account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

If you want to get the max out of your Xperia phone then check out Xperia tips page.

Xperia Z3 cracked screen

One time poster
Message 151 of 165
Message 151 of 165

Re: Xperia Z3 cracked screen

Mine had front protector and case fell from a small table onto carpet and the screen smashed. Put it on charge on a night time and woke up and it was smashed again. Sick of paying to replace now. Regret upgrading z1 was so much better. Can't wait to go to iPhone as I'm paying a contract for it to sit in my cupboard.
Visitor
Message 152 of 165
Message 152 of 165

Hello just wondering if you have been able to fix or replace your screen as I have the same problem and the top of my screen is no longer responsive to touch. Thanks, E

@Wolfville_1288 wrote:

Hello,

Yesterday my Xperia Z3 fell of the chair I was sitting on, it's not even 40cm height yet the screen cracked and now half of it is not responding. I have to admit I'm a bit disappointed as to how easily that happened but I'm hoping there's a way to have it fixed. I have not been able to find any replacement screens anywhere for the phone. Any chance I can buy one from you? I'm not looking to have the phone replace since I'm sure warranty probably doesn't cover falls (even that small) but I would like to get it fixed since I've only had it for 4 days now.

Thanks!

Apj
Adept
Message 153 of 165
Message 153 of 165

Guys my z3 d6633 front screen cracked and the frame was bent got it replaced after the replacement the mobile signal is not detected on both the sims when i place a call it says "switch off airplane mode" the mode is off but it says the same thing, any ideas with this? I mean is it a physcial connectivity issue or a software issue?

One time poster
Message 154 of 165
Message 154 of 165

Re: Broken glass Xperia Z3

The sony Xperia z3 is way to slippery and will wonder off anything that isnt perfectly level. Mine was replaced for a bad camera and then the replacement didnt have the screen protectors. The replacement i got had poor loud speaker volume and i was getting around to taking it back to the repair centre. Then the Screen developed a dead spot with regards to touch. Another 2 months went by struggling with the poor screen and then i got a small crack at the bottom right of the screen when putting it down on the counter. It was such a light connection with the counter. now the sony service centre in Doha say that the warranty is void because of the crack. So dissapointed with the whole experience of the phone. especially having purchased an extended warranty.

One time poster
Message 155 of 165
Message 155 of 165

Re: Z3 self crakking

I tripped on a stair yesterday with theZ3 in my hand. I held on to the phone to protect it. I went to use my phone later only to find it non-responsive. I noticed a hairline crack and that's the end of my phone. It's a dud outside the lab and not built for real life experiences. I will never touch a Sony phone again. i had iphones before and they are much more suited to real life..cracked screens and the iphone keeps going. So have dexided that this an expensive lesson as I won't bother to get it repaired..

Message 156 of 165
Message 156 of 165

No, being able to run fingers over broken glass and still use your phone isn't suited better to real life, it's a kind of darwinism in a way. Why would you want to be able to do this?
The more "real life" friendly option is.. If you break glass, fix it.

Moderators are not affiliated with, or work for Sony Mobile, and their posts represent their own opinions and views.
Click here to find out more about the different roles on the community.

One time poster
Message 157 of 165
Message 157 of 165

im glad im not the only one with this problem, i thought it was me being careless or something.

i first cracked the phone when it was just in my pocket, didnt drop it or anything, didnt do anythign out of the ordinary, just took it out and it was broken, 80 pound to get fixed, second time only 3 months later, you guessed it, in my pocket, again didnt do anything out of the ordinary, rather annoyingly i paid 80 pound once again......3rd time!!!! yep in my pocket, this time it looks more aggressively cracked almost like i dropped it, but i can assure you that is not the case.

SO im faced with paying 80 pound again to take it to 240 pound and a rather hefty monthly bill to go along with that i may add anyway, or throw the  thing away, cut my losses and get a new one because i know where Sony will tell me to stick it, oh and i had the hard wearing expensive add on gladd on top of the screen aswell, alot of good that did me.

I bought the phone on the pretense that its a hard wearing dust/waterproof phone that can handle a bit of wear and tear, not break in your pocket when your walking

One time poster
Message 158 of 165
Message 158 of 165

Another Xperia Z3 with a cracked screen, to add the very long list of unhappy Sony customers. This isn't the first time this has happened.

My first Xperia Z screen cracked for no reason, after a number calls, with Sony trying to charge me for repair (called "being fobbed off") they finally repaired it under-warranty. The screen cracked again a year later when my son had it, I replaced it with a screen from ebay for £20, which has lasted longer than any Sony screen has survived normal phone life.

Due to fact that Sony, back then did finally repair it under-warranty, I give them a 2nd chance and bought a Z3 model, believing that the random cracking screen of the older model, had been resolved in the new model of smart phones, as any good manufacturer would have done. No I was very wrong!!!

While on business overseas, I pulled my Z3 phone out from my trousers, same trousers and pocket it had been carried around for last year and 9 months, only to find the upper part of touch screen not working, due to a number of hairline cracks. Same problem as my last Xperia Z phone, cracked in a very similar way. Luckily, I learn from problems of pass (unlike Sony) and I carry a 2nd backup Smart Phone - Samsung XCover 3 - a waterproof and far more robust (for daily life) smart phone, than any phone that Sony can produce, IMHO. So, change over SIM Card and SD card, and back in business with another phone.

I was able to take off my data from the Z3, with a USB mouse, lesson learn from my Z phone, something that I'd figure out myself, as Sony didn't have a solution for this problem, when contact in the past. A previous lesson learnt Sony Customer Support is hopeless.

Contact Sony to arrange warranty repair (as before), had problems with their website and logging in, but got around that by calling them again!

So, no surprise, I send off the phone, Sony says the problem isn't warranty (phone still with the 2 year warranty), and would like me to paid for the repair of their continued manufacturing problems. After a call with a very unhelpfully "Customer Support Advisor", who had heard it all before, quoting Sony Company Policy at me repeatedly. After a further very, very unhelpfully call back from a Sony Manager.

Options:

Paid Sony £30 to return my in warranty phone, back to me unrepaired. Daylight robbery, as they can't tell whether will fixed under warranty or not, until you send it to them. Buy screen from ebay for £30 and fit it myself. Total £60

Or

Have Sony Repair it, £25 labour (about an hour to replace a Smart phone screen) - that's fine. but £13 admin fee **bleep** is that for??? and £90 for replacement screen, which is only three times the price of screen from ebay. With my limited experience, I've find the ebay screens are better than the Sony ones. So far, ebay screen still working and Sony screens, 3 broken for no reason other than using them as a mobile phone, not a phone, that is best required to be covered in bubble wrap for its life, but can gently put it in water, just don't drop it in water as the impact from hitting the water, may (will) crack the screen. Total £120

Or

Take my case to the Small Claims Court and never buy a Sony Phone ever again, or any other Sony Products. Lesson Learnt. Cost? don’t know, but I’m sure it will cost Sony more money than me.

This is a great shame, the Sony Z are a great phones, apart from the screen cracking and its unhelpful attitude to its customer.

Give it a few more years and Sony won't have a customer left, to buy Sony Smart phones, some big boss will see the large R&D costs of producing the next Sony phones, but with only a very small portion share of the market, resuling in a quietly exit from the smart phone market for Sony.

Bye, Bye Sony, another ex-Sony customer

Learner
Message 159 of 165
Message 159 of 165

<snip>

Take my case to the Small Claims Court and never buy a Sony Phone ever again, or any other Sony Products. Lesson Learnt. Cost? don’t know, but I’m sure it will cost Sony more money than me.</snip>

This is what I'm considering have had a simlar experience.  Maybe wouldn't win the case but as you say it would cost Sony more than me and I think any costs would be worth it just to cause them some irritation.

One time poster
Message 160 of 165
Message 160 of 165

*Posted this also on Sony Mobile's Facebook page*

I feel so cheated. Sony has always been known for overpriced products and the Z3 has reminded me on why the company lags behind practically EVERY other manufacturer in mobile and various other home electronics. Their only true success this past decade or so has been the Playstation line.

I bought this phone back in 2014 when it first came out and, boy, do I regret it. Poor build quality. The glass on the back cracked after 2 weeks of ownership. I never dropped or mishandled it in any way! After contacting Sony's support about this, I was told that I needed to pony up for the entire cost of the repairs. After reading about tons of similar cases of "self-cracking" glass dating back to the first Z model, I decided to not go along with their crappy suggestion. This phone is premium in looks only. By looking at their mobile strategy and subsequent models these past 2 years, it's obvious Sony has no clue on how they can penetrate the market.

NEVER AGAIN will I buy a Sony product!

Buyer beware!