account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up cart mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mobile World Congress 2019

Sonys Press conference from MWC took place this monday
If you missed it you can watch it here.
Please join the discussion here and share your thoughts on what was anounced here. MWC 2019 discussion.

Ok Google not working as expected

SOLVED
Adviser
Message 1 of 16
Message 1 of 16

Ok Google not working as expected

Minor issue but enough to be annoying...

So my friend has an HTC phone and can ask 'Ok Google' - "What will the weather be like tomorrow"... to which google responds with voice "Tomorrow forecast is ...etc..."

On my Sony Z3... I ask what the weather will be like ... to which  'Ok Google' simply googles for weather and shows me the google results on screen!

A few other commands seem to do the same and just google for internet results... how can I fix this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Adviser
Message 16 of 16
Message 16 of 16

Re: Ok Google not working as expected

Ok I think I've fixed it (somewhat...)

I went into settings > apps > google app > uninstall updates.

I then rebooted the phone and installed the google app updates from playstore again.

Now, it speaks to me when I ask what the weather will be like tomorrow. Seems fixed...

however, maybe it's me not using it correctly, but it's still pretty rubbish.. I then asked it a question my wife asks her iPhone all the time... "What time is my alarm set for?"

To which, 'google now' thinks the appropriate response is to google for "What time is my alarm set 4".... pathetic.

Can anyone else ask google now what time their alarm is set for? Before I throw this phone out the window and buy an iPhone?

15 REPLIES 15
Highlighted
Adept
Message 2 of 16
Message 2 of 16

Go to Google Now and go to settings. 

Then go to the voice menu and check that speech output is turned on. 

Adviser
Message 3 of 16
Message 3 of 16

Thanks for replying. Yes this is definitely turned on because it works on other functions like sending a message. (and I just double checked it was on Slightly smiling Face )

Adviser
Message 4 of 16
Message 4 of 16

Hilariously it does speak if ask slightly different question:

So as "What's the weather like in London" - it speaks back as it should...

Ask "What's the weather like tomorrow?" ... and it googles for the weather without speaking

Hate to say it as there is alot I like about Android, but it's not a patch on Siri's AI

Emperor
Message 5 of 16
Message 5 of 16

@Zefal

That's some feedback that you should take to Google directly Slightly smiling Face 

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

Adviser
Message 6 of 16
Message 6 of 16

Yea, maybe.
Adviser
Message 7 of 16
Message 7 of 16

But as I said my mate can ask what the weather will be like tomorrow on his phone
Emperor
Message 8 of 16
Message 8 of 16

@Zefal

Again, this is not something on Sony side but Google/Android. Just tested and it does talk back. 

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

Adviser
Message 9 of 16
Message 9 of 16

Slightly frowning Face
Emperor
Message 10 of 16
Message 10 of 16

@Zefal

Check if it works on safe mode, maybe another app its blocking this.