account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Troubleshoot, find support articles, run tests with the support app directly on your phone.
Read more and discuss the app here.

When will the z3 no longer be supported by Android?

One time poster
Message 1 of 2
Message 1 of 2

When will the z3 no longer be supported by Android?

Hi, I’m thinking of buying another z3 but am unsure whether it will be worth it as I use online apps. Looking on the android website I can’t find out when marshmallow will stop working with other apps. Cheers

1 REPLY 1
Sony Xperia Support
Message 2 of 2
Message 2 of 2

Re: When will the z3 no longer be supported by Android?

Hi @Saymillusion, welcome to our forum and I'm glad to hear that you are interested in another Xperia Z3! Slightly smiling Face

This will be very hard to answer as the only thing that I can think of is when Android market was discontinued and that as far as I can remember, only affected Android 1.6/2.1 devices as the Android market was not updated to Google Play store for these devices.

In general it's the developers of the application that has to increase the supported Android version for certain applications due to security or other changes. In the region where I'm situated (the Nordics) we have an application called BankID that is used to verify your identity when using your bank and so forth and last summer they made changes to the application so you needed at least Android 5.0 to be able to use the application.

Keep in mind that our support may also expire for the device and at some point, there won't be any software available, spare parts won't be available at the service centres and so forth.

I hope that helps a bit! Slightly smiling Face

Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums, make sure that you've read our Discussion guidelines.

To get in touch with your local support team, please visit our contact page.