account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Want to know more about Xperia 5? To read more about it go here.
If you can't find the answer to your question there please post it here and let the community help you.

T-Mobile Xperia Z3 (D6616) - Future Development and Support - Marshmallow, WiFI LTE handoff, etc

SOLVED
Message 41 of 53
Message 41 of 53

Re: T-Mobile Xperia Z3 (D6616) - Future Development and Support - Marshmallow, WiFI LTE handoff, etc

@YoGem wrote:
Although you are right about not buying carrier locked devices, it's not necessary to unlock the bootloader to flash a different customization version, say, the carrier free one.

Unlocking the bootloader is for other purposes.

I would beg to differ...the MANY folks at xda have tried unsuccessfully to flash a customized ROM to the D6616. The one stumbling block has been the bootloader issue. If that's incorrect, I don't have the expertise to comment ... it's frustrating to know that every other Z3 has MM available. 

Message 42 of 53

Well, Xperia Z3c locked and customized for Movistar Mexic...

Well, Xperia Z3c locked and customized for Movistar Mexico. I got tired of the bloatware included and the messages they were pushing thru an app that it was impossible to Uninstall. I did flash a generic US version. Notice that the bootloader cannot be even unlocked.
sketch-1470009868762.png

» If you find that an answer helped, say thanks and give kudos Slightly smiling Face

Wizardry is the key!
Message 43 of 53
Message 43 of 53

Re: Well, Xperia Z3c locked and customized for Movistar Mexic...

YoGem

oooh...how did you do that? You can send me a message to keep this thread clear.

Thanks!

Message 44 of 53

Re: T-Mobile Xperia Z3 (D6616) - Future Development and Support - Marshmallow, WiFI LTE handoff, etc

@Kevlar_heart I just used xperifirm to get the image and using flashtool to flash it. No need of big threads or private messages... XDA is full of tutorials!!!

» If you find that an answer helped, say thanks and give kudos Slightly smiling Face

Wizardry is the key!
Message 45 of 53
Message 45 of 53

@YoGem wrote:
@kevlar_heart I just used xperifirm to get the image and using flashtool to flash it. No need of big threads or private messages... XDA is full of tutorials!!!

So you're able to flash an upgradeable ROM to the D6616? I've read pretty much the entire D6616 thread on xda and haven't seen a successful  upegradeable ROM available...mostly people complaining that they CAN'T upgrade the D6616 to MM

Message 46 of 53

Both TMO and Sony should be ashamed for their treatment of D6616 owners. Face it, the phone was orphaned as soon as TMO pulled it from sales. Customers were thrown a bone with an update to Lollipop, albeit a version 5.0.2 which was not the final release of the OS. My D6616 is a backup phone purchased at an extreme discount precisely because neither TMO nor Sony will directly address customer concerns. For those who shelled out $600+ for the TMO branded phone, you are getting shabby treatment to say the least.

For TMO apologists, the carrier and the carrier alone certifies functionality, given the various bells and whistles TMO added to the device (VoLTE, WiFi calling to name a couple). Sony is not innocent here as they could and SHOULD provide a way to migrate the phone away from the TMO variant to the International version D6603. Neither party has an incentive to providing support because the handset is already reached the end of the product cycle (not life cyle....but product marketing). The Z3 is yesterday's news.

You know what would be refreshing? A simple statement that NO FURTHER OS UPDATES for the D6616 will be issued. The handset is already 2+ years in the market, so maybe it's about time both parties own up to the obvious.

The lesson to be learned here is that unless you're getting an iPhone or a Samsung, don't count on carriers to provide support through the EOL for the product. I brought another Sony to TMO when I switched, the Z3 Compact (D5803). I knew from the beginning that aside from service, I would not have certain TMO-specific  capabilities. That's a small trade off compared to having the device ignored when the carrier/handset mfr relationship sours.

Sorry for the rant, but reading the various threads on TMO and Sony Community pages is mind-numbing in the non-statements offered about the status of the D6616.

Message 47 of 53

I also have a T-Mobile Xperia Z3 and want the bootloader unlocked and/or a Marshmallow update.  At this point, either will do.  This phone debuted on T-Mobile less than 2 years ago (despite the original Z3 coming out earlier), yet it's getting abandoned.  Please Sony, give us some options.

Genius
Message 48 of 53
Message 48 of 53

Now that is weird, I know many people did the same I did and I am no genius, just read a guide on XDA on how to do it and... Here it is, my Z3c has marshmallow bloatware-free. Try something, download xperifirm and flashtool, download the right firmware try to flash it. It won't hurt ad it will likely fail if something goes wrong.

Wizardry is the key!
Message 49 of 53
Message 49 of 53

@YoGem wrote:
Now that is weird, I know many people did the same I did and I am no genius, just read a guide on XDA on how to do it and... Here it is, my Z3c has marshmallow bloatware-free. Try something, download xperifirm and flashtool, download the right firmware try to flash it. It won't hurt ad it will likely fail if something goes wrong.

Yeah, the Z3C can be flashed. If you've successfully flashed a Z3 (D6616), you'd be the first I've heard :smileysmileythumbsup:

Message 50 of 53
Message 50 of 53

This is what I get when trying to flash any Marshmallow ROM from D6646 or D6603, using Flashtool 9.19.22.3 on Windows 10 64bit. Tried No and Yes for FSC Script and tried with fwinfo being bundled in the FTF and without.

06/049/2016 06:49:56 - INFO - Processing partition.sin
06/049/2016 06:49:56 - INFO - Checking header
06/049/2016 06:49:56 - ERROR - Processing of partition.sin finished with errors.
06/049/2016 06:49:56 - INFO - Ending flash session
06/049/2016 06:49:56 - ERROR -
06/049/2016 06:49:56 - ERROR - Error flashing. Aborted