account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

If you want to get the max out of your Xperia phone then check out Xperia tips page.

Is there a way to disable the proximity sensor?

Learner
Message 1 of 11
Message 1 of 11

Is there a way to disable the proximity sensor?

So I cracked my phone a while ago, had the screen replaced at a local place and the screen looks fine, the phone functions almost 100% perfectly. 

The thing that bugs me is that the phone seems to have the proximity sensor always on. When I answer a call, the screen turns black, and I am unable to turn the screen on until the call ends. I would rather just have the proximity sensor completely off. I just want my screen to be on when I'm on calls, or at least able to turn on with the power button. 

Is it possible that a third party phone app can fix this problem? Please don't say to contact Xperia Care. They already confirmed that they won't fix my device since it has been opened. 

Thank you

10 REPLIES 10
Phy
Forum Legend
Message 2 of 11
Message 2 of 11

Re: Is there a way to disable the proximity sensor?

Yes there are third-party app, the best thing to do is to download some and test them out.

You can try something like the Proximity screen off lite app it seems to allow you to enable the screen off/on during calls.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.itsme4ucz.screenoff&referrer=utm_source%3Dgoogle%2...
One time poster
Message 3 of 11
Message 3 of 11

There is ONLY one way. This way is how to FIX the proximity sensor problem for all Sony smartphones. The proximity sensor is fixed in very, very precise position from the LCD. If you changed the screen, is impossible to fix a new one in perfect position. Also, if your phone is few year old, there is bigger distance between the LCD and frame. OK, what have to do? Remove battery cover (see how in youtube), find the sensor and make possible to move it closer to the screen. For example - Xperia Z5 Compact - proximity sensor is inseparable part from another buttons and it is allocated under back camera. Just remove the back camera and put small part of ribbing, 2x2x0,5 mm between the camera and sensor. Your sensor will work fine. Be careful when you do this. Do not use too thick pad, because is possible to unglue the LCD. Similar sitiation is with Z, Z2, Z3.  If you have Xperia LT25i, don't need to open. With powerful magnifying glass you will see very, very thin layer, coverering the LCD. With thin and sharp tool - razor blade - peel off and remove this layer. You will lost SONY logo, but your phone will work perfect. Good luck!

Regular
Message 4 of 11
Message 4 of 11

I have the same problem though temporarily I wipe the surface around the sensor after the call and it comes on again. Hope this will help you while looking for the best way to correct it. 

One time poster
Message 5 of 11
Message 5 of 11

I had the problem that the proximity sensor was always on after replacing a broken touch panel and I tried many things to fix it.

Finally i solved it by putting a tiny cotton ball in the left of the two holes of the sensor.

In the beginning this totally blocked the sensor so it could not detect  any proximity (which is better than always detecting something that is not there) but by making the cotton mass thinner I reduced the sensitivity in the correct value so now it works fine.

One time poster
Message 6 of 11
Message 6 of 11

The sensor on the Z5 is the small slit above the Sony logo at the top of the phone.

Over time this attracts dust that interferes with the sensor. Get a needle and gently scrape out any dust and this should sort out the problem without having to resort to resetting your phone.

Message 7 of 11
Message 7 of 11

Thank you kindly,I downloaded the appendix voilla, the phone is fixed,nice n simples.....

Learner
Message 8 of 11
Message 8 of 11

hi. What do you mean by appendix. Can you explain how you fixed this please?

One time poster
Message 9 of 11
Message 9 of 11

I have the same exact problem but I really tried everything except the third-party apps

Highlighted
One time poster
Message 10 of 11
Message 10 of 11

Proximity screen off lite app is absolutely waste of time