account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up cart mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Screen Malfunctioning

Highlighted
One time poster
Message 1 of 10
Message 1 of 10

Screen Malfunctioning

Hi,

my 1 day old Z3 started flickering, then scrambling the screen 2-3 seconds after.

a few moments after that, it will fill with grey-purple stripes, and go black after that.

the screen is lighted, but does not show anything.

Tried to reset, but so far nothing helped.

Anything solution here?

9 REPLIES
Talent
Message 2 of 10
Message 2 of 10

Re: Screen Malfunctioning

Hi there. Sounds like a hardware fault to me. Your only option is to go back to where you got it from, or to your nearest Sony service centre.
Visitor
Message 3 of 10
Message 3 of 10

I'm having the exact same problem. I've had the phone for about a month and I was hoping it was just a bug, however I started reading various articles who were saying it is a hardware issue.

I purchased this phone on eBay from tropics mobile. They are based in Asia I believe. That is a difficult, costly return. So I went to my local Sony store but they said that since I didn't buy the phone from them they couldn't do anything.

This is terrible service. This is a Sony product. Well within the manufacturer warranty period. The phone only came out last month. It has never been unlocked,
And this is clearly a manufacturer defect. You guys really need to step it up if you want to compete with the other cellphone manufacturers. This is my 4th xperia. I've had the Z, Z1, Zultra before this. at this rate it will be my last.

Please help me get this sorted out.
Visitor
Message 4 of 10
Message 4 of 10

I have been auto generated the following case number 1-2302752945
One time poster
Message 5 of 10
Message 5 of 10

I've had my Z3 about 2 weeks, and suddenly the touchscreen stopped working, I reset it a couple of times and it still doesn't respond to touch. I then notice it has a very fine hairline crack in the screen, I've no idea how this has happened, it's never been dropped or squashed. There are no marks on it at all. I am really shocked, will contact Vodafone about it tomorrow but this must be down to poor build quality or a manufacturing defect. Things don't just stop working for no reason when they are 2 weeks old. 

One time poster
Message 6 of 10
Message 6 of 10

hi i have this same problem with my z3 after only 3 weeks did you get it fixed?

One time poster
Message 7 of 10
Message 7 of 10

I have also the same problem my z3 is 3 months old and during i used it for facebook it start flickering until the display turns black I bring it to my local sony store but they did not honor my warranty because I buy it in papua new guinea i already done pc companion 5 times still not works. Sony please help how to claim my warranty. Thanks
One time poster
Message 8 of 10
Message 8 of 10

ive had the same issue the past few weeks, then last week it was perminant, 
Sent it back to Sony and there customer support started to be fantastic, then i had a response that annoyed me, after everything i have been told, and read on sony web site

They refused to cover this on warranty, as there was a sign the phone was dropped, in the 18months i have had the Z3, and was told on the phone that i "should have wrapped it in cotton wool"

the whole out come of this has annoyed me, as its clearly a hardware fault, and damage my respect for sony product support, leaving me with a bill of £148 to have them repair it.static scree.jpg

Message 9 of 10
Message 9 of 10

Looks like it need tuning 😂
Visitor
Message 10 of 10
Message 10 of 10

I have had the same issue just happen a couple months ago (unfortunately outside my 1 year warranty now) I am currently waiting on a reply from Sony Mobile Support on whether or not I can send it to them to assess the phone. I have already been told it's water damage by Rogers Wireless (which I know cannot be accurate because the last time I exposed this phone to any sort of water was back in June 2015). I even had the back glass crack on me, and it was replaced with a genuine Sony back cover with NFC and everything. I was also extremely careful to treat the phone like a regular, non water resistant phone as soon as the phone had the back glass cracked. 

I have done every software repair/troubleshooting/diagnostic step possible (as instructed by Sony). Rogers unfortunately didn't look past the 'water damage' indicator inside the phone and wasted a month of my time waiting for the phone. I am so glad I will be leaving Rogers at the end of my contract for good. 

Anyways, as a lifelong Sony customer, I really hope they can help me out on this one without too much of an expense on my part. I have purchased: Sony Ericsson W580i, Sony Xperia Arc, Sony Xperia Z1, Sony Xperia Z3, multiple Sony Walkman products (when everyone was buying Ipods, I had minidisc players, MP3 walkmans etc), Sony Vaio laptop, Sony Bravia LCD, LED TVs, Sony Blue-ray player, Sony DVD players, Sony Speaker systems, Sony TV Boxes, Sony Cybershot W300, Sony camcorders, Sony Playstation products, Sony headphones (many), Sony Bluetooth Speakers, Sony Z Tablets (for which I have never had any issues), and in my family we've purchased Sony VCR players, Sony camcorders, Sony cameras, Sony TVs (trinitron) and Sony audio systems. Literally everything I own is Sony and I grew up with Sony products. I am sad to say that they have gone downhill in certain areas and I am now unsure if I will continue to be a lifelong Sony customer.

The picture shows what happens when the gray/purple colored speckle that flashes across the screen from the bottom takes over and freezes the screen, creating a Windows like error. IMG_20161112_131359.jpg