account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Want to know more about Xperia 5? To read more about it go here.
If you can't find the answer to your question there please post it here and let the community help you.

Xperia Z3 - did its own factory reset overnight - lost all of my data ! Was I hacked ?

Rookie
Message 1 of 7
Message 1 of 7

Xperia Z3 - did its own factory reset overnight - lost all of my data ! Was I hacked ?

Hello

I woke this morning to see that my phone which I left charging all night was sitting at the setup screen.  I had no choice but to comply with the regional settings etc, and prayed that once I had completed, my data would still be there, it wasn't.

What would appear to have happened is that during the night, my mobile phone reset itself to factory settings.  I have lost everything, all data, all messages, all music etc.  Its even deleted all of the data from the sd card !  Has anyone ever encountered anything as truly weird as this ??

Not sure what more info I can give from a support perspective.

I am really worried that someone may have hacked the handset and forced the reset. I am also worried that if I setup everything again from scratch, all of that info will be available to whoever broke into the phone.

Please help I have lost everything from my phone.

Has anyone heard of this happening before > Should I return my handset to the repair centre ?

Kind regards
Antony
6 REPLIES 6
Emperor
Message 2 of 7
Message 2 of 7

Re: Xperia Z3 - did its own factory reset overnight - lost all of my data ! Was I hacked ?

To factory reset your phone you will need PC Companion or Bridge, you will have to connect the phone to a computer and run the programs etc. 

The other alternative is if someone has your Gmail password and they access myXperia or android device manager and wipe out your phone. 

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

Highlighted
Emperor
Message 3 of 7
Message 3 of 7

Re: Xperia Z3 - did its own factory reset overnight - lost all of my data ! Was I hacked ?

Suggestions:

1. backup everything 

2. change your Gmail password

3. repair your phone with PCC 

PC Companion (PCC)

Bridge (for Mac)

Alternatives on How to backup Xperias

http://talk.sonymobile.com/thread/36355

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

Message 4 of 7
Message 4 of 7

i think your gmail account was hacked so some 1 logged into it and wiped your phone at my xperia site :/

Message 5 of 7
Message 5 of 7

I have woken to my phone restarting in the night on more than one occasion. But never a reset. Change your passwords bro Winking Face
Message 6 of 7
Message 6 of 7

tip activate 2 steps auth thing in gmail that way if some 1 cracks your pass it will ask for a code that only you have Slightly smiling Face which it then will be impossible for them to enter.

One time poster
Message 7 of 7
Message 7 of 7

Same to my phone reset itself in the morning..I lost all my file..can I recover it..can someone help me..please