account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Troubleshoot, find support articles, run tests directly on your phone with the support application.
Read more and discuss the app here.

T-Mobile Xperia Z3 (D6616) - Future Development and Support - Marshmallow, WiFI LTE handoff, etc

SOLVED
Learner
Message 31 of 53
Message 31 of 53

Re: T-Mobile Xperia Z3 (D6616) - Future Development and Support - Marshmallow, WiFI LTE handoff, etc

Sorry point of correction. Notably 6.1 marshmallow for z3 series
One time poster
Message 32 of 53
Message 32 of 53

Re: T-Mobile Xperia Z3 (D6616) - Future Development and Support - Marshmallow, WiFI LTE handoff, etc

I bought this Xperia Z3 as a replacement phone. Thinking i would still get quality and up todate software i was finally excited about leaving Samsung. Now to find out that i dont have the lastest software is very displeasing. I dont understand if its an issue with T-mobile or the fact that i didnt buy the phone from them. However if this can not be fixed i will be forced to go back to Samsung.

Visitor
Message 33 of 53
Message 33 of 53

Can you please make one thing very clear. Has the marshmallow update been sent to T-Mobile at all in any capacity (regardless of market within the USA)?

One time poster
Message 34 of 53
Message 34 of 53

Still no Marshmallow update. This is so ridiculous. I'll never buy another Sony product again.
Manufacturers need to work with carriers to fulfill a worthwhile experience during the product's life cycle (average at least two years) before selling and deceiving the public with a product like this.

Highlighted
Adviser
Message 35 of 53
Message 35 of 53

Absolutely, 100% agree. I'm done with Sony after this. $600 to waste.
One time poster
Message 36 of 53
Message 36 of 53

Add me to the list of disappointed customers with the T-mo Z3. Unfortunately there's really no recourse for us other than voting with our wallets. I'll never buy a Sony phone again, that's for sure.

No Marshmallow, no monthly security updates, no thanks Sony.
Adept
Message 37 of 53
Message 37 of 53

after cracked of back glass I sold my xperia z3 6603 after that I bought 6616 but again back glass cracked in my pocket. regarding software there is no official announcement of marshmellow on 6616. I think its T mobile. carrier problem not from sony. one thing is confirmed that the material of xperia z3 is mediocre. 

Message 38 of 53
Message 38 of 53

I spoke to a T-Mobile rep today. As far as they are concerned the Z3 is a dead issue. About the only recourse one has is to root the phone and use one of the stable Marshmallow releases on xda. One thing to consider is that the Lollipop build still includes Stamina Mode and home screen rotation...issues that have lit up these Boards since MM was released.

Do I wish Sony would step up and provide a release for the D6616? Yeah...it would be great, but I won't hold my breath

UPDATE: I should really say "Do I wish T-Mobile would support a $600.00 handset it sold?" I knew when I purchased the device (as a backup) that it would be "stuck" as far as OS upgrades are concerned. That's why this model is heavily discounted.

UPDATE2: Further research shows that no one at xda has been able to root the D6616 to any degree of usability. It's a shame..it's a great handset. Lest anyone think that Sny is alone in abandoning a carrier-specific variant, I bought a Samsung Infuse and charging dock from AT&T (looks JUST like the Z3 would years later). AT&T abandoned it 3 months after purchase at Android 2.3. I ended up using it as a very expensive desk clock

Message 39 of 53

From xda

Without an unlocked bootloader, there's not really much to be done. You're at T-Mobile's mercy for updates. You cannot install a ROM for any other variant than the D6616. There is a check that happens in the bootloader when you turn the device on. If a non-D6616 formal ware is detected, it will refuse to boot until it detects the correct one. This is easily bypassed with an unlocked bootloader, which is not available for the T-Mobile variant.

In short, yes, D6616 owners are indeed <deleted> Don't buy carrier models whenever possible.

Further in the discussion was a statement (unverified) "By the way, Des from the product team at T-Mobile said that Sony dropped Dev support for the T-Mobile Xperia Z3... How lovely..."

So that's just about it folks.....Clown Face

Message 40 of 53

Although you are right about not buying carrier locked devices, it's not necessary to unlock the bootloader to flash a different customization version, say, the carrier free one.

Unlocking the bootloader is for other purposes.

» If you find that an answer helped, say thanks and give kudos Slightly smiling Face

Wizardry is the key!