account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Curious about what is happening at IFA?
Read more and discuss the press conference here.

Xperia Z3 cracked screen

Regular
Message 121 of 165
Message 121 of 165

Re: Screen cracking for no known reason Z3

Responce to nr. Junior

Mr. Junior when I now choose to buy a phone, which I think is the best on the market, I do not expect that I should use, in addition to the 4,500 Danish kroner,
I originally paid for the phone, further 5-700 kroner to protect it. since it is apparently not built to survive normal use. let us agree that the phone is a
an appliance that everyone has. I suspect that your watch, you probably go with in daily life, does not break if you bump it into something. your mountain bike do not break if put it up against a tree and overturnes.

about z3. I have three days after I bought mine, got it repaired for what Sony calls (single crack) free of charge. since this phone apparently overheating during charging

and this, if there are tensions in the screen, causing a crack.
beyond that, I have had the pleasure to phone slipped out of my pocket during a meeting
I sat on a chair, and the phone hit the floor on the upper right corner. where Sony has chosen to install rubber bumpers to withstand falls. this resulted in the lower part of the screen looks like something that is beaten with a hammer. lcd screen works fine. but I can not get get any response from the phone. my mistake and I got it repaired. I have one and a half A4 page with parts that are changed on the phone. That was Two weeks ago, I got it back, and paid a bill of 2,700 Danish kroner for it.
then it happened again today. I lay on my sunbed and enjoyed the good weather. phone lay by my side, and there came a call. when I reach for the phone tipping it over the edge and down on the tiles. a drop of about 25-30 cm.
It succeds me again to destroy the screen on my phone. this time I manage to make a mark on the upper bumper. and the screen cracks crisscrossing the bottom

it should be mentioned that after the first repair I bought Sony's own cover to protect it. this cover is glued to the phone. so it would probably be a little bit protected?

I've had all the top models from Ericsson / Sony Ericsson / Sony. I switch phone about twice a year, just because I'm a big nerd.
ENGELSK
z1 has been ok. z2 survived two months with two repairs for singelcrack, and then returned. switched to z3.

I must admit that I never, after 25 years with the same brand, has started to look around for alternatives. the quality is too poor. it reminds me of when ericsson made t28.

8 out of 10 units came back for repair. This was devastating for the company, and was one of the main reasons for sony came into the picture. it or bankruptcy.

I would be upset if sony's mobile division would end up in the same situation. they have a brand that stands for inovation, best design, top of the top when it comes to hardware

but the consumer today is fierce. you do not get two chances. dont you make a decent product you're done. there are many others who are willing to make the attempt
Yours
Kent
Message 122 of 165
Message 122 of 165

Re: Xperia Z3 cracked screen

Reading this thread has seriously scared me, yet has made me realise how lucky I am?!
I bought my Z3 in September and I look after my things well...however this phone is like a magnet when it comes to sliding off/on surfaces of all textures.
I'm branded Sony, I've had Sony/SonyEricsson phones for 15yrs and I have NEVER had a phone drop, slide off a chair, bed, table etc as much as this one. Over 20 times I kid you not and it still works perfectly....gosh...I say that and just hope it lasts until I'm ready for my next one.
I had to start putting my phone face down to try and see if the "need for the phone to be at ground level" would change because when you put it on its coloured side it just starts moving...I bought a thick case but then I couldn't deal with the bulkiness of it so I've been case free and now I think after reading this I may be pushing my luck thinking this is some heavy duty phone...before reading all these problems I would've bet money it was stronger than every phone on the market, because the amount of times it has gone splat on my wooden floors *shakes head* not good!
I definitely agree that this phone the back (copper in my case/coloured side/non-screen side) is too smooth, it just slides off things too easily because of the material (there is no/not much friction?!).
I hope you (who have problems in the future) somehow get sorted by Sony because it is unlike any other premium Sony phone I've had in that respect (although I had the T before this and not the Z versions).

Visitor
Message 123 of 165
Message 123 of 165

11121590_10152977286817928_1204522879_n (1).jpg

Hi there,

I need help, because I live in Serbia and Sony doesnt have any customer service in my county so I need to find by myself someone to fix it and I foun it..It cost 170euro, but how do you know which display and glass is real?

I know that you can be part of scam and I can seek for varenty, but this country isnt that normal Slightly smiling Face

One time poster
Message 124 of 165
Message 124 of 165

I have had my Z3 for around 6 months, always in a protective case. I have never dropped it, scratched it or knocked it in any way at all. I put it in my pocket before getting a lift home a few days ago and when i got it out of the car i took it out of my pocket and it had a crack running across the screen which has made it unusable. I contacted SONY to see what they could do as I dont think that i should have to claim on my insurance for this as it was no fault of my own. They said send it to them to look at and if its covered under warrenty then they will fix it. Just had a quote back from them for £162.73! Apparently screens that break for no good reason are not covered under warrenty. I have written back to them to voice my issues but they have not got back to me. Also a kick in the teeth is that they want to charge me £22 just to send it back, I was not informed that they would be charging me for sending it back when i talked to them, they only said that they would send it back if it wasnt covered under warrenty! Sort it out Sony, I have never had an issue with any other phone i have owned until i bought a Sony Z3, I wish i had never got it. For all those who have not bought one i urge you not to buy a sony phone, they are terrible and there customer service is a con.

Matt

One time poster
Message 125 of 165
Message 125 of 165

My Z3 developed a hairline crack while it was in my loose pocket (coat pocket not jeans). No keys neither sharp objects there, in fact it was only the phone. I sent it back and it got repaired for free as it was within warranty. No issues there apart from my major disappointment as I couldn't believe how on earth it broke out of the blue, of course 2 weeks without phone was not fun as Sony hasn't got walk in customer service, not even in cities like London where I currently reside.

A few weeks down the line and as I was kneeling down to wash the wheels of my car the phone slipped from my side pocket and as a result the rear glass broke. It just broke from a 20cm drop! To say I was disappointed is an understatement but i was releived that it wasn't the front screen!

Anyway, I left it like that (obviously) as it didn't affect the funcionality, I wouldn't dare utilizing its "waterproof" capabilities though...However and after a few more weeks down the line the phone slipped from my back pocket but this time I wasn't that lucky. It smashed in pieces. Yes I know it was my fault as it was me dropping the phone but I just couldn't believe how fragile these are. I dropped it twice and it broke two times, two out of two! Apparently it's a design fault with the glass going over the frame (tenths of mm) and not being within it (and therefore protected). Well done Sony!

I sent it to Sony again and I was faced with a £155 repairing quote. I paid it (otherwise I'd have to pay £22 for them to send it back to me) but I'll sell it as soon as I receive it as I know that it will happen again...with no shadow of doubt.  

Samsung or even Apple is the way forward I'm afraid...

Highlighted
Rookie
Message 126 of 165
Message 126 of 165

Sony told me to fly from Tokyo to Australia to fix my self cracked Z3 :(

This is absolutley ridiculous.  The story:

I am spending 40 days in Japan.  3 hours before my flight I wake up and find a hairline crack from the lower speaker to the edge of screen in the front glass.  Most of the screen is unresponsive to touch making the 2 DAY OLD phone useless.  The phone was in a 23 degree room sitting on a pile of clothes.  It cracked totally by itself.

Of course I had zero time to get it replaced in Australia, I had to make my flight.  So now I am in Tokyo with a broken phone and I NEED a working phone.  I need to for communicating, translating, navigating and also for work (I am a web developer and make lots of mobile sites and NEED a test phone).  

I was prepared for Sony to pull the warranty card, I am totally prepared  to PAY to get it fixed (even though Sony broke my phone themselves by design).  But the thing I am most pissed off about is the fact that Sony in Ginza, right on their tax free floor where they enourage people to buy Sony products and take them overseas said that I must fly back to Australia to fix my Xperia Z3.  **bleep**???!! 

YOU FIX Z3'S THERE ALL THE TIME, WHY NOT MINE?..

Sony sells me a phone that breaks itself, then provies zero warrenty and then refeses to fix it even if I pay.  It seems spiteful and childish and what did I ever to do Sony?...

Thanks Sony, really great.  Awesome.  I have about 10 walkmans including the $1000 NWZ, I have the $700 HPA-1 AMP, $1000 MDR ex1000 headphones, a $2000 VAIO, a Sony 42inch LCD not to mention every PlayStation and handheld ever created.  I have given Sony about 20K.  Yet the ONE time I need them to provide me with a product that works they treat me like this...

I have created a case with the ACCC already for when you refuese to fix it under warranty in Australia if it comes to that and I have registered two sony xperia domain names ready to create sites to go to PR war with you (as I said I am a web developer and great at what I do).  But preferably I would like you to DO THE RIGHT THING and just fix my phone which broke itself so I can go back to enjoying my working holiday with my EXPENSIVE phone.

Emperor
Message 127 of 165
Message 127 of 165

Re: Sony told me to fly from Tokyo to Australia to fix my self cracked Z3 :(

@kidshibuya

I'm sorry to hear that but there's no international warranty and there's no self cracking screens. You can post a picture of the screen and most likely users can tell you were is the point of impact. 

Did you purchased the phone in Australia? 

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

Rookie
Message 128 of 165
Message 128 of 165

Bull there isnt.  Sony offered to fix them for free with earlier models which is an admission of guilt and I know for a fact that my phone didnt magically have some adventure during the time between me putting it on top to my clothes in my luggage and me picking it up in the morning.  IT DIDNT MOVE.

And that is beside the point.   I am not talking about internal warranty, read what I wrote not what you wish to hear. The major point is that Sony refuesed to fix their own broken phone peroid.  They flat out refused to fix it at any cost and said it can not be done anywhere in the world but where I bought it from.  So because I chose SONY I have to cut my vacation/work short or buy another phone. How you going to defend that?

The very clear message is that anyone who ever gets on a plane should steer well clear of anything Sony.  Take it from them not me.

Rookie
Message 129 of 165
Message 129 of 165

Z3 with self cracked screen:

z3.jpg

Emperor
Message 130 of 165
Message 130 of 165

@kidshibuya

Again, I understand your frustration but I'm just trying to help here, with that said, warranty it's only available in the country were it was purchased, as far as you paying out of your pocket to fix it, that's a different situation but what if you contact Sony directly, perhaps you can talk to a general supervisor. 

http://support.sonymobile.com/global-en/contactUs/

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)