account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Troubleshoot, find support articles, run tests directly on your phone with the support application.
Read more and discuss the app here.

NFC turned off, BUT still using battery

SOLVED
Highlighted
Learner
Message 1 of 5
Message 1 of 5

NFC turned off, BUT still using battery

Hello. I bought my Xperia Z3 Dual this new year. The battery performance was outstanding initially. It was giving me atleast 2.5-3 days on those initial extra usage days when there's excitement over a new phone. There was minimal drain during standby times. And I've always used lollipop.

Screenshot_2016-01-19-23-26-02.pngScreenshot_2016-01-28-15-01-42.png

Now, I notice a usual drain on my battery. Sometimes it stays on a certain level for a long time like 1-2 hours, but sometimes 2-3% fall right in front of my eyes. After waking up in the morining, it has fallen 5-10%. When the screen is off, I notice 2-3% usage. It is now giving me at most 2 days and I don't think I use too much of the screen like I did before.

I'm using constant Wi-Fi and GSM services (2G probably) in the mobile network settings. No mobile data connection, bluetooth, NFC etc. The only main apps installed are Whatsapp, Skype, Viber, Mimicker Alarm. I've tried out stamina mode as well with these apps in active standby, but NFC stays.

Screenshot_2016-02-18-20-05-10.png 

When I check in the battery usage stats, NFC service is on the top, even though I never use NFC and it is always turned off. 

How can I get rid of this NFC? I don't think I'll ever use it. 3 or more days battery is far more preferable. 

Screenshot_2016-02-18-20-05-15.pngScreenshot_2016-02-18-20-05-21.pngScreenshot_2016-02-18-20-46-56.png

Thank you.

P.S I suspect that NFC service got here after I tried out "Smart Backlight Control" in the display settings. It was very convenient, but I immediately turned it off because I noticed NFC was turned on by its own. (I turned NFC off too).

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Commissioner
Message 2 of 5
Message 2 of 5

Re: NFC turned off, BUT still using battery

There are some gaps in your battery usage graph. Are those intended (ie you rebooted the phone manually) or not? If they aren't them your phone is randomly rebooting on its own.

As for your problem with nfc, I'd try to run the phone in safe mode for a while and see if it happens. If it doesn't happen them it's one app you installed acting up. If it happens then you should try to repair the firmware using pcc and if it keeps happening then you may have a hardware problem. Also test if nfc actually works from the diagnostics menu.
---
Was this helpful? Give me a kudos Slightly smiling Face
4 REPLIES 4
Commissioner
Message 2 of 5
Message 2 of 5

There are some gaps in your battery usage graph. Are those intended (ie you rebooted the phone manually) or not? If they aren't them your phone is randomly rebooting on its own.

As for your problem with nfc, I'd try to run the phone in safe mode for a while and see if it happens. If it doesn't happen them it's one app you installed acting up. If it happens then you should try to repair the firmware using pcc and if it keeps happening then you may have a hardware problem. Also test if nfc actually works from the diagnostics menu.
---
Was this helpful? Give me a kudos Slightly smiling Face
Learner
Message 3 of 5
Message 3 of 5

Thank you for the reply. Those gaps are ok, because I turned my phone off during the exams.

I'm now in safe mode and have noticed standby times are a little better (1-2%) fall in 1-2 hours, but considering there's no whatsapp working the problem might still be persisiting, as I also noticed a few more CPU usage seconds by the NFC service by itself.

However, I just performed the NFC diag test, and saw increasing NFC CPU usage in the battery usage. Then in the settings NFC was enabled! To check what had enabled it, I turned it off, and once again performed the nfc diag test, and this time the NFC remained off. So probably as I booted to safe mode, NFC was turned on by then?

Is the NFC test OK?

Screenshot_2016-02-19-14-56-07.png

I'll get back to you if the problem is solved or not. Thanks.

Learner
Message 4 of 5
Message 4 of 5

Hey! The battery seems stable in Safe Mode now. 

I just found out that HP Print Service Plugin app has permission to "control Near Field Communication". Could this be the problem?

Shall I force stop it (i might use it), or uninstall it?

Learner
Message 5 of 5
Message 5 of 5

Thanks. After uninstalling HP plugin, i haven't seen the NFC service so far.

Screenshot_2016-02-20-23-21-45.png