account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Troubleshoot, find support articles, run tests directly on your phone with the support application.
Read more and discuss the app here.

T-Mobile Xperia Z3 (D6616) - Future Development and Support - Marshmallow, WiFI LTE handoff, etc

SOLVED
Adviser
Message 3 of 53
Message 3 of 53

T-Mobile Xperia Z3 (D6616) - Future Development and Support - Marshmallow, WiFI LTE handoff, etc

Sony Mobile announces that the Z3 will get Android Marshmallow, but yet T-Mobile is not aware and the support page for the T-Mobile Z3 (http://support.sonymobile.com/us/xperiaz3tmobile/software/) doesn't reflect such like the regular Z3 does (http://support.sonymobile.com/us/xperiaz3/software/). This is very concerning to us Sony and T-Mobile customers that spent a lot of money on a great phone; we're worried we're being forgotten or left out. Maybe sales weren't high for the T-Mobile Z3, but what about us that were loyal to Sony and spent hundreds of dollars on the Z3 - don't we deserve the latest and greatest updates, like Marshmallow, Concept for Android, WiFi Calling to LTE hand-off, etc?

Please give us some reassurance that you are still committed to your T-Mobile customer base and that we'll be receiving Marshmallow and possibly other updates I mentioned above around the same time that the regular Z3 is.

I'd really appreciate your response and hopefully confirmation. Thank you in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Sony Xperia Support
Message 23 of 53
Message 23 of 53

Re: T-Mobile Xperia Z3 (D6616) - Future Development and Support - Marshmallow, WiFI LTE handoff, etc

I'm sorry to hear that you feel your question is not answered but as mentioned before and as stated in our announcement, timing and availability will vary by market and/or operator.

I'm not able to provide you with information regarding when or if the Android 6.0 update will be released for your market and operator. If there's any information available about this at the moment, your Local support and/or operator will have the information.

sony_sign_logo.png - Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums make sure that you have read our Discussion guidelines.
If you want to get in touch with the local support team for your country please visit our contact page.

52 REPLIES 52
Highlighted
Adviser
Message 1 of 53
Message 1 of 53

T-Mobile Xperia Z3 Future Support, Marshmallow, etc. Please!

When Sony says the Z3 series will be updated, the Z3 gets updated but the T-Mobile variant (D6616) is in the dark. Please let us know what the future support plans are for the T-Mobile Z3. We will get Marshmallow around the same time as other Z3s, and will additional T-Mobile features be added like WiFi Calling LTE Handoff? We just bought the Z3 not long ago and we need continued support please.

Adviser
Message 2 of 53
Message 2 of 53

Re: When will we get the Android 6 marshmallow update?

This answer is wrong and confuses people. The first step is Sony has to decide to develop the update. The last step is submitting it to the carrier for testing and approval/release. I'm specifically asking Sony if they are still developing for the T-Mobile Z3 (D6616) and if Marshmallow and other features such as WiFi Calling 2.0 (handoff to LTE) will be produced and submitted to T-Mobile relatively at the same time as non-locked Sony devices.

Emperor
Message 4 of 53
Message 4 of 53

Re: T-Mobile Xperia Z3 (D6616) - Future Development and Support - Marshmallow, WiFI LTE handoff, etc

@s1dest3p

This is something you have to ask T-mobile directly as it's up to them to decide if they are going to release it or not. 

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

Adviser
Message 5 of 53
Message 5 of 53

No. It starts with Sony - they have to decide to develop for it first. T-Mobile says the same thing - check with Sony.

Emperor
Message 6 of 53
Message 6 of 53

@s1dest3p

That's not quite how it works, Sony release the update to unlock phones and send it to networks, in this case T-mobile, they, T-mobile, could opt out of the update, or they can even say NO we won't update the Z3 to marshmallow. 

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

Adviser
Message 7 of 53
Message 7 of 53

Thanks for the help, but you're simply wrong.

Looking for an official reply from Sony Mobile.

Emperor
Message 8 of 53
Message 8 of 53

@s1dest3p

This should give you a better understanding on the update process

http://developer.sonymobile.com/2013/07/25/explaining-the-software-upgrade-process-and-its-improveme...

Emperor
Message 9 of 53
Message 9 of 53

@s1dest3p

This is a user based forum, if you want an official answer you can contact Sony directly, this is how>> Local support 

but make sure to check the update process link 

http://developer.sonymobile.com/2013/07/25/explaining-the-software-upgrade-process-and-its-improveme...

Adviser
Message 10 of 53
Message 10 of 53

You are flooding my post with irrelevant information. You aren't understanding what is being asked here. Sony has to first decide if they are going to develop for the T-Mobile version - this is what I'm trying to find out about. Then they would check with T-Mobile for approval.

I've already spoken with Sony directly and was directed here for a reply from Customer Service. Please just stop replying because you are distracting from the purpose of this thread.