account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

If you want to get the max out of your Xperia phone then check out Xperia tips page.

Screen Not Working - Not Waterproof

Forum Legend
Message 81 of 98
Message 81 of 98

Re: Screen Not Working - Not Waterproof

@dimitris_geo Sorry to hear this but you would need to either return your device to the place of purchase or contact Xperia care and have your device inspected http://www.sonymobile.com/global-en/support/contact-us/

Also your post has been edited due to foul language been used

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.   Richard P. Feynman

One time poster
Message 82 of 98
Message 82 of 98

Hi,

I have a xperia Z3. I briefly immersed in water of the pool. The screen no longer works. He seems to have taken the water. This phone is IP68. This is false advertising. It is a scandal. A real scam. I am furious. I must refer to my phone support and then wait for its repair perhaps for several days. I think I never will buy SONY phone.

Laurent

One time poster
Message 83 of 98
Message 83 of 98

I've been having the same problem with mine. Submerged the phone under water in less than 10 inches of water and the screen stoppe d working eventhough I made sure verything was perfectly sealed before submerging.

I had another one that was working perfectly underwater until I broke the screen by mistake twice (My own fault) but this one on first attempt it was ruined.

The screens black but after having it in the charger for a day, I can hear my email notifications and everything but as soon as I disconnected it from the charger it completely died. Not sure how I can backup my stuff now either. I have tried everything on reseting it and all but nothing worked. From the looks of it, there are a lot of people having the same problem which is really disappointing and frustrating at the same time bcause we all bought this phone for 2 main reasons, PS4 connectivity and being waterproof. Pains me to say if any of those features are not going to work effectively, then there other phones that are superior to Xperia.

Worst part is I just started my vacation and I won't be back home for 2 more weeks which means I will have to put up with not having a phone in the mean time. 

If anybody has found a way to get theirs to turn on, it would be a great help.

One time poster
Message 84 of 98
Message 84 of 98

I managed to fix the problem myself. 

The screen turned black after taking video in water in the swimming pool. 

I first tried desperately all kinds of tricks;  heated the phone, blew hot air inside using a hair-dryer, stocked it overnight in a bag of rice. Nothing worked.

i decided to open it. Took off some metalic components close the the usb input, to see dark spots due to chemical(the swimming pool water contains chemicals) and electric reaction.

i used an electric shaver brush and a tooth-pick to clean up the ( chemical dirt ).

i was stunned when I turned the phone on . Miracle!!!!

The phone WORKED like new.

I reassure victims of Xperia phones dark screen due to water leak. Don't lose hope.

If the water does not contain chemicals, the phone may return to normal after giving time to dry, one week or two...depending.  

If you are good at fiddling with electronics, open you phone and dry, clean up the responsable spot that causes short circuit, misfunction .

To open the phone go on youtube, there are videos that show you how. To open Xperia phones, using heat and the right tools

Note: I am still surprised how a phone would survive drowned electronic parts. Sony engineers must have worked hard to protect Xperia phones from hazardous electric shocks and short circuits...Thumb up!!!

One time poster
Message 85 of 98
Message 85 of 98

Too bad I need to join this conversation.

Went swimming in Cuba, brought the Z3 Compact with me to take pictures underneath a waterfall.

Great fun.

That evening there was condense behind the lens glass and I could only take blurry pics...

Also would the phone heat up and thus become very slow.

Figured I had to live with it and did not use the camera when the phone heated up.

On my last day in Cuba, a waiter bumps my phone of a chair and a small crack appears and half of the screen has no touch function anymore.

I sent the Z3 to Sony, awaiting the repair price of the screen, they send me the message that my phone is damaged beyond repair due to oxidation damage (a result of water and heat damage)!

Sony takes zero responsibility for selling a waterproof phone (highly marketed as one of the three points of difference versus other smartphones), which is not waterproof.

It's scandalous

Highlighted
Rookie
Message 86 of 98
Message 86 of 98

Wait?! they don't?!?! That's not very ethical!

I was so sold on the xperia line and invested heavily on accessories and even telling my family and friends. I never missed an opportunity to show off my phones fancy trick, submerging it in water but now I'm experiencing the same issue everyone else seems to be...

I really hope the phone returns to normal but I cannot continue to recommend Sony phones in good conscience. I hope they update their terms and conditions to cover water damage.

The FAQ site is not very helpful and sony has closed all its physical stores in the United States.

Thanks,

A disappointed and upset customer.

One time poster
Message 87 of 98
Message 87 of 98

Hello guys,

I washed my Xperia Z3 in fresh water at home, and after few minutes, one part of touch screen is not responding at all. Display is working fine, there is no way water could get in because everything was sealed as should, but this very important part in the middle of the touch screen is not working. What should I do?

Message 88 of 98
Message 88 of 98

hello sir! i got the same issue bout the touchscreen not functioning anymore but all buttons still working but 1 thing i still not tried to do is the off button besides the sim areas.. i just wanna ask if your camera lens have a water on it (blurred).. thank you sir.. im hoping my touchscreen will function normally once i try the off button besids the sim area

Message 89 of 98
Message 89 of 98

hi! i just had the same issue like you guys!.. 

my touchscreen is not working but the buttons on the side is working.. what i've just did on my z3 is i apply heat of iron and a pieces of paper  and then i place my phone between the sheets of paper. just did it many times then after an hour thats the tym i try to open my phone. i've experience the blank screen as well. until the screen picture came up then for my touch problem ive just restart my fone using the off button in the sim area you will see it. then voila! my screen is now responsive. my only problem is the blurred camera lens . since there's a moist. **bleep**! just want to share my experience.. spread the word guys it helped!

Visitor
Message 90 of 98
Message 90 of 98

Sony should be ashamed, selling us full T phones for almost $700 each. I bought my Z then z2 then z3 , with the understanding that they were waterproof, as shown in videos as well as in the store. I bought it with this feature not necessarily planning on using it in the water, but with the feeling that it would at least be safe from accidental wetting. I should point out, that all the phones from the original z all the way to the z3 were absolutely wonderful of the box! With the z3 being the best of the lot, having apparently addressed the battery issues. Every single phone including the XIII we returned to bricks with the updates that came. However the z3, running on KitKat, was great. I have at last count had a total of 8 Sony Z series phones, t-mobile having provided me with replacements at no cost due to faulty hardware / or update issue, the death knell for my z3, like with so many other people here, was a brief visit to the pool to take some videos of a summers end cookout. It is virtually impossible to contact any sort of customer relations with from Sony, as they make it impossible in such a circuitous route to try and talk to anyone. It's quite clear Sony does not care about customer loyalty, nor do they care about producing subpar devices what, simply out to get the money. I'm now using a refurbished XIII provided to me by T-Mobile, and I'm still paying the amount of money per month as I was paying for my brand new device,, how delightful :-)