account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Troubleshoot, find support articles, run tests directly on your phone with the support application.
Read more and discuss the app here.

Screen Not Working - Not Waterproof

Highlighted
One time poster
Message 1 of 98
Message 1 of 98

Screen Not Working - Not Waterproof

Hi,

Bought phone of eBay few days ago and used it on holiday in Duabi today in the swimming pool for less than 3 minutes at a depth of under 0.85M.  After taking 2-3 pictures the phone just froze and came to Lock screen and then the touch display did not work.

After taking out of water and leaving phone at the side came back to use and now screen is not turning on.  I have checked and called the phone and it works but restarted it several times and charged it but nothing comes up on screen.

CAN ANYONE EXPLAIN AS I WAS TOLD THIS IS WATERPROOF AND I TESTED IT WHICH I WAS SCARED TO DO AND NOW PHONE SCREEN DOES NOT DISPLAY ANYTHING!

97 REPLIES 97
Sony Xperia Support
Message 2 of 98
Message 2 of 98

Re: Screen Not Working - Not Waterproof

Hi HaroonAliXperiaZ3,

Welcome to the community! Since you're new please be sure that you have checked out our Discussion guidelines.

This is very unfortunate, in this situation I can only advise that you have the handset checked at a service agent, they should be able to check the device for any manufacturing defects. Please use the link below to find appropriate contact details.

http://www.sonymobile.com/global-en/support/contact-us/

I apologize for this inconvenience.

Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums, make sure that you've read our Discussion guidelines.

To get in touch with your local support team, please visit our contact page.

Inhabitant
Message 3 of 98
Message 3 of 98

Exactly the same issue.

10 seconds in less than 30 cm of water to take a picture...

Screen is working back now after staying all black for an hour but the camera has water in its lense.....

I checked and closed properly all traps (usb, sim...)

I was scared to this this functionality. I guessed I should have kept it away from water. (too bad for a phone supposed to be waterproof)

Inhabitant
Message 4 of 98
Message 4 of 98

A similar thing happened to me.  I bought the phone on Thursday and on Saturday checked everything was sealed and dunked it in water for about 10 seconds.  Was fine for about 2 minutes then it began to buzz, the screen glowed for about an hour, and I could do nothing with it.  Now it is totally dead.

Three where I bought it refused to do anything saying it was water damage - it was sold to me as a waterproof phone ffs!

I have now had to contact Sony and send to a repair centre.  I am so furious that the phone is sold as being waterproof with videos of people diving into water and taking pictures with it fully submerged.  It clearly has design faults on some phones that let the water in.

I am now if the horrible situation of having taken out a new 24 month contract and having no phone.  I am also seriously worried that Sony will ask me to pay for the repair/replacement.    Not happy at all.

Inhabitant
Message 5 of 98
Message 5 of 98

I am scared they refuse to repair the phone or send a new one also.Crying Face

I ve read some topics about people having the same adventure and sony refused to repair their phone and asked for something like 300€ to fix it !!!

So I'll wait for Sony's answer but I'd be very very disapointed with Sony if they ask me to pay for repairing the phone for a functionaly that is one of the main reason I picked this phone. this plus the remote play on my PS4.Angry Face

I have been buying sony's products for years (20 years) (TV, DVD, Blue ray, camera, alpha 77, playstation 1,2,3,4, PSP...) and I have never had to complain about their products.

I remember having an issue with my Playstation 1 and they repaired it without any problem.

So why would they refuse repairing our phones since it is clearly an issue of our devices.

They are supposed to be able to take pictures and movies in water if used properly so I don't see why 5 seconds in  20 cm of water would damage the phone.

So I hope to receive the letter from sony soon so I can send them the phone and they can repair it if possible or send a new one.

I was really enjoying the phone. I have just switched it from an iphone 4 and it is a big step forward.

But If I have to pay to repair something that is supposed to work properly I change phone and stop buying sony's product !!!!

So I hope they act like professionals and admit there were some issues with some phones.

Anyway When I'll get my phone repaired or replace I'll keep it from rain or water... I know it can sounds silly but but my Iphone 4 that was not certified waterproof have been used under rain and fell accidentally in water and it is still working after 4 years !!!

Inhabitant
Message 6 of 98
Message 6 of 98

I am exactly the same Alex.  This was one of the main reasons I bought the phone, I will be hugely angry if they ask me to pay for a repair or a replacement.  I will let you know what happens when they recieve the phone.

I am guessing that some phones aren't sealed properly, such as the back being loose, but I checked everything was completely secure before I put it in water.  Seems ridiculous they can make these claims about it being able to go to 1.5 meters for 30 minutes when it can't actually get wet!  I am beginning to think I should have just stuck with Apple.  The first time I change phones in 4 years and this happens.  

The quickest way to get it to a repair centre is contact the live support and they can send you the form you need to complete and post, together with the phone to a centre.  I did all of this today.

Good luck!

Inhabitant
Message 7 of 98
Message 7 of 98

Thank you. I asked for the letter to send the phone. Wouldnt like sony telling me i didnt pack it properly.
I still have faith on Sony. Didnt pay almost 700€ for a waterproof phone scared of water.
Alex
Inhabitant
Message 8 of 98
Message 8 of 98

Ok so my phone is working fine now...

It reacts fast, the screen is perfect...

All is fixed except the water in the lense. SO all pictures look blurry !!! I really can't keep it this way

I checked again in the traps and it is still white so water didnt enter the phone this way...

I am not sure what happened. Maybe something wrong with the lense or the glass? It looked fine before the test...

I'll let sony investigate it once they receive the phone. but I will have to wait at least 2 weeks before my new precious is going home.

It is going to be a long time.

Other than this bad adventure with the waterproof failure I still think it is a great phone. (better than Iphone)

But please Sony, next time just don't make me believe I can take pictures or videos under water if it is not 100% working.

One time poster
Message 9 of 98
Message 9 of 98

Same thing happened to me. New phone was submerged under 6 inches of water for no longer than 10 seconds before it started spazzing out. Not happy.

One time poster
Message 10 of 98
Message 10 of 98

HI,

I'm having the same issue. And now the phone doesn't work anymore. Unfortunatly i'm from France, and the page for repair the phone is not accessible in my country. I don't know what to do now.