account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Want to know more about Xperia 5? To read more about it go here.
If you can't find the answer to your question there please post it here and let the community help you.

Xperia Z3 cracked screen

Enthusiast
Message 81 of 165
Message 81 of 165

Re: Xperia Z3 cracked screen

@MannyRamirez310 wrote:

How much did they charge you for a new screen replacement?

I got quotation of Rs.12000 INR (approx $200 USD) for Touch screen replacement only(LCD was not demaged so not included in this)

Enthusiast
Message 82 of 165
Message 82 of 165

Re: Xperia Z3 cracked screen

One of the Sony Xperia support staff (Richard) have claimed in this forum that they are using Corning Gorilla glass in Z3.

I would like to CHALLENGE him to provide any documented proof which says that Z3 is having Gorilla glass.

Please post a video which shows durability of front and back screen according to Gorilla glass standards.

(you must have done atleast some kind of stress/duriability/crash/impact testing for this)

@Rickard either provide supporting document for your claim or reply back with correction on your comments.

I am eagerly waiting for your response on this.

Following is the link -

https://talk.sonymobile.com/t5/Xperia-Z3-Compact/Which-brand-of-glass-is-on-Xperia-Z3-Compact/m-p/89...

@Rickard wrote:

We use a durable tempered glass on both the front and back of the phone. The front glass is either Gorilla or Dragontrail as we use both on this model. There's no way to make sure you get a certain glass but both glasses are among the best in the industry. For the back i'm afraid i don't have any information on the make.

On the Z3 we only use Gorilla for the display glass but as on Z3 Compact i don't have any information on the make of the tempered glass on the back.

Visitor
Message 83 of 165
Message 83 of 165

Re: Broken glass Xperia Z3

Hi,

I had purchased my Z3 last month, & yesterday when I pull it up from my front pocket I found an crack on back glass. Really disappointing, I was aware of glass cracking issue of Z3, despite of having all caution it finally brakes down.

This made me truly disappointed- I made the decision to change to Z3 from Apple because of this device only but this incidence proves me wrong. Overall performance of Z3 is quite impressive but in terms of build quality it seems to be a blunder. After having so much preventions, glass break automatically. (shocking).

We can expect more durability with a device having Gorilla glass. But in case of Z3... It doesn't seems to work.

Really things like this will push loyal customers away from the brand.

Customer perception about Sony will definitely hurts if this kind of things occurrs with their high end flagship device.

Request Sony to extend their support to replace the back glass.

Thanks.
One time poster
Message 84 of 165
Message 84 of 165

Re: Broken glass Xperia Z3

try 3 days old, never dropped or scratched. broke holdinig it in my hand, in the case.  Get out now!!! Tisk tisk Sony.  My insurance company is sending me another one which Im swapping out right away; that is if it doesn't arrive damaged from shipping.  ps, and it was a replacement for basically the same thing happening to my z1.  

Message 85 of 165
Message 85 of 165

Smashed screen on Z3

Unfortunately after 4 days of ownership my z3 which I loved smashed beyond belief after a fall from less than half a metre! I was absolutely surprised that the phone didn't survive as I changed from an iPhone 5 that had shrugged off much worse more often. Having sent off my phone to Sony's repair centre I was surprised to hear from Sony that they didn't warranty any physical damage to their phones! This means I've been left to pay over £100 to have it repaired. To say I'm disappointed in the build quality and response from Sony is an understatement.,

This has really caused me concern, because after its fixed will it smash again if dropped? What's your user experience? Is it worth sticking with the Z3 or shall I sell up and head back to Apple? After all my iPhone 5 has lasted two years of abuse and is going strong!
Message 86 of 165
Message 86 of 165

Re: Smashed screen on Z3

With all glass phones I recommend a sturdy case for them.Amazon UK have some good ones
Highlighted
Message 87 of 165
Message 87 of 165

I don't agree with using cases, if I buy a phone I expect it to be up to the job. I had my previous phone, an iphone 5 for two years, no screen protector or case and it lasted brilliantly. The Z3 lasted four days.. Bad times, I've lost so much confidence I think it's back to iphone..

Message 88 of 165
Message 88 of 165

The iPhone 5 is not an all glass phone though.You drop an iPhone on its back,it should be OK.You drop an iPhone on its front the glass will go.Seen that happen in real time on 3 occasions. With the phones being 4s 5 and a 6 which the owner had only had out of store for 2 hours.Guess what..None covered by warranty
Message 89 of 165
Message 89 of 165

You think Apple will fix a phone screen you broke by dropping it?
Good luck with that.

Moderators are not affiliated with, or work for Sony Mobile, and their posts represent their own opinions and views.
Click here to find out more about the different roles on the community.

Message 90 of 165
Message 90 of 165

@vindis that was my point exactly.But when you read quite a few of the dropped phone screen broke,a lot of the posters say never happened with iPhone.Was pointing out ,you drop an iPhone and break screen as far as Apple are concerned and any other smartphone maker.It is down to the user .I think negligence or misuse covers that