account arrowhead-up cart mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-down

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to use keypad while making calls

Highlighted
Learner
Message 1 of 8
Message 1 of 8

Unable to use keypad while making calls

With the latest version of software, I am unable to use keypad while making calls. Screen locks Xperia Z3
7 REPLIES
Sony Xperia Support
Message 2 of 8
Message 2 of 8

Re: Unable to use keypad while making calls

Hi @sbfawkes, welcome to our forum!

I'm sorry to hear about that. sad

The screen should be turned on when you take the phone down from your ear because the proximity sensor no is longer covered, is that working correctly for you or is the screen still turned off and that is why you can't use the dial pad if you for example, needs to enter "1#" to make a choice in the call to talk to another department or similar?

Or is the screen turned on but the phone is locked with your screen lock and you can't unlock it during the call?

I'd recommend that you try rebooting your phone in safe mode to make sure that a downloaded application isn't the cause of this.

I'm sorry if I misunderstood your question!

- Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums make sure that you have read our Discussion guidelines.
If you want to get in touch with the local support team for your country please visit our contact page.

Learner
Message 3 of 8
Message 3 of 8

The screen is off and I can't turn it on until the line is dropped from the other side
Sony Xperia Support
Message 4 of 8
Message 4 of 8

Thanks for the swift reply! smile happy

There is a sensor called proximity sensor that is placed at the top part of your phone, just to the left of the Sony logo (number 4 on the picture below). When this sensor is covered by something during a call for example your ear, the screen will be turned off. This is to make sure that you accidentally do not end the call with your chin, and when taking the phone down from the ear the screen will be turned on.

Was there any change when the phone was rebooted in safe mode?

If you experienced the same behaviour in safe mode, do you have a screen protector that is covering this sensor, or is there any dirt/moisture on the sensor? If there is, try wiping it clean with a cloth and run the diagnostics test in the phone, which you can find in Settings > About phone > Diagnostics > Test > Ear proximity.

Let me know how it goes!

If you're new to our forums make sure that you have read our Discussion guidelines.
If you want to get in touch with the local support team for your country please visit our contact page.

Learner
Message 5 of 8
Message 5 of 8

Thanks, it worked in safe mode, I did have a ghost buster theme applied in normal mode. Will reactivate it and see if it happens again. I do have a screen protector that is slightly covering the sensor, it does need to be replaced though but it has been like that for a while. The problem only started after the update.
Sony Xperia Support
Message 6 of 8
Message 6 of 8

Thanks for getting back to me!

If it works in safe mode, make sure that all your applications are updated to the latest version, you might have an application installed that needs to be updated so it's compatible with the latest software version.

Let me know how it works after you reactivated the theme or if you found out which app is the cause!

One time poster
Message 7 of 8
Message 7 of 8

I have the same problem sad even in safe mode when I move the phone away from my ear the screen stay locked. Proximity sensor stays On for no reason. I don't have screen protector at all
Ps: sorry for my english
Sony Xperia Support
Message 8 of 8
Message 8 of 8

Hi @IvanBG,

Sorry to hear about that. sad

I can see that you have an Xperia Z3 registered on your account, is that the phone you are experiencing this behaviour with?

Since it's not working in safe mode, I would recommend that you perform a software repair using Xperia Companion.

This will delete all the data stored on your internal storage, so creating a backup using Xperia Companion before starting with the repair is important.

If there is no change after the software repair has been completed, your phone will need to be examined by a trained technician at an authorized service centre.

Your Local support team will assist you with this and answer all questions that you may have regarding warranty, service routines, consumer laws and so forth.

Keep me posted!