account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Troubleshoot, find support articles, run tests with the support app directly on your phone.
Read more and discuss the app here.

T-Mobile Xperia Z3 (D6616) - Future Development and Support - Marshmallow, WiFI LTE handoff, etc

SOLVED
Emperor
Message 11 of 53
Message 11 of 53

Re: T-Mobile Xperia Z3 (D6616) - Future Development and Support - Marshmallow, WiFI LTE handoff, etc

@s1dest3p

I'm sorry you feel that way, I believe the information I'm posting its releveant to this post also, a reminder, this is a user based forum, if you want an official statement you have to contact Sony directly, this is the user based support forum. 

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

Sony Xperia Support
Message 12 of 53
Message 12 of 53

Re: T-Mobile Xperia Z3 (D6616) - Future Development and Support - Marshmallow, WiFI LTE handoff, etc

Hi s1dest3p,

Welcome to the community,

I can advise that the information supplied Uliwooly is correct, the network carrier decides if this update will be released for the devices they release to the consumer.

This is a user driven forum, for specific information relating to a specific market, you must speak with the Sony Mobile Customer Care within your region, I am unsure as to why they would send you here for the this answer.

Also please keep in mind the Discussion guidelines when speaking to other users of this forum.

Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums, make sure that you've read our Discussion guidelines.

To get in touch with your local support team, please visit our contact page.

Adviser
Message 13 of 53
Message 13 of 53

Discussion guidelines? I did nothing against the guidelines and for you to even bring that up is just poor customer service.

You are Support staff and can't answer my question or relay it to the appropriate team/department? That's less than helpful.

T-Mobile referred me to Sony. Sony makes the software. Sony has to offer updates to T-Mobile before T-Mobile can approve. What you two are suggesting is backwards, but ok. 

If you can't offer any substantive assistance, I don't know why you feel inclined to reply.

Sony is going to lose my business.

Emperor
Message 14 of 53
Message 14 of 53

@s1dest3p

Perhaps you should check both links, my link on the software update process

and then @Jake-SonyXperiaSupport 's link on forum guidelines

here is additional information directly from T-mobile

Stage 1: T-Mobile and the device manufacturer have agreed to support a new software update. (Check)

Stage 2: During this stage the device will go through T-Mobile certification process testing to make sure you get the best quality software possible. (hasn't been released but then again, carriers might get earlier development testing

Stage 3: The software has been approved to launch and is now available.

What T-mobile doesn't explain here is that if they, the network, consider that the device is at EOL (end of life) they will no longer release updates, an example of an Xperia was the Xperia X10 with AT&T, although Android 2.3 was released on other networks and global versions, AT&T opt out of the update as they EOL the device and they didn't wanted to spend resources, adding their bloatware and customizations, testing and releasing the update.

It's not new that a network won't like to say things how they are, think about it, why would they jeopardize their current customers by telling them, we are considering releasing or not marshmallow to your device even if Sony release the update we, T-mobile, might opt out, it will upset all those customers and they might even lose them. 

As for the other implementations, those are network dependant, and as of right now T-mobile is giving preferance to their other devices. 

Wi-Fi calling support on T-mobile

https://support.t-mobile.com/community/coverage/wifi-calling

supported devices

http://www.t-mobile.com/cell-phones/wi-fi-calling.html

Again, that's up to the network to decide which phones will support this and when.

Additional infor on Forum Guidelines

Respect is the Key
Respect is the name of the game. You must respect your fellow members. Please refrain from inflammatory and defamatory comments as well as flaming, taunting and general disrespect. Do not simply put down the opinion or advice given by others. If you don't agree with it, say why - respectfully. Don't just tell them they're wrong. Do not make uninvited remarks about typos, duplicate posts, posting styles, etc. This is not the place to aggressively pursue attacks and accusations on one's chosen style or background. We all have different opinions and different backgrounds. 

When an opinion based discussion is being had, do not state things like "there is no argument" as if your opinion is the only one or the only one that matters. When someone has clearly stated their opinion, do not say things like "Are you serious?" and "Are you kidding me?" Remember, this is not a debate club. This is a friendly discussion community. Allow people to have their opinion. No one is to act as some sort of opinion judge, responding to each one to say whether they agree with it or not or whether or not it is a valid, well thought out opinion. 

We do not allow threads to be started to discuss who or what is the most overrated, who or what is your least favorite, etc. As this is an English speaking community, we require that posted content be in the English language, so that it can be well received and properly monitored. 
Vulgar language and inappropriate material is not allowed and will be removed. Abbreviations, self censoring and attempts to circumvent the word censoring feature of the community software also violate this guideline. If your post contains a word that is censored by the software, you must remove that word or the post will be removed. If you feel that the censor is acting in error, please contact us. 

We try to maintain a family friendly atmosphere whenever it is possible within the main subject matter of this community. Please keep this in mind when participating. 

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

Commissioner
Message 15 of 53
Message 15 of 53

@s1dest3p gosh, just flash your phone as many people have done, do and will with non-carrier version...

:loop; start "" %0; goto loop
emk
Adept
Message 16 of 53
Message 16 of 53

@uliwooly, thanks for helping all those members
Highlighted
Emperor
Message 17 of 53
Message 17 of 53

@emk

I like helping people Slightly smiling Face 

Adviser
Message 18 of 53
Message 18 of 53

Just because you reply doesn't mean it's helpful.

Look at the official responses from T-Mobile Product lead.

Emperor
Message 19 of 53
Message 19 of 53

@s1dest3p

Well it seems that you are ignoring all posts not just mine but others, even from a Sony moderator, and now you are posting links to a twitter account from some tech guy, I don't  understand how is that an official T-mobile USA statement? 

But if my response its correct, it is helpful but you are entitled to your opinion but do read the forum guidelines once more.

Contact T-mobile through live chat and copy paste their reply here

https://support.t-mobile.com/community/contact-us

Apprentice
Message 20 of 53
Message 20 of 53

Thanx for pointing out the links on the update process. As a D6616 user I understand s1dest's concerns. Both the manufacturer and the carrier keep pointing the finger at one another as being responsible for the update. US consumers are stuck in the middle with no definitive answer.

I think the response from the des tmo guy coupled with some responses here lay out what could be our reality...

Sony will make software for Z3 device, itll probably be available to tmo to update their carrier branded phones, but it's up to tmo to devote resources to add their bloat/features to the device.

Tmo isn't selling the Z3 or any Sony device so they are less than inclined to spend resources on developing an update for the D6616.

Us tmo branded Z3 owners are on our own it appears. Sell your device asap or learn to flash your device.

The cool thing for Sony to do is release an ota to the D6616 that updates it to Android 6.0 sans tmo branded features. I.E. The Sony concept version avail for some of the unlocked Z3's.

Is this possible? Will we loose band 12? With WiFi calling being part of Android 6, there's one less thing to worry about. What would stop Sony from making the concept available as an Ota to D6616 owners?