account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

If you want to get the max out of your Xperia phone then check out Xperia tips page.

Ringtone volume lower than music volume

SOLVED
Emperor
Message 21 of 71
Message 21 of 71

Re: New update, low sound

@RHMA @HANS_MZ

Have you read this

https://talk.sonymobile.com/t5/Xperia-Z3/Ringtone-volume-lower-than-music-volume/m-p/1117924

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

Apprentice
Message 22 of 71
Message 22 of 71

Re: Ringtone volume lower than music volume

I updated my Xperia Z3 (D6603) to 6.0.1 last week, I can no longer hear my ringtone. This is nothing to do with playing media (media sound has always been poor, but is now worse too) at the time of the call. It seems to be across the board as well, notifications are extremely quiet too, as is hearing people during calls.

I have checked the speakers, they are clean. I have altered ringtones and notifications, volumes, front surround, increasing ringtone and graphic equalisers. I maxed all the equalisers and that was the only thing that made any difference, which was minimal and distorted. I also noticed the increasing ringtone function no longer increases, it starts quiet and remains the same, which is the same volume as the ringtone when this function is switched off. I have tested this using the select ringtone and by calling the device with it off and on.

I tested it alongside an xperia z5 and in all areas the difference is huge. The phone is so quite now you cannot hear it in your pocket or from around 2.5m away, any background noise will also drown it out easily.

Any advice would be appreciated and if you need any more information let me know.

My device has not been in water, even though it's stated it can. Although how it can have a rating of IP65 and 68 at the same time baffles me!

Thanks,
Dan
Message 23 of 71
Message 23 of 71

I am experience the same issue here after upgrade to Marshmallow. I wonder if Sony will continue to ignore this issue. I am really thinking to buy a Motorola or LG phone and never, ever buy a Sony device again.
Message 24 of 71
Message 24 of 71

It was not in that way. When people says the ring volume is low even at maximum volume configuration, it really is. You can barely hear the phone ring even if it is at your side, in a quiet place.
Apprentice
Message 25 of 71
Message 25 of 71

@uliwooly @rickard I've read this topic a couple of times now and believe you're trying to suggest this sound performance is normal, if it was I would have returned my phone on day one, as being able to hear it ring is fundamental to it being useful.

None of the people posting in this thread are wondering why it's not as loud as the music. They're complaining that if it can be that loud, why is the ringtone so ridiculously quiet now?

I know some of the comments are nigh impossible to understand, but if you heard our phones (or didn't in this case) you'd understand fully.
Emperor
Message 26 of 71
Message 26 of 71

@Dan_H @Marcelo_Costa

You can get your phone inspected by your Local support if you think there's something wrong with your unit. 

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

Message 27 of 71
Message 27 of 71

@uliwooly, this is not a hardware issue. When you run the diagnosis feature that comes with the smartphone, the volume is ok. Only when a real call comes the issue happens. This is a 100% firmware bug because before the upgrade it did not happen.
Commissioner
Message 28 of 71
Message 28 of 71

I'm still ruining kit kat 4.4 and the ringtone has always been soft.
It sounds ok in settings >call>ringtone but is remarkably softer when a call comes through
Apprentice
Message 29 of 71
Message 29 of 71

@uliwooly At what point whilst reading any of my comments, or this thread, would you come to the conclusion it could be a hardware issue? The phones speakers are clearly working but the software is stopping them from performing correctly. I previously pointed out an issue with the increasing ringtone function, that is certainly not the hardware.

Why would people, like myself, make the effort to sign up and comment on this topic if "nothing had changed" since the recent update? I appreciate you make a huge contribution to this forum and help people out, but your responses here have been patronising. Naive at best.

The topic has been marked solved, even though the OP clearly continued to dispute this, and the title reads "Ringtone volume lower than music volume" instead of "New update, low sound". This thread is shadier than the TTIP!

Commissioner
Message 30 of 71
Message 30 of 71

So what you are saying is, that it was pretty low even on kitkat,and now on marshmallow it's even lower?
Who holds a fone to the ear to listen to music?
That's why we got a sony z3,because of its stereo speakers,