account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Troubleshoot, find support articles, run tests directly on your phone with the support application.
Read more and discuss the app here.

Xperia Z3 sudden black screen

Learner
Message 1 of 6
Message 1 of 6

Xperia Z3 sudden black screen

Earlier today I was looking at a FB message while the Walkman app was playing music (running in the background) when the screen just switched itself off. Music was still playing and I could adjust the volume using the buttons on the side. I switched the phone off using the off button next to the sim card slot and then turned it back on as per normal. You feel it vibrate and the screen backlight comes on (it's not completely off/black if you see what I mean) but still, nothing shows. Also you can't hear the little jingle that's normally playing when the Xperia boot sequence comes on but Android does appear to boot however, because my Garmin vivosmart band picks up and connects using bluetooth and Whatsapp messages seems to be delivered (judging by the sound). So, I'm guessing that the phone does reach the pattern unlock / sim card unlock screen. 

I'm going to try and use a micro USB to HDMI cable and connect the phone to the TV and see if anything shows, then hopefully be able to log in using a mouse and back up some pics and perhaps try to do a software repair using the PC Companion software? I guess I could try the doing the repair but would obviously loose all data. Is there any other way to access the internal storage if you can't unlock the phone or do a backup to the PC?

Any suggestions of what to do? I was going to call the Sony support tomorrow and hear what they have to say.

I've heard that the screen comes back on after a reboot but that doesn't seems to work, tried it several times. Left it off for about 2 hours, tried again and then charged it (nothing shows even if the phone was off) for 2 hours but still, all black. Anyone else had this problem? 

5 REPLIES 5
Forum Legend
Message 2 of 6
Message 2 of 6

Re: Xperia Z3 sudden black screen

It's possible that the backlight has burned out resulting in the screen not displaying - You may see a faint image if you have a bright light shinning on the screen or worst case is that the graphics chip has been damaged

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.   Richard P. Feynman

Highlighted
Message 3 of 6
Message 3 of 6

that sounds like GPU/Graphic's chip has burnt out or broken or lost connection with screen maybe display cable has poped out of place but i doubt that's it :/ mostlikely the GPU is burned out so i would suggest you to go to store where you bought it and have them to send it off for repair.

Learner
Message 4 of 6
Message 4 of 6

Yeah seems like it's a hardware issue Slightly frowning Face Getting a new one sent to me and returning this one...

Thanks anyways guys!

One time poster
Message 5 of 6
Message 5 of 6

hey did you fix it and how much did it cost?

One time poster
Message 6 of 6
Message 6 of 6

So I've had this problem coming on and off and now it just won't budge. My previous solutions for this problem in the past was to slightly bend the phone in a variety of ways until the screen showed, it also started glitching out as well and that is how I got that solution. Unfortunately, I don't have such a small amount of time with mine (2 months) but 1 full month with this never ending problem. Any help will be accepted.