account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

If you want to get the max out of your Xperia phone then check out Xperia tips page.

T-Mobile Xperia Z3 (D6616) - Future Development and Support - Marshmallow, WiFI LTE handoff, etc

SOLVED
Emperor
Message 21 of 53
Message 21 of 53

Re: T-Mobile Xperia Z3 (D6616) - Future Development and Support - Marshmallow, WiFI LTE handoff, etc

@gee_wiz

Flashing its quite simple 

https://talk.sonymobile.com/t5/Xperia-Z2/How-to-manually-update-downgrade-root-2014-Xperias/td-p/593...

with  that said since you have a T-mobile version it seems that it will brick the device, you can check the XDA Forum on more info about flashing, as for Sony releasing more updates to a network branded device when T-mobile EOL a device seems unlikely, its probably a contract preventing them from doing so. 

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

Apprentice
Message 22 of 53
Message 22 of 53

Re: T-Mobile Xperia Z3 (D6616) - Future Development and Support - Marshmallow, WiFI LTE handoff, etc

Yea, haven't found any straightforward info on flashing the D6616..

So options as of now appear to be; Sell, hope someone changes their mind and a android 6 ota becomes available, find some way to root/flash the D6616, or live with 5.02.

All of which are horrible options for someone who bought a $600 obsolete device just a yr into its life cycle.

Wamp, Wamp.
Sony Xperia Support
Message 23 of 53
Message 23 of 53

I'm sorry to hear that you feel your question is not answered but as mentioned before and as stated in our announcement, timing and availability will vary by market and/or operator.

I'm not able to provide you with information regarding when or if the Android 6.0 update will be released for your market and operator. If there's any information available about this at the moment, your Local support and/or operator will have the information.

sony_sign_logo.png - Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums make sure that you have read our Discussion guidelines.
If you want to get in touch with the local support team for your country please visit our contact page.

View solution in original post

Rookie
Message 24 of 53
Message 24 of 53

That was quite a non answer.
Emperor
Message 25 of 53
Message 25 of 53

@Doctorbob49

It is an answer but not what you were expecting

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

Rookie
Message 26 of 53
Message 26 of 53

Now that is a true statement!
Learner
Message 27 of 53
Message 27 of 53

Hmm. Don't even know what to do anymore. Look I understand what you guys are saying and I appreciate. I don't wanna ask again whether or when there will be a marshmallow update for Xperia Z3 D6116. But I'm really hoping Sony rethinks in anyway a procedure or something to help Z3 D6616 get marshmallow. We would be very happy if that happens. Either than that then it will look like I'm holding a Sony device but in reality the device shadow is t mobile. I'm not pushing anyone or pointing fingers at any one but I'm just hoping Sony rethinks and help Sony lovers. Thanks Guys
Rookie
Message 28 of 53
Message 28 of 53

I hear you. I am afraid t mobile feels the Z3 has reached EOL. Glad the phone working OK. Came back to this phone from Moto X Pure with Marshmallow and Z3 battery life much better
Learner
Message 29 of 53
Message 29 of 53

Alright I appreciate. Just let us know if there are any procedures or something like flashing it with D6116 firmware which comes with unlockable bootloader or anything which might help us install custom rom. Thanks again
Learner
Message 30 of 53
Message 30 of 53

Hi Guys, I'm really not sure if this is just a rumor or not, I heard today t mobile is planning to release marshmallow 6.1 for Sony Xperia Z5, Z5 Premium, Z5 Compact, Z4 Tablet, Z3, and Z3+ soon. Notably interested in z3 since I'm a z3 user. Just hoping if is really true. Let us know if there are any news. Thanks for your support I really appreciate.