account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Troubleshoot, find support articles, run tests directly on your phone with the support application.
Read more and discuss the app here.

UK Play Store Slow WIFI Downloads on Z3

SOLVED
Highlighted
Apprentice
Message 1 of 6
Message 1 of 6

UK Play Store Slow WIFI Downloads on Z3

Hello Waving Hand

Im currently having issue's with download speeds using WiFi on my Z3, at first i thought it was the phone, but it seems to be localised to downloading from the Play Store. 16 hours to download 2gb. Switched to 4G and done in 20 mins.

I have searched the net looking for solutions, the best I can muster up is, it's a DNS problem with Google services and will improve if I change to Google's public DNS settings.

Question 1: How can I change them on the Z3?

Question 2: Could it be anything else?

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Sony Xperia Support
Message 6 of 6
Message 6 of 6

Re: UK Play Store Slow WIFI Downloads on Z3

Glad to hear that it works now.
Hard to say for sure but as it has fixed itself i think it sounds like something on the ISPs end.

sony_sign_logo.png - Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums make sure that you have read our Discussion guidelines.
If you want to get in touch with the local support team for your country please visit our contact page.

5 REPLIES 5
Forum Legend
Message 2 of 6
Message 2 of 6

Could it have been the time of day and our great ISP's implementing traffic management or it could just be a simple case of your router needing a reboot

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.   Richard P. Feynman

Apprentice
Message 3 of 6
Message 3 of 6

Admittedly my router is pretty rubbish. I've rebooted and reset it to factory default. Still no joy, annoyingly I can't gain access to its settings via its ip address or login details to change its Dns. 

Everything else is super fast via WiFi like Web browsing etc, it's just downloading off Play Store. Though I could change the DNS on the phone to try if that remedies my problem.

I'm at someone's house so I'll try their WiFi and see if it is a new router that will be needed.

Apprentice
Message 4 of 6
Message 4 of 6

Sadly the same thing is happening here also. 15 minutes to download 50mb file. 40 seconds on 4g. 

I've done a speed test via an app and it showed 12 mbps download speed.

Apprentice
Message 5 of 6
Message 5 of 6

So far I've forwarded the ports to my device to 5288 for play store and also changed the DNS settings via telnet on my router.

Went to bed last night with it downloading a 2gb file at 50kbps. Woke up this morning it had finished the download and when I downloaded something else it had sorted itself out and now downloaded at file at 1.5mbps.

Not quite sure the exact reason maybe the above sorted it out our my isp is throttling my bandwidth for Google services?

Sony Xperia Support
Message 6 of 6
Message 6 of 6

Glad to hear that it works now.
Hard to say for sure but as it has fixed itself i think it sounds like something on the ISPs end.

sony_sign_logo.png - Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums make sure that you have read our Discussion guidelines.
If you want to get in touch with the local support team for your country please visit our contact page.