account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Troubleshoot, find support articles, run tests directly on your phone with the support application.
Read more and discuss the app here.

Wifi Signal dropping

SOLVED
Highlighted
Apprentice
Message 1 of 9
Message 1 of 9

Wifi Signal dropping

Hi! new member here!

I have owned my Sony Xperia Z3 for a year and a month. On Saturday night i was at my parents house and suddenly my phone disconnected from wifi. I reconnected it however a minuite later it disconnected again. This process repeated throughout the following day, connecting for a few seconds and then disconnecting. Thinking Face at the time i blamed this on my parents old router and took no more thought to it.

When i got back home to my fast virgin media wifi. The phone would still not work and had the same problem..

I watched the icon on the status bar of my phone closely and noticed that the signal would be sent for 5ish seconds. But no signal was received, resulting in the wifi disconnecting.

in the odd time or two it would not re-connect. i switched on the wifi on my phone and this brought up no close routers.. when i was sitting besides it. normally the phone would pick up mine and 10 other neigbours signal?

• I have tried forgetting the router, switching it off and on, then re entering my password.
  • I have tried safe mode on my phone.
  • I have tried restarting multiple times.
  • I have tried using multiple routers.

The Problem still occurs. Angry Face

please help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Sony Xperia Support
Message 2 of 9
Message 2 of 9

Re: Wifi Signal dropping

Hi @whywontitwork,

Welcome to the community.

You've done most of the troubleshooting I would advise so based on that I would recommend running a software repair next.

Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums, make sure that you've read our Discussion guidelines.

To get in touch with your local support team, please visit our contact page.

8 REPLIES 8
Sony Xperia Support
Message 2 of 9
Message 2 of 9

Hi @whywontitwork,

Welcome to the community.

You've done most of the troubleshooting I would advise so based on that I would recommend running a software repair next.

Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums, make sure that you've read our Discussion guidelines.

To get in touch with your local support team, please visit our contact page.

Apprentice
Message 3 of 9
Message 3 of 9

When I'm plugged in and charging my phone the connection is absolutely perfect? I'll have a look at the software repair. Thankyou
Apprentice
Message 4 of 9
Message 4 of 9

hello.

how did you solve your problem. I have same problem. After the 6.0 update, my wi-fi connection is losing suddenly for a few second. especially my device is in sleep mode, the connection is lost. 

Commissioner
Message 5 of 9
Message 5 of 9

Is there anything what we can do to hold wifi connection even in doze mode? in WLAN setting "keep wifi alive in standby" is active...

Greetings,

SirRobin
Apprentice
Message 6 of 9
Message 6 of 9

Nope, ive tried all the troubleshooting and fourums. Recently I contacted my contract provider and they're going to take my phone and repair it (hopefully) ill update you when the phone has returned

Apprentice
Message 7 of 9
Message 7 of 9

i sent my phone off and ive had a brand new phone free of charge, they couldnt fix my fault, im not complaining though as my old z3 was looking a little rough around the edges!

One time poster
Message 8 of 9
Message 8 of 9

Hi,

I think I have been experiencing exactly the same problem. None of these solutions you tried worked for me either! My laptop connects fine via Wi-Fi, but my Z3 Compact reacts pretty similarly to how you described. I am guessing the Android 6.0.1 update was not that recent, but experiencing this since yesterday!  

What happens, in the space of about 5 seconds, is:

1) phone searches for wi-fi networks
2) finds and connects to my home wi-fi network
3) says "connected, no internet"
4) disconnects and disappears from list of available networks
5) return to step 1...

Sometimes, I might get 2 seconds of internet between step 2 and 3 (proof that internet does work!), but it almost immediately disconnects.

What I have tried so far, but none of which have worked:

1) Soft reboot of both router (ZTE Livebox FTTH v2) and phone.
2) Factory reset of both router and phone
3) Static IP settings for phone 
4) Safe mode in phone
5) Wifi Fixer
6) Desyncing and resyncing router and phone location times

Anything that I may have missed here? Or is this possibly a hardware fault? I unfortunately don't have the option (I don't think) of sending it back to Sony for repair or replacement. Would greatly appreciate your help in diagnosing this!

Apprentice
Message 9 of 9
Message 9 of 9

I tried all the different methods to make the phone work, booting in safe mode, resetting the phone etc.. nothing worked there was one odd time for an hour when it worked fine but nothing was working. I contacted my mobile phone contract provider (Virgin Media). Within their contract is a basic insurance against internal phone problems. i sent my phone off to them, and after a week of them trying to fix it i got sent a factory refurbished sony experia z3.. Basicaly a new phone with 6 months complete warranty. Theyt couldnt fix my phone but i was happy with the service i was given!

Currently looking for my next phone now as my contract finished in March and i was gunna keep my sony, however i dropped it at work and the top half of the screen is cracked and unresponsive (sigh) looking at the new XZ phone but unsure if i want to pay that much for a marginally better phone to my z3+