or any other way?

Does anybody know?

Thanx!

C.

3 REPLIES 3
Sony Xperia Support
Message 2 of 4
Message 2 of 4

Re: Z3 D6603 still in production?

Hi @Cybermat, welcome to our forum!

I'm afraid that I don't have any information for how long a device is in production, but I don't think that a device that was released in 2014 would still be in production.

Is there a way to contact the seller directly and ask them when it was purchased? They should still have the receipt from when they purchased the device and they should be able to tell you when they bought it and you will know how old the device is.

Most of our newer devices from 2016 and onwards are no longer using micro USB and is instead using USB Type-C which offers both faster transfer rates, but it also makes it close to impossible to insert the cable "wrong" in the USB port. Our latest device also supports wireless charging, but these devices does not have a headphone jack, you can still use the adapter that is included with the device to connect a wired headset though.

There is also another factor that is worth to take into consideration and that is when purchasing a device that was released 4½ years ago, it will reach end of support and at that point, no spare parts will be available at the service centres, you won't be able to use for example, Xperia Companion to repair the software in the device and so forth.

I hope that helps! Slightly smiling Face

Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums, make sure that you've read our Discussion guidelines.

To get in touch with your local support team, please visit our contact page.

Learner
Message 3 of 4
Message 3 of 4

Hi Jonas,

thank you for your replay.

I haven't been using the Companion tool ever, so I understand your objection, but this is not a point for me.

Also, I have no issue to plug in a micro USB instead of a USB-C, but the magnetic connector is simply much better. Just imagine you're in a hurry and crab your phone and go... the magnetic connector just gets released, and that's all. With a USB you do this just once (I tested this accidental with my Z tablet). So this was the most clever idea aside from inductive charging, and it's a pity that Sony has given this up.

However, how a phone released in 2014 and with (soon) 7 successors could be still in production, is exactly my point. I asked the seller, and I wanted to be prepared for his answer... but he seems to see the problem as well, and didn't repeat so far... ;-)

By the way, it's not a question of price, even a XZ1 is not much more expensive, or I get a XZ2/3 (inductive charging!)...

Anyway, thank you!

C.

Highlighted
Sony Xperia Support
Message 4 of 4
Message 4 of 4

Hi again @Cybermat!

I understand and yeah, it's really easy to just grab it from the charger when it's not connected with a cable, that is very true! Slightly smiling Face

Hopefully the seller will reply so you will now exactly when it was purchased and if you feel that it would still be OK if it was bought in, for example, 2016! Slightly smiling Face

Feel free to keep me on how it goes and have a great weekend!

Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums, make sure that you've read our Discussion guidelines.

To get in touch with your local support team, please visit our contact page.