account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Want to know more about Xperia 5? To read more about it go here.
If you can't find the answer to your question there please post it here and let the community help you.

Xperia Z3v - Lack of support and synergy with existing Xperia software

Rookie
Message 1 of 10
Message 1 of 10

Xperia Z3v - Lack of support and synergy with existing Xperia software

So far I like my Xperia Z3v but don't love it. Among the reasons, the most glaring one is the disconnect from Sony Mobile Support and Verizon Wireless, neither cares about owners of the Z3v...

I understood that the Z3v was a re-branded and modified Z3 for the Verizon network, so some minor differences (size, battery, etc.) would be present. I was unaware, however, that Sony would basically turn a blind eye to the phone and Verizon wouldn't do more than basic support (if it 'aint broken, we don't care).

Here's what I mean:

- No PC companion support (Z3v will not be recognized by the program. I've done a support chat with Sony Care and they said that was because Z3v is only supported by Verizon and not Sony....Imagine if Apple said that about the 'Verizon' version of iphones...no itunes integration, users just had to upload files directly to iphone with no programs or interface... )

- No Media Go support (same as above)

- No Wireless connect to computer (it's tied to the PC Companion issues, I believe)

- No way to transfer contacts or files from previous phone (again, PC Companion) without buying an extra connector

For a company that is seemingly struggling to stay afloat in anything besides Playstation related stuff, you would think Sony would try a little harder to be there for customers who took a gamble and bought their product.

I have a few days to decide if I want to keep this phone and if I don't hear any noise about Sony working on a way to get the Z3v to play nicely with their PC Companion and related software, I will likely return it and pay the re-stocking fee to get a phone that is actually supported by the company who made it.

9 REPLIES 9
Sony Xperia Support
Message 2 of 10
Message 2 of 10

Re: Xperia Z3v - Lack of support and synergy with existing Xperia software

I'm afraid i don't have any information regarding if Z3v will be supported or not i future versions of our softwares but i will forward your feedback internally.

I don't have access to a Z3v so i can't test it but Media Go may perhaps work if you downloaded the standalone version from here: http://mediago.sony.com/enu/features

You may also be able to sync music and media with the phone with other softwares that supports portable devices in general such as Windows Media Player.

sony_sign_logo.png - Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums make sure that you have read our Discussion guidelines.
If you want to get in touch with the local support team for your country please visit our contact page.

Rookie
Message 3 of 10
Message 3 of 10

Thank you Rickard for your response, but the standalone installation did not result in any changes.

I recognize it was probably Verizon's fault to some extent with their desire to create a custom version of the Xperia Z3 instead of just using the standard model, but I still cannot see why the PC Companion or Media Go cannot be updated to recognize and work with the Z3V system and structures.

I have been a life-long sony fan and have been happy with the way Sony reacts and supports their users for the most part. That is probably why I feel this slide in support is so discouraging.

Again, I don't see any other brand of phone makers (that I know of) turning a blind eye to their newest phones just because it's on a different network or a slightly different build (mechanicaly and software wise). My understanding is that all i-phones must be different slightly for Verizon and AT&T networks due to the network and setup requirements, but Apple doesn't limit itunes compatibility with just one network's version of the phone, it works across all Apple products. I made the leap from Apple to Sony because I like Sony, but this is not a good start for my experience with this phone and Sony's software.

I do appreciate your support and recognize you have limited ability to fix the situation, so I do hope you forward my sentiments to the appropriate internal teams.

thanks again.

Sony Xperia Support
Message 4 of 10
Message 4 of 10

Sorry to hear that it didn't work Slightly frowning Face

I have forwarded your feedback and hopefully support for Z3v can be added in the future but software support may also be something that needs to be requested by the operator in this case.

sony_sign_logo.png - Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums make sure that you have read our Discussion guidelines.
If you want to get in touch with the local support team for your country please visit our contact page.

One time poster
Message 5 of 10
Message 5 of 10

I to am a big Sony fan and also have the Z3v plus the Z2 tablet, Bravia TV, Sony Stero reciever, PS3 and PS4. I got the Z3v to semmlessly interact with everything else but to have this one piece, PC companion, not allow my phone to seemlessly work with my PC is a big disapointment.

Highlighted
Rookie
Message 6 of 10
Message 6 of 10

Add me to the list of customers with buyer's remorse.  I absolutely -love- my Xperia Z3v and Xperia Z2 tablet (for Verizon, natch); but getting any kind of support is nearly impossible.  Android "Marshmallow" is on the horizon and I'm still stuck with Kit-Kat on both devices and even HTC...HTC!...has updated their phones to Lollipop.

I get "DM" errors trying to download an update. PC Companion doesn't recognize either device (like a dummy, I had faith in Sony and purchased both at the same time).  I don't know nor do I care who's "fault" it is because I'm a new customer for Verizon and these were my first Sony devices.  All I know is that when my contract is up I'm leaving Verizon/Sony and going back to AT&T/Samsung because of this ridiculous lack of support for flagship devices.

Sony, if you can't support multiple flagship devices that are only a year old you deserve to get beaten out of the market.  Complete fail on your part.  Say "hello" to HTC when you hit the bottom.

Message 7 of 10
Message 7 of 10

The Z3v is not a customised version of the Z3 sorry to say.The Z3 codename is Leo.The Z3v has the same codename as the Z2 which is Sirius.
One time poster
Message 8 of 10
Message 8 of 10

I am in the same boat . went from Samsung to Sony . wish I had got that s5 or note
Visitor
Message 9 of 10
Message 9 of 10

My xperia z3 mobile got damaged completely, in an accident. while i'm trying to repair it. Sony is not reponding.. Do you know, any support or service centre..?

Emperor
Message 10 of 10
Message 10 of 10

@jir1990

I'm sorry to hear that >>> Local support

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)