account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Troubleshoot, find support articles, run tests directly on your phone with the support application.
Read more and discuss the app here.

Phone shut down and restarts

Highlighted
Visitor
Message 1 of 5
Message 1 of 5

Phone shut down and restarts

What does it mean? Whats the problem?

4 REPLIES 4
Learner
Message 2 of 5
Message 2 of 5

Re: Phone shut down and restarts

I'm not sure. I realized the same behavior recently on my Z1.

I also realized this sometimes when I connect the device to the charging dock.

Maybe a battery issue.

C.

Sony Xperia Support
Message 3 of 5
Message 3 of 5

Hi @Senbil60, sorry to hear about this. Slightly frowning Face

When the device shuts down and restarts, are you doing anything specific in the device? For example, using a specific application or service?

A good place to start is to remove the SIM and SD card(s) temporarily as a defect SIM or SD card can cause the device to restart.

@Cybermat, sorry to hear that you experience the same behaviour.

Does this only occur when connecting the device to the magnetic dock or does it happen when you are using the device as well?

Let me know how it goes and please do elaborate as much as possible!

Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums, make sure that you've read our Discussion guidelines.

To get in touch with your local support team, please visit our contact page.

Learner
Message 4 of 5
Message 4 of 5

Hello again, Jonas!

No, there is no rule - at least no one I could identify.

Sometimes, but not everytime, the phone shuts down when the charging plug is connected.

Maybe "shuts down" isn't well described: it will be off within microseconds. Then the phone restarts and works fine.

This occurs in about 10% of the cases, and regardless the current battery level (20%.... 80%).

The other thing is, that the phone "from time to time" - there is also no rule, no specific time between two occurrences - shuts down and tries to restart. This can happen when I want to unlook it and press the power button to switch on the screen - most of the time this workes as expected, sometimes not.

And "try to restart" is well discribed: it fails everytime. There is a point in the boot process where it stops, goes back and tries again. Again. Again. Again. Again... then I push the red button next to the SIM card, and then it restarts correctly, and works fine, for one week or five... no rule.

-

This, the noticeable battery wear and the defective vibrition motor lead to my conclusion that it needs replacement (and to the other thread you answered). It's a pitty, but these devices are not made to be repaired. Uneconomic.

BR

Cyb

Sony Xperia Support
Message 5 of 5
Message 5 of 5

Hi again @Cybermat, sorry for the late reply!

It's very tricky to troubleshoot this since it's not like "it only occurs when I do this" and it also doesn't occur all the time.

You can try and perform a software repair using Xperia Companion, so we can make sure that this is not caused by the software at least. Do remember to create a backup using the same program, as all data stored on the internal storage will be deleted in the repair process.

The device can be repaired, but it may be a bit tricky since they are water resistant, but an official service centre has the correct tools to still repair them.

Keep me posted! Slightly smiling Face

Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums, make sure that you've read our Discussion guidelines.

To get in touch with your local support team, please visit our contact page.